SPOILERS Fighting my desire for the "perfect" playthrough

#1 Posted by Mahogany (18 posts) -

I've just played through episode 2 in one sitting and it is absolutely fantastic however I found myself fighting my gamer instincts during the game. Over the course of both episodes there have been a couple of times where I've quickly quit the game after making a decision I regretted. It's sort of a reflex action I've built up from years of trying to get the "right" ending. In the minute or so it takes to load up again I've decided to make the same decision again and live with my choices. In this episode it was trying (and failing) to stop Clem eating the meat. For some reason I got him to shout ITS PEOPLE, I think maybe I've seen Soylent Green one too many times. So sorry Clem, I fucked up, and I'm sorry, but there's no going back.

Anyone else struggling with this?

#2 Posted by ToxicFruit (1717 posts) -

I am yes, a couple of times during episode 2 i wanted to quit and re-do it but i fought the urge and i feel fucking awful for some of the stuff that is now going to be with me for the rest of the game. But that is also kinda awesome that i actually have some emotional attachment to this world and the characters in it. I bet there are going to be a lot of messed up stuff in coming episodes which will make it harder to fight that urge but i am going to do my best to stick with the choices i made, even thought they are not necessarily the best ones.

#3 Posted by Undeadpool (4913 posts) -

I absolutely am. I have to resist the urge, though, because I don't think a "perfect" playthrough makes for as interesting a narrative as one that's full of flaws and mistakes. The game is all about not acting quickly enough, or doing the wrong thing under pressure so restarting it would seem to defeat all that.

#4 Posted by ToTheNines (667 posts) -

I've got two playthroughs going on.

1) Lee is a humane, caring, somewhat indecisive person. He's a good psudo farther for Clem. He cares a lot about the group and is generally self less, if it means him making moral and human choices. He just wants everyone to get a long and dosen't take sides if he can avoid it. Lee also maybe puts trust in people a bit too easy.

2) Lee is an introverted troubled person, he generally thinks in survival of the fittest and it tends to show in tough situations. The only person Lee cares about is Clem, he might not be a great example, but he's willing to kill anything that could or will hurt her. He dosen't want to lead, since he dosen't like the spotlight or the responsibility much. He much preferes Lilly's leadership, since him and Kenny dosen't get a long because of previous choices and he finds him too emotional. Him and Lilly dosen't get a long now though, since he helped Kenny kill her farther.

So very different playthroughs. and I tend to go through the games, thinking in what the certain Lee might chose and with the mindset I've picked for him. So I really fucking love these games and I can't wait for episode 3.

#5 Posted by Zaccheus (1789 posts) -

I regretted killing one of the brothers in the barn, I would have never done that if I had known that Clementine was watching... I have preemptively decided that there is no going back no matter what (outside of bugs or what ever) so I didn't even think about reloading. I kind of wanted to play the first episode again to make different choices, but I'm going to hold out until all the episodes are out to do that if I still want to. There is only one canon.

#6 Posted by warxsnake (2639 posts) -

I try to keep everything between me and Clementine perfect decision wise, everybody else I couldnt give less of a shit about. Well maybe not Glock carrying Carley, shes cool too.

#7 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

@JacobShOckgosu said:

I've got two playthroughs going on.

1) Lee is a humane, caring, somewhat indecisive person. He's a good psudo farther for Clem. He cares a lot about the group and is generally self less, if it means him making moral and human choices. He just wants everyone to get a long and dosen't take sides if he can avoid it. Lee also maybe puts trust in people a bit too easy.

2) Lee is an introverted troubled person, he generally thinks in survival of the fittest and it tends to show in tough situations. The only person Lee cares about is Clem, he might not be a great example, but he's willing to kill anything that could or will hurt her. He dosen't want to lead, since he dosen't like the spotlight or the responsibility much. He much preferes Lilly's leadership, since him and Kenny dosen't get a long because of previous choices and he finds him too emotional. Him and Lilly dosen't get a long now though, since he helped Kenny kill her farther.

So very different playthroughs. and I tend to go through the games, thinking in what the certain Lee might chose and with the mindset I've picked for him. So I really fucking love these games and I can't wait for episode 3.

There is only one true playthrough. You are doing it wrong sir.

#8 Posted by brownsfantb (389 posts) -

@Zaccheus said:

I regretted killing one of the brothers in the barn, I would have never done that if I had known that Clementine was watching... I have preemptively decided that there is no going back no matter what (outside of bugs or what ever) so I didn't even think about reloading. I kind of wanted to play the first episode again to make different choices, but I'm going to hold out until all the episodes are out to do that if I still want to. There is only one canon.

I did the exact same thing and immediately regretted it. I didn't go back and change it though, have to live with my decisions.

That brother was an asshole though.

#9 Posted by handlas (2664 posts) -

The f*ck-ups are the best part. Well, the ones that don't kill you and you have to continue. My complete screw up at the beginning of episode 2 was my favorite part of my entire experience so far. It couldn't have gone worse and I loved it!

#10 Posted by ToTheNines (667 posts) -

@NickL: Possibly =D But I'm enjolying the game twice as much.

#11 Posted by phantomzxro (1565 posts) -

@brownsfantb said:

@Zaccheus said:

I regretted killing one of the brothers in the barn, I would have never done that if I had known that Clementine was watching... I have preemptively decided that there is no going back no matter what (outside of bugs or what ever) so I didn't even think about reloading. I kind of wanted to play the first episode again to make different choices, but I'm going to hold out until all the episodes are out to do that if I still want to. There is only one canon.

I did the exact same thing and immediately regretted it. I didn't go back and change it though, have to live with my decisions.

That brother was an asshole though.

I third that i felt bad when clem saw it but that guy was a creep anyway. I left the other brother to himself and the many zombies.

#12 Posted by bassman2112 (820 posts) -

I felt terrible for having killed Larry. I've been thinking about going back and changing that choice, but I'm just fighting it and saying "nope, this is cannon now"

#13 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

I've got no problem reloading... In episode 1, I reloaded because I thought I failed to save Shawn (which turned out to be impossible), In episode 2 I reloaded after killing Danny St. John. At first it felt good to kill him, taking revenge for Mark (who I really liked), but I immediately regretted it when I saw Clem's reaction.

I reloaded again after taking the supplies at the end of the episode, I felt very bad for stripping that car completely of supplies... just to find out it would happen anyway. Then I felt bad for not putting Clementine first... as she now goes without food and that hoodie ._.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.