Stay FAR away from the disc release

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Falconer (1681 posts) -

This game is literally unplayable it seems. I decided to wait for the disc version for whatever reason. Well, I put the disc into my Xbox this afternoon and I can't install it. Okay... Maybe if I restart my Xbox? Launch the game and get the update? Yeah, no, still not working. So I go to the Telltale forum and see the chaos. The game has framerate problems, it won't let you go past episode one, or it straight up doesn't work on some SKUs. Oh, and there are still save problems.

This is the first time I can honestly say I'm okay with pirating a game. They got my money, and in return I was given an unplayable piece of shit. Thank god TWD can run on on my laptop.

#2 Posted by Snail (8585 posts) -

@Falconer said:

This is the first time I can honestly say I'm okay with pirating a game. They got my money, and in return I was given an unplayable piece of shit. Thank god TWD can run on on my laptop.

Will you calm down? Who's to say they won't fix this? Do you seriously think they don't want to?

Anyway, is this for both the PS3 and X360 version of the game, or just the latter?

#3 Posted by Falconer (1681 posts) -

@Snail: Why should I calm down? I payed for a product. Said product does not work. Should I be happy that I can't use the thing I just spent my money on?

I don't know about the PS3 version. I have an Xbox 360, that's what I got the game for.

#4 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4611 posts) -

@Falconer said:

@Snail: Why should I calm down? I payed for a product. Said product does not work. Should I be happy that I can't use the thing I just spent my money on?

I don't know about the PS3 version. I have an Xbox 360, that's what I got the game for.

Don't mind him, he's like the new

If you really want to play it, just pirate the PC version if you can run it. Whether Telltale patches the game into a playable state or not, it should not have shipped so broken. It's disgusting, to be honest.

#5 Posted by Animasta (14651 posts) -

yeah I don't blame ya OP, that sounds fucking awful (how exactly would the disc version be so different that it runs so poorly in comparison to the disc release? boggles my mind)

#6 Posted by Snail (8585 posts) -

@Falconer said:

Saying that you should pirate the game just because it's broken at release is immature. Especially considering that you have seen the game working just fine before, so it's not like it is intrinsically broken. And if they were to just not fix it, couldn't you get a refund from the store?

Has TellTale been saying anything on the forums?

#7 Posted by kaos_cracker (571 posts) -

The 360 version always had some framerate problems. I don't think you can install it because some data will be on the disk and some on the hardrive and it will be hard for it to keep up. GTA 4 had this problem with having the game and dlc installed and it was messed up. The game is playable man.

#8 Posted by Falconer (1681 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon: I'm amazed that it somehow made it through QA. But yeah, my friend sent me a link to a torrent. In Tested's QL of the Lenovo Yogo, Norm said TWD was playable on that machine, so I should be able to play it on my Sandy Bridge laptop. It's certainly not ideal, but I should at least be able to play one of the most important games this year.

#9 Edited by Snail (8585 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Falconer said:

Don't mind him, he's like the new

If you really want to play it, just pirate the PC version if you can run it. Whether Telltale patches the game into a playable state or not, it should not have shipped so broken. It's disgusting, to be honest.

I don't know what that means, but I take it it's an insult?

Generally when you pirate a game, no matter how legitimate your reasons may be, you are using a Peer-to-Peer method of downloading. That means that you are helping people with non-legitimate reasons get a hold of that game as well. Also, I'm sure Telltale desperately wants to fix this, since the promotion that the VGA awards gave them is likely to move a whole lot of boxed copies of the shelves.

So you know, you might want to consider who's being a dick here.

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "new". I've been around since just about the same time as that other guy you mentioned.

#10 Posted by Fallen189 (4944 posts) -

It can't be any worse than the PC version

#11 Posted by Falconer (1681 posts) -

@Snail said:

Saying that you should pirate the game just because it's broken at release is immature.

What? So I should sit on my hands until god knows when until they fix it? That's ludicrous.

Especially considering that you have seen the game working just fine before, so it's not like it is intrinsically broken.

I don't care how it runs on other platforms. If they're going to release it for the Xbox 360, then it should work! It's that simple.

And if they were to just not fix it, couldn't you get a refund from the store?

I'm certainly going to look into it.

Has TellTale been saying anything on the forums?

It just came out. They're still collecting info from people. They have no idea what's going on.

#12 Posted by Animasta (14651 posts) -

@Fallen189 said:

It can't be any worse than the PC version

PC version is heavily dependant on tech though, so it ran fine for me

but it running terribly on the xbox, considering the differentiations of the xboxes are hardly worth noting, is kinda bad for everyone rather than a select few.

#13 Posted by hammerface80 (1 posts) -

@Snail: OP already bought the game, I don't think Telltale is going to cry when they find out he's getting a functional version of the game after already having purchased a nonfunctional version. Furthermore, you act as if his seeding of a torrent is somehow going to increase the amount of people who torrent the product. If he actually cared, he could just upload at 1 kb/s and it would be like he wasn't even there.

#14 Posted by Snail (8585 posts) -

@Falconer said:

@Snail said:

Saying that you should pirate the game just because it's broken at release is immature.

What? So I should sit on my hands until god knows when until they fix it? That's ludicrous.

Like I told another user in this thread, and I'm just copy/pasting now, when you pirate a game, no matter how legitimate your reasons may be, you are using a Peer-to-Peer method of downloading. That means that you are helping people with non-legitimate reasons get a hold of that game as well. Also, I'm sure Telltale desperately wants to fix this, since the promotion that the VGA awards gave them is likely to move a whole lot of boxed copies of the shelves.

I understand why you'd be pissed though. But if waiting a few days doesn't hurt your chances of getting a refund, I'd wait. I'd really like to know how this got past QA though.

#15 Posted by Animasta (14651 posts) -

@Snail said:

@Falconer said:

@Snail said:

Like I told another user in this thread, and I'm just copy/pasting now, when you pirate a game, no matter how legitimate your reasons may be, you are using a Peer-to-Peer method of downloading. That means that you are helping people with non-legitimate reasons get a hold of that game as well. Also, I'm sure Telltale desperately wants to fix this, since the promotion that the VGA awards gave them is likely to move a whole lot of boxed copies of the shelves.

I understand why you'd be pissed though. But if waiting a few days doesn't hurt your chances of getting a refund, I'd wait. I'd really like to know how this got past QA though.

you can download pirated versions of games from places like rapidshare you know, so that's technically untrue.

#16 Posted by TheHT (10933 posts) -

That's fucked. I'm sure Telltale has top men on that shit. Top men.

#17 Posted by Falconer (1681 posts) -

@Snail: I'm aware of how torrents work, thanks. And I don't give a damn. I just want to play the game I paid money for. Also, I highly doubt "waiting a few days" is going to give Telltale time to fix the myriad of problems with this game. Not to mention the fact that I shouldn't have to wait for jack. (Other than this torrent, looooooooooooool *sigh*)

#18 Posted by Snail (8585 posts) -

@hammerface80 said:

@Snail: OP already bought the game, I don't think Telltale is going to cry when they find out he's getting a functional version of the game after already having purchased a nonfunctional version. Furthermore, you act as if his seeding of a torrent is somehow going to increase the amount of people who torrent the product. If he actually cared, he could just upload at 1 kb/s and it would be like he wasn't even there.

Like I told the OP, and I'm just copy/pasting now, if waiting a few days doesn't hurt his chances of getting a refund, I'd wait. But yes, you've got a point.

I noticed you only have one post, and just joined today. Did you create an account just to reply to me? In any case, welcome to the Giant Bomb forums.

#19 Posted by Snail (8585 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Snail said:

@Falconer said:

@Snail said:

you can download pirated versions of games from places like rapidshare you know, so that's technically untrue.

The "generally" got cut off when I copy/pasted.

#20 Posted by Strife777 (1504 posts) -

Have you even tried and contact Telltale about this?

I mean sure, it's pretty bad that it went through QA that way, but they obviously didn't put out a broken game on purpose, that could only be bad for them. So as much as I understand your frustration, there's no need to be so brash.

#21 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

Just download it, it's their fault if the disc doesn't work (assuming you already tried it on another machine?)

#22 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2450 posts) -

@Falconer said:

@Snail said:

Umm, yes? What entitles you to the digital version of the game?

#23 Posted by Animasta (14651 posts) -

@Strife777 said:

Have you even tried and contact Telltale about this?

I mean sure, it's pretty bad that it went through QA that way, but they obviously didn't put out a broken game on purpose, that could only be bad for them. So as much as I understand your frustration, there's no need to be so brash.

if you read his post he went to the forums and everyone there had problems as well

#24 Posted by DarthOrange (3852 posts) -

Seems to me you got two legal options, wait for it to get fixed (see Skyrim on PS3) or buy it on steam after you already spent $30. Or do the immoral thing and disappoint a very sensitive snail. 

#25 Posted by Falconer (1681 posts) -

@yoshimitz707 said:

@Falconer said:

@Snail said:

I bought a game under implication that it would work. It does not. I am now going to acquire a version of the game that does work. Seems fair to me.

#26 Posted by wjb (1645 posts) -

"But you can't complain because the story is so good...games are art...goty...zzzzzzzzzz..."

#27 Posted by RecSpec (3770 posts) -

That sucks, it sounded like the 360 had the most issues out of all the versions. You think with a disc release they would work to fix the problems, not make them worse. 
 However, I have to say it's kind of quick to just download it just after a quick forum check. You could have at least tried to exchange it, see if you had a faulty disc.

#28 Posted by Animasta (14651 posts) -

@RecSpec said:

That sucks, it sounded like the 360 had the most issues out of all the versions. You think with a disc release they would work to fix the problems, not make them worse. However, I have to say it's kind of quick to just download it just after a quick forum check. You could have at least tried to exchange it, see if you had a faulty disc.

but if a bunch of people on the forums are having the same problems he's having, that's a lot of faulty discs.

#29 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@RecSpec said:

That sucks, it sounded like the 360 had the most issues out of all the versions. You think with a disc release they would work to fix the problems, not make them worse. However, I have to say it's kind of quick to just download it just after a quick forum check. You could have at least tried to exchange it, see if you had a faulty disc.

I did notice more stuttering and longer freezes on the 360 than PS3, had quite a lot of bugs along the way too. Had to replay an entire section in episode 3 because the train just kept going and nothing was happening.

@yoshimitz707 said:

@Falconer said:

@Snail said:

Oh come on, who cares? He has paid for the game, does it matter what platform it's on? It's the same game in every way.

#30 Posted by Pr1mus (3825 posts) -

This game has been a trainwreck on the technical side and that they would mess up like this with the boxed version, considering that the last episode has been out for a month and the previous ones came out months ago is inexcusable. Anyway you paid for it so do whatever you want to play it and don't get into this endless argument over piracy, it's a waste of time.

#31 Posted by Falconer (1681 posts) -

@RecSpec said:

So I start the game, get half way through, have it shit out on me, then have to start a new playthrough on the PC anyway completely ruining my experience? No thank you.

#32 Posted by RecSpec (3770 posts) -
@Animasta said:

@RecSpec said:

but if a bunch of people on the forums are having the same problems he's having, that's a lot of faulty discs.

He can't install the game. According to him the people on the forums were having issues that lined up with the downloadable version. 
#33 Posted by RazielCuts (2942 posts) -
#34 Posted by jebara (64 posts) -

Its the same way on PS3 too,almost unplayable!

They should allow free download codes for anyone who bought the disc version.

#35 Posted by Insectecutor (1177 posts) -

Before everyone chimes in with "works for me" bullshit: it apparently only happens on the 4gb Xbox 360 slim. I guess it's a problem with caching game data in flash.

#36 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Quit being a whiny little shit and fucking return it.

#37 Posted by Falconer (1681 posts) -

@Insectecutor said:

Before everyone chimes in with "works for me" bullshit: it apparently only happens on the 4gb Xbox 360 slim. I guess it's a problem with caching game data in flash.

I've seen comments on their forum from people with other consoles experiencing problems.

#38 Posted by laserbolts (5314 posts) -

Crazy they didnt fix the game for the disc release. I enjoyed it but TWD is one buggy game.

#39 Posted by LiquidPrince (15857 posts) -

@Falconer said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@Falconer said:

@Snail said:

I bought a game under implication that it would work. It does not. I am now going to acquire a version of the game that does work. Seems fair to me.

Or you could refund the non functioning copy and then pay for a legitimate copy.

#40 Posted by ThunderSlash (1575 posts) -

@DarthOrange said:

Seems to me you got two legal options, wait for it to get fixed (see Skyrim on PS3) or buy it on steam after you already spent $30. Or do the immoral thing and disappoint a very sensitive snail.

Well he also has a third legal option: Get a refund and use that money to buy the game on the PC (Steam sale should happen soon, so he'll be saving hella money).

Note: I'm not condemning nor promoting piracy. Lord knows I've done my fair share of filesharing back in the days before our lord and saviour GabeN.

#41 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

@Falconer said:

People at TT get paid to put out a quality product. Failing the consumer whom went out of their way to give them business is a failure to perform at their job.

#42 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

Return it, then wait to see if they issue a patch. I'm a little irritated--I was hoping the disc version would have fixed some of the problems. A friend of mine was waiting for the disc version because he knew I had game-save issues, and hoped they'd be fixed. I guess I better tell him to hold off until Telltale gets this worked out.

#43 Posted by Xeirus (1293 posts) -

@LiquidPrince said:

@Falconer said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@Falconer said:

@Snail said:

Or you could refund the non functioning copy and then pay for a legitimate copy.

Ok, you people are being ignorant. All the money goes to the same place, lets stop acting like returning a game and purchasing elsewhere makes any different.

This thread is embarrassing.

#44 Posted by SuperJoe (871 posts) -

Hopefully you don't run into the problems I had with the PC version. I've said this before, but I believe this game was optimized for the PS3 then sloppily ported to the other platforms. This is based on A.) each episode being released earlier on PS3 as the leadoff platform and B.) far less PS3 complaints I'm seeing on Telltale's forums (which are a nightmare to browse). If this trend continues for Season 2 then I'll just get the PS3 version instead of PC to avoid the headache, graphics be damned.

#45 Posted by Chop (1995 posts) -

What magical retail store do you all shop at that lets you return opened games?

#46 Posted by zombiesatemycereal (426 posts) -

@Subject2Change said:

Quit being a whiny little shit and fucking return it.

Most stores don't let you return opened games you ignorant douche.

#47 Posted by LiquidPrince (15857 posts) -

@Xeirus said:

@LiquidPrince said:

@Falconer said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@Falconer said:

@Snail said:

Ok, you people are being ignorant. All the money goes to the same place, lets stop acting like returning a game and purchasing elsewhere makes any different.

This thread is embarrassing.

I'm not being ignorant. I'm just not being an asshole. The OP will end up having two copies of the game, when he only paid for one. They will most likely fix or patch a majority of the issues eventually but at that point the OP will still have his legitimate copy and one that he has pirated. I don't give a rats ass if he ends up pirating it or not, because I know a ton of people who pirate things anyways. But if you're not at least going to try and do the right things before pirating the game, then that's sort of a dick move. If I were OP I would try and return the game and purchase a legitimate digital copy. IF the game store did not accept the refund then I would consider other options.

#48 Posted by Zithe (1045 posts) -

@LiquidPrince said:

@Falconer said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@Falconer said:

@Snail said:

Yeah, because you know how great retail stores are about letting you return opened software. Almost every store I know of has an exchange-it-for-another-copy-only policy. I think OP was totally fine pirating a copy in this situation. He owns the game.

#49 Posted by Milkman (16543 posts) -

As much as I love Walking Dead, Telltale needs to get their shit together on this technical garbage.

#50 Posted by Dezztroy (776 posts) -

Thank god Microsoft has a lengthy certification process to prevent gamebreaking issues from happening.

Oh, wait.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.