The Walking Dead Episode 3 to be released in August

#1 Edited by jjnen (660 posts) -

Telltale announced yesterday that they are aiming for mid-August release for the Episode 3. Personally I'm a bit pissed off with their handling of "monthly release schedule" but can't say I'm that suprised.

Here is the announcement from their website:

Hello Everyone

First and foremost we want to thank everyone for their patience with regard to the launch of episode two of The Walking Dead. As you may know, it arrived later than anticipated and this has been a cause of frustration for everyone.

Our goal from day one has been to deliver your game episodes as quickly as possible, and where we can, simultaneously across all platforms and regions. We've been working closely with our phenomenally supportive partners to try to make this a reality. We will continue to work on this and furthermore, we will strive to improve our communication with you so that you know what’s happening. Please rest assured that we are doing all we can to get your game episodes to you as quickly as possible.

For many of you, the most important thing is to let you know when the next episode (Episode 3: Long Road Ahead) will be available, and although we can't give you an exact date at this time, we can say that episode three will be ready in the middle of August, and that we and our partners will do all that we can to release all platforms and regions as close together as possible.

The response to episode two has been overwhelmingly positive and we can't say enough about how much we appreciate everyone enjoying what we are creating. We’re truly humbled by your continuing support.

We look forward to your feedback on episode two and can’t wait for you to play episode three!

-Telltale Games

Edit: I probably should clarify something so I don't look like an ungrateful dick. It's great that Telltale announced this soon as they did and I don't really mind it too much that I have to wait this as long as it takes. It's only a good thing they're taking their time - quality before quantity after all. Still time management seems to be a problem for Telltale. And the second episode was so goddamn good... Can't wait.

#2 Posted by Nadafinga (957 posts) -

It sucks that they're not sticking to their "monthly" promise, but waiting a couple extra weeks isn't going to ruin the experience for me.

#3 Edited by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

Did they actually say they'd definitely do it Monthly? They usually say something along the lines of "a regular release schedule with the aim being monthly" but I don't think they ever actually keep to that. I certainly remember Tales of Monkey Island and Wallace & Gromit not adhering to it's planned monthly schedule. It's to be expected.

#4 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1908 posts) -

Give em a break, they're probably working like dogs to crank this stuff out. I didn't start following this game until after episode 2 came out so I don't remember any monthly promise. Even so I'd rather they put the time required to make the game good rather than rush the releases.

#5 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

this game rivals most full-out retail releases in terms of experience and playtime, for a third of the price. the fact that we're getting these episodes at all makes me weep, so i could care less if they take a few more weeks to make an incredible work. people will always find something to complain about, but this is as childish a complaint as it gets.

#6 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

This game has so far been one of the most enjoyable experiences of the last few years for me so waiting another couple of weeks for Episode 3 only bothers me in that I want that shit right now. They need a few weeks to perfect it? Fine by me. Episode 2 was worth the wait and hopefully this will be as well.

#7 Posted by Bocam (3669 posts) -

The third episode will never come out.

#8 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4521 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

Did they actually say they'd definitely do it Monthly? They usually say something along the lines of "a regular release schedule with the aim being monthly" but I don't think they ever actually keep to that. I certainly remember Tales of Monkey Island and Wallace & Gromit not adhering to it's planned monthly schedule. It's to be expected.

So tired of this. So, so tired of this.

Why is that we can't like the games they're producing and still be miffed that they're actively breaking their promise to consumers? Yes, the Walking Dead episodes are excellent, but that only makes me more upset that they can't, for the life of that studio, maintain a consistent release schedule for the episodes. That's a fault with the developer, and telling me "it's to be expected" does not alleviate Telltale of the guilt nor does it absolve them of the shitty reputation they've gathered. Whether or not you expect it doesn't matter. Their utter failure to live up to their own standards is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Call me a whiner or a crybaby if you want, hell, bring out that tired old horse called "entitlement" if you desire, but I paid for the season on the promise that they would appear monthly, on time. They haven't. Now Episode 3 is pushed back to August, and who the fuck knows how far that'll push 4 and 5 back. I have a right as a consumer to be pissed off about this. I can't just "opt out" of the rest of the season at this point. There's no "Fuck you guys, give me back my money!" option. I'm stuck. They have my money, and now I'm forced to sit and wait while I could've put that money toward a studio that has no qualms with delivering a product when they promise to.

But hey, it's to be expected.

#9 Posted by Daveyo520 (6651 posts) -

I will be awaiting eagerly.

#10 Posted by brownsfantb (389 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

@MattyFTM said:

Why is that we can't like the games they're producing and still be miffed that they're actively breaking their promise to consumers? Yes, the Walking Dead episodes are excellent, but that only makes me more upset that they can't, for the life of that studio, maintain a consistent release schedule for the episodes. That's a fault with the developer, and telling me "it's to be expected" does not alleviate Telltale of the guilt nor does it absolve them of the shitty reputation they've gathered. Whether or not you expect it doesn't matter. Their utter failure to live up to their own standards is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Call me a whiner or a crybaby if you want, hell, bring out that tired old horse called "entitlement" if you desire, but I paid for the season on the promise that they would appear monthly, on time. They haven't. Now Episode 3 is pushed back to August, and who the fuck knows how far that'll push 4 and 5 back. I have a right as a consumer to be pissed off about this. I can't just "opt out" of the rest of the season at this point. There's no "Fuck you guys, give me back my money!" option. I'm stuck. They have my money, and now I'm forced to sit and wait while I could've put that money toward a studio that has no qualms with delivering a product when they promise to.

You knew what their reputation was before you bought it so you knew what you were getting into. And besides, I'd rather have a great game a few weeks from now then a bad game today.

#11 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Can anyone produce a source or a quote where they said that it would be monthly?

If you can then I will believe you.

#12 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1230 posts) -

If it means a better product for it not taking a month then I am ok with this. I just can't wait though! The first two episodes are great!

#13 Posted by Ramone (2956 posts) -

I might actually have the money to buy it if it comes out in August

#14 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

I'd rather they take their time, rather than bang episodes out as fast as possible. Really enjoying the series so far. Looking forward to playing the future episodes.

#15 Posted by Choffy (440 posts) -

People actually pissed at Telltale for "breaking their promise" frustrate me. Are you so impatient that waiting two weeks is ruining this fantastic experience for you? You try writing a script, recording dialogue and creating the game in one month. You won't be able to, and they bit off a little more than they could chew.

Seriously.

#16 Posted by Bzilla56 (25 posts) -

@Breadfan said:

I'd rather they take their time, rather than bang episodes out as fast as possible. Really enjoying the series so far. Looking forward to playing the future episodes.

I have to agree with this.

#17 Edited by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

@MattyFTM said:

If they promised a monthly release schedule, you have every right to be annoyed. But no one has answered my initial question "Did they actually say they'd definitely do it monthly?". If they said that, sure, of course you should expect to get that schedule. But they never used to promise that. They used to very clearly state that they aimed for a monthly release schedule, but only promised "regular" releases. If they've changed that and if they promised monthly episodes for The Walking Dead, you have every right to be pissed off. Of course you do.

Not once did I call anyone a whiner, crybaby, entitled or anything like that. I was simply asking if they actually promised monthly episodes and commented on their previous claims and release schedules as I recall them. Don't put words into my mouth.

#18 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2484 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

@MattyFTM said:

Call me a whiner or a crybaby if you want, hell, bring out that tired old horse called "entitlement" if you desire

I will call you an entitled whiner crybaby. Also, stinky. Don't deny it!

I'm waiting for all of them to come out and then I'll play through them all at once, like I normally do with the Telltale stuff, usually at 30-50% off the original price on Steam.

#19 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

I appreciate the fact that they're being upfront in their communication

The delay of episode 2 wasn't the piss off, it was the lack of communication or acknowledgement that it wouldn't be released when they anticipated.

#20 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Honesty and taking the time to make an awesome game is a good policy.

I approve.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.