Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead

Game » consists of 41 releases. Released Nov 21, 2012

Presenting an original story in the same franchise as the comic book series of the same name, The Walking Dead is a five-part adventure game from Telltale that follows the story of a convicted murderer, his guardianship over a young girl, and his co-operation with a roaming group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

The Game and The Show

IceColdGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IceColdGamer

Has playing through the Walking Dead by TellTale given anyone the need to watch the Television show now? I've never seen a single episode but think the Episodic Adventure was completely amazing.

Also, to anyone who does watch the show, are there any cross-overs from the Show to the Game? No spoilers please.

Such a great game.

kerikxi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By kerikxi

There's a few characters from the show that appear in the game, but that's really the only crossover I noticed.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

There are very few things that cross over and none of them are anything substantial. At least from what I've noticed.

nathos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By nathos

The game is actually canon with the comic books, not the show. (of course there are characters that appear in the show too, but the show is kind of a 'reimagining' of the book's stories)

The show is pretty great though, in its own way. Personally, I found the storytelling in the game to be far more powerful.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By frankfartmouth

I read the comics from about 04-07 or so, have watched every episode of the show, and I think the Telltale game series is the best Walking Dead product out there. There isn't much strict crossover, a couple of cameos and some mentions of things, but there's a lot of similarity in themes and general story presentation.

They absolutely can go hand in hand. Pretty complementary. But I'll be honest, if your introduction to The Walking Dead was through the game, you might be a little disappointed with some aspects of the show. It never really hits some of the notes that the game does. But it's still great, and really clipping right now in my opinion.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mordukai

My question is of the opposite. Would I like the game if I found the show utterly boring. Seriously, I found so boring that I had no desire to even give the comics a chance. Should have been renamed to The Talking Dead.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Shookems

@mordukai: I think the game surpasses the show in just about every way.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By DarthOrange

I've only played the first episode. I thought it was good but I wasn't blown away with it like some other people are. Do the later episodes have a high jump in quality or is it more of the same? I've bought the episodes, just haven't gotten around to the second episode yet. 

Also the show is pretty damn great. The first season is awesome, the second season drags in spots (no more then Breaking Bad) but is over all great. And the third season has been the best yet. The show is better then the first episode of the Telltale game.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Maajin

@mordukai said:

My question is of the opposite. Would I like the game if I found the show utterly boring. Seriously, I found so boring that I had no desire to even give the comics a chance. Should have been renamed to The Talking Dead.

Hated the show, loved the game!

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheJohn

@mordukai: I loved the game. Really, really loved it. It made weird feelings come out of my face at the end and left me speechless. The show started ok, but I lost interest fast. The comics are good to great, but I got bored with them after a while too. But the game was wonderful.

I never had any trouble with my save games, and even though the gameplay gets kinda clunky now and then it's still one of the best games I've played all year. So chances are you'll enjoy it, even if the show left you cold.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Hizang

@kerikxi said:

There's a few characters from the show that appear in the game, but that's really the only crossover I noticed.

What characters?

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By damswedon

@Hizang: Glen and Herschel from the first episode. Lily is in the Comic and is protagonist in a Novel, but Robert Kirkman pretty much changed everything about her. She is only really Lily in name and looks.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zeik

@DarthOrange:

The show would be pretty awful if after 3 seasons it wasn't even able to surpass the introductory episode of the game. Episode 1 has some good moments, but it's only the first episode, where they have spend time setting up the story and introducing most of the characters. Most of the notable moments happen in the later episodes. (As is the case with most episodic media.)

fisher81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By fisher81

I don't understand all of the hate for the TV show. It's the only show I even bother to watch on television anymore.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By DarthOrange
    @Zeik: Ok. I will continue with the game then. I remember people saying that the Back to the Future game peaked early though so I thought maybe that was the case here. Guess not.
    Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zeik

@fisher81:

I think a lot of it comes from fans of the comics, as the show made a lot of changes, and often not for the better. Others I think just got fed up with the pacing of the second season.I think the show is fine, but there's no denying it's the weakest of the 3.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By laserbolts

Obviously the show does fucking up zombies better but the game is better than it in every other way.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mrsignerman44

The game definitely surpasses the show and even the comics in every single way. That's very hard for me to say because i'm infatuated with the comics, i think it's the immersion of the game that allows it to surpass the comics. Video games are a great fucking medium.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
    deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the love of God read the comics and never watch the show!

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By golguin

I watched the show before the game came out, but after finishing the game and keeping up with the show it's clear that the game is better.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheHumanDove

The show is garbage compared to the game. Even the comic isnt as good as the game.

IceColdGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By IceColdGamer

I'm definitely getting a vibe of

Games > Comics > Show

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@IceColdGamer said:

Has playing through the Walking Dead by TellTale given anyone the need to watch the Television show now? I've never seen a single episode but think the Episodic Adventure was completely amazing.

Also, to anyone who does watch the show, are there any cross-overs from the Show to the Game? No spoilers please.

Such a great game.

I started watching the show after I finished Episode 3, I can't help but feel all these decisions in the show I should be making. Show is really good, some great characters and the best action in any TV show ever.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By civid

The second season of the show is a real drag, you could probably skip the middle of the season and not miss out all that much. It's mostly boring powerplay between Shane and Rick and Lori being a complete bitch... Oh yeah, and no zombies. Having seen the first 5 episodes of the third season however, the show really picks up speed. I would recommend the show just for that season, the characters are very different than the game and the practical effects are stunning. Still prefer the game though

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bell_End

the show started great... then went SHIT!!!! and now is great again. the new series has been really good so far.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.