Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead

Game » consists of 41 releases. Released Nov 21, 2012

Presenting an original story in the same franchise as the comic book series of the same name, The Walking Dead is a five-part adventure game from Telltale that follows the story of a convicted murderer, his guardianship over a young girl, and his co-operation with a roaming group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

The Walking Dead: Season 2, do you want to play as Clementine?

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Poll The Walking Dead: Season 2, do you want to play as Clementine? (99 votes)

Clementine! Definitely. 43%
    Clementine? Maybe, if the writing holds up. 34%
    Clementine?! Are you serious? No way! 15%
    I don't play your sissy pants text adventures. 7%

With the first big details on Telltale's TWD Season two, we now know the story will continue to follow Clementine. Except this time around she is presumably left to fend for herself as the main character.

Responses seem mixed, I feel like playing as Clementine will provide an opportunity to reallly differentiate the two seasons, it certainly demands a different emotional approach from players. With the winter segment from The Last of Us being one of my personal highlights of this year, I'm really interested in seeing this world from Clementine's perspective.

So what about the rest of you?

• 
    SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Absolutely. Though I think it would be cooler if she were older.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

As long as the writing holds up, I'm up for whatever Tell Tale has in store for us.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

No. Clementine belonged firmly in the first season. I don't think either Lee or Clementine would work independently.

HappyCheeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think it will be cool to see the game from Clem's perspective. It will be interesting to hear her monologuing about the world.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Unlike a lot of the comments I've read, I think it would have been pretty pointless not to continue the story of the first season. Otherwise we would have just had another zombie story. I wish more time had passed between the last season and this one though. I'm not really sure how I feel about playing as her either, especially considering she's still so young.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wish they would have just gotten a new cast of characters. I felt that Lee and Clem's story ended so well with the last game, and I like the idea of just leaving it up to the viewer to decide Clementine's fate. I'm apparently in a minority when it comes to this opinion though, which is a bummer. :(

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Always!

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd prefer to be a character she traveled with instead, but hey.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

She was vital for the massive success of the first season, it wouldn't make sense to ditch her.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to play whatever they make for season 2.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i LOVED the first game. But well i dont know why but i'm not really excited for this at all.

Clem by herself isn't all that interesting, it was her dynamic and relationship with Lee that made it awesome.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I have confidence that this will be solid. They're mixing it up, and that's cool.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Funkydupe

@manmadegod said:

She was vital for the massive success of the first season, it wouldn't make sense to ditch her.

Only now she's not the vulnerable, unpredictable but surprisingly clever little child she was in the first season. Now she's a character controlled directly by the gamer. Does that hurt her appeal with the masses, I wonder. I agree with the OP that this is going to feel a lot different.

@clonedzero: Yes, the player's role was established as Lee from the very beginning of the game and going from the "parent/protector" role to actually playing as the girl will be different, and I'm not sure yet if its the right move by them. But we'll see.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zeik

I remember being hesitant about the idea when it was suggested right after Season 1 ended, but during the lead up to this announcement I was feeling really indifferent toward playing Season 2. The Clementine reveal actually reignited my interest in playing the Walking Dead, so I think they made the right call.

They could have done a new cast of characters unrelated to season 1, but I can't help but feel like it would end up going through the same basic motions with the same basic character archetypes. I think the reason playing Clementine got me a bit more excited because there's a much better chance it will mix things up with a unique perspective.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

No, I've always felt that they should be separate except maybe hints and nods to each other. I am less interested in Season 2 now.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Yes.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ShadyPingu

Sure. I think it''ll be exciting to see how Clem develops as a character with more direct agency.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FluxWaveZ

As long as the story holds up and it's not some kind of weird fanservice.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea of the Walking Dead continuing to follow Clem, but only if she doesn't become the player character.

Think about it. The thing everybody loved about Clem was how it felt like Lee was really raising her, to strengthen her and make her the type of person that could survive in a zombie-infested world. It was interesting because a lot of the things you did in front of her had implications for her future.

I feel like a lot of that impact could be lost if you just allow the player to control every action she makes. If so, then what was the point of having Lee there at all? How will she apply those lessons to tough decisions in front of her? How will she exhibit what she has learned? How will she have changed as a person? If you give the player authorship over that, it becomes way less compelling.

I'd love her to return. I'd love her to become the "main character" of the Telltale Walking Dead series as a whole. I'd love to grow up with her, and make decisions that could have deep repercussions for her. But I don't want to control her.

Of course, I'm sure the season will be great either way. Telltale is really good. But if I had to do it, that's what I would do. And then kill her off at some point to make everybody pissed at me.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

"I don't play your sissy pants text adventures. (Your vote)" This was the closest to my feelings, though not being true at all. It's not that I don't want to play as Clementine in the next Walking Dead Game, it's just that I don't really want to play another Walking Dead game. The first one was one of the best blind purchases I have ever made and it did exactly what it wanted to do. I felt for the characters, I teared up at the end, it was great.

I don't want to do it again. Not everything needs to have a sequel. I liked how the story was wrapped up, and the announcement and everything surrounding 800 days had me incredibly uninterested (so much so that I have yet to play it).

But that's just my opinion.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By YoThatLimp

@random45 said:

I really wish they would have just gotten a new cast of characters. I felt that Lee and Clem's story ended so well with the last game, and I like the idea of just leaving it up to the viewer to decide Clementine's fate. I'm apparently in a minority when it comes to this opinion though, which is a bummer. :(

Yeah, I know it is kind of leaving easy money on the table but i was hoping they'd go bold and do a new story for season 2.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yinstarrunner: I actually thinks that's way more of a valid argument for making her the player character over not. With her under the control of the player you can make sure she stays within the context of how you feel she would have developed after season 1. Of course, you would still be able to go outside those lines if you chose (and ideally the game would be able to recognize that), but that's the players choice.

If it's simply left up to the writers alone to write her role in the story there's next to no chance they would be able to write her in a way that would factor in every decision you made in season 1 and every player's personal viewpoint on how that would affect her. Even if their system for applying consequences to choices was way way more complex and could actually factor in all that stuff from season 1, the amount of variable writing that would require would be ridiculous.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By yinstarrunner

@zeik: I disagree. First off, everything I've said has been under the assumption they even let you import your save from the first game. If not, then it's all out the window.

I don't think it would be too hard to insert some alternate line readings every once in a while, just a little here and there. Subtlety does speak volumes, and you can still continuing building the character around the broad strokes of the happenings in the first season. Maybe throw in a couple instances where she would make different decisions based on what she had learned from Lee. It could be a little tricky, of course, but that's what the Walking Dead was all about anyway: tricking the player into thinking their choices have more impact than they did. I think I could do it. And if I can, I'm sure Telltale could.

Secondly, I just love the idea of creating another character through your actions. I don't think games really explore this type of storytelling too often. Understand that people are inherently a little chaotic; storms of emotion predicated on perceptions of events that, in turn, influence longer habits and worldview. I find the premise of trying to influence someone, in subtle and not-so-subtle ways over a long period of time, to be much more interesting and unique than just letting someone take complete control of her. To do so would be to intentionally calm the growth of a young person, and allow the player to craft her into their perfect vision, instead of a more interesting, flawed version of the person they want her to be.

But hey, this is just my opinion, and I'm not sure if I'm explaining it well.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zeik

@yinstarrunner: Edit: Arrrgh, why do you keep posting blank messages Giantbomb? I don't want to type all that over again! :(

(I'm just going to leave gist of it.) Trying to carry over too many choices from season 1 is bad. That was what Mass Effect tried and did wrong. Having the player dynamically decide what those choices meant within season 2 is a smarter approach.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

If it was an entirely new cast of characters, everyone would just be comparing them to the season 1 characters. I was going to play this no matter but I think this is definitely the best way to go. The idea that she is now carrying some of the traits and lessons that you (as Lee) taught her in season 1 sounds really interesting.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I'd be most fascinated by multiple perspectives and protagonists/antagonists to act through, but I think she's a strong enough character I wouldn't mind seeing her as the focus.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#27  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I question if I want to play another season of The Walking Dead at all. For as good as that first season really is, I doubt Telltale will be able to make lightning strike twice, either just for me or for players as a whole. To be fair, I'm also incredibly sick of Zombie stuff at this point and that first season might have been what broke me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I want an entirely new cast of characters.

sixnahalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah agree with Godly hoping for a new cast to be seen on the TWD. :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.