Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead

Game » consists of 41 releases. Released Nov 21, 2012

Presenting an original story in the same franchise as the comic book series of the same name, The Walking Dead is a five-part adventure game from Telltale that follows the story of a convicted murderer, his guardianship over a young girl, and his co-operation with a roaming group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

This is how you save your game progress from glitching.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By napalm

Hey all.

I see a bunch of people still complaining how their saves are fucked and when starting chapter x, they automatically get booted back to the beginning of chapter one.

This fix is confirmed on the Xbox 360. This has not been tested on the PlayStation 3 or the PC, but it's worth a shot! If you try it on one of those consoles, please post here so that I can add a confirmation for those systems.

Here we go. (Fix 1)

a1. First off, you must save your game to slot one originally. If the corrupted/glitch'd game isn't in slot one, I don't know what to tell you. You can try copying it to slot one, but I can't guarantee that it'll work.

a2. When your save game glitches and kicks you back to chapter one, do not play any of chapter one. This will more than likely overwrite your save if you hit a checkpoint.

b. Load up the start game menu and go to wherever you can view the save game slots.

c. Highlight save slot one, copy your game, and then select save slot three to copy your gave save there.

d. Load up your game from save slot one and voila!

This was originally from the Telltale Games forum, and this is confirmed to work for the Xbox 360. This fixed my glitch when I got to chapter four. Telltale and other posters on the Telltale Games forum mention that when you exit your game, to go through the proper screens (both when in game and sitting in the game start menu) to avoid any save issues. They say these increase the chances of your save game corrupting/glitching.

What version does Fix 1 work for?

Xbox 360 - CONFIRMED.

PlayStation 3 - UNCONFIRMED.

PC - UNCONFIRMED.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Snail

Thanks for sharing. Hope I never need to use this.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jking47

That is straight up bizarre.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By probablytuna

I played it on PC and thankfully never encountered this issue. I had decided to only go through the game once to make my choices feel like they actually matter so I was incredibly lucky to not have to play through the episodes a second time.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By napalm

I asked a moderator to sticky this as people are still asking how to get their saves back.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By BisonHero
    @Napalm So just copying the original file to a different slot uncorrupts the original file? Does it somehow not work with slot 2? Weird.
    ashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By ashton

shit just tried it and no go for me. fuckkkk

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CptBedlam

I think my savegame glitched a few hours ago in chapter 4. I exited the game, came back and it threw me into chapter 1. I was about to go apeshit and already decided to walk away from the game completely if I had to replay all of the previous chapters. I tried a few more times to start chapter 4 and on the fourth try (or so) it finally played the intro to chapter 4. I really thought it was over for a moment there. Phew!

Telltale really needs to step up their game on the technical side of things. Also, I'm usually pretty tolerant regarding framedrops when I see a game doing a whole lot of shit graphically but with TWD there's really no reason for the constant hiccups ... except for their extremely shitty engine.

ashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ashton

@Napalm: Thanks for the copying tip. Worked for me after failing from slot 3, worked in slot 2. Too bad there are so many bugs, hopefully there is a patch out by the time im ready for a second play through.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By napalm

@ashton said:

@Napalm: Thanks for the copying tip. Worked for me after failing from slot 3, worked in slot 2. Too bad there are so many bugs, hopefully there is a patch out by the time im ready for a second play through.

Can you tell me the process you went through to get it to work? Did you copy it from save slot one, then to save slot two, and that worked?

ashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ashton

@Napalm: Copied from Slot 1 to 3. Loaded 3 and got same glitch as playing from Slot 1 - Straight up would not load episode 3 and also froze me out when I opened up the stat menu on slot 3 - just showed red bars and had to press the xbox button and go back to dashboard. After that I Copied Slot 1 to 2. Loaded up 2 and was able to load play the episode although there was a crazy long load time (nearly 5 minutes). So now I have 3 full slots. Im gonna try to play from slot 1 and 3 tonight (let you know how that goes) but it works from slot 2 for me.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By napalm

@ashton: Did you read the instructions in my OP?

Let me highlight the bit that you missed, which is why it didn't work for you:

@Napalm said:

c. Highlight save slot one, copy your game, and then select save slot three to copy your gave save there.

d. Load up your game from save slot one and voila!

ashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ashton

@Napalm: I did try going back to slot 1 first and it was a no go. Wouldn't load chapter 3 (froze every time on some screen that asks about rewinding - gave me a no or yes option with no button prompts) and looking at the stats from chapter 2 would also freeze the game (only showed red bars with no descriptions of the choices and no buttons would work to back me out to the previous menu had to go to the dashboard and reload the game.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By napalm

@ashton: What console are you playing on, and what version do you have? (DLC episodes or boxed release?)

ashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ashton

@Napalm: 360 boxed release

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.