This is the game of the year.

• 88 results
#1 Posted by TheAsker (26 posts) -

I just finished the last episode and I'm still shaken. What an absolutely beautiful conclusion to a masterful game. I haven't been this emotionally overwhelmed from a piece of fiction since I read The Road, which was years ago. I feel compelled to recommend this game to everyone I know, those who play or do not play video games. In a year with disappointing sequels and tired franchises, here comes an ADVENTURE game to blow everything else out of the water. I consider this a triumph.

#2 Posted by Hadoken101 (817 posts) -

I get how the people who have had serious technical issues would disagree, but this is definitely the game I've enjoyed the most this year.

#3 Posted by eskimo (477 posts) -

I had serious technical issues across multiple episodes and its still looking like my GOTY.

Finished it last night, been thinking about it at work all day.

#4 Posted by thaijedi (140 posts) -

Had very minimal technical issues. Not GOTY but defs top 10

#5 Posted by theoracleofgame (96 posts) -

This was a really awesome experience, but I wouldn't call it GOTY. I just didn't have the same emotional connection others had. Depressing? Certainly. Tears? Not for me. XCOM has gotten me more emotional than this.

#6 Posted by Schmollian (265 posts) -

Couldn't agree more.

Every person who plays video games, or just enjoys a good story, should play this game.

Every. Person.

#7 Posted by xyzygy (10030 posts) -

Think they'll release a boxed edition with all the episodes? Really hate owning digital copies of things...

#8 Posted by Roadshell (42 posts) -

Choose Your Own Adventure TV Series of the Year? Certainly. GAME of the year? Nah.

Don't get me wrong, this is really good at what it's doing, but I wouldn't go around comparing it to regular games. It just doesn't see fair to me.

#9 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5720 posts) -

@eskimo: @Hadoken101: XCOM has serious technical issues too! Whatever will done? AC3 is penalized heavily for technical problems, all but overlooked in XCOM, but will Walking Dead lose out due to them!?

#10 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

Think they'll release a boxed edition with all the episodes? Really hate owning digital copies of things...

If you have access to a Gamestop, then yes. PS3 and 360 versions ahoy for December.

#11 Posted by Giantstalker (1688 posts) -

@Roadshell said:

Choose Your Own Adventure TV Series of the Year? Certainly. GAME of the year? Nah.

I think you're on to something here. I couldn't get past the first episode, largely because I find adventure games tedious and boring, but from that standpoint I can totally see why people would like it.

#12 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

@eskimo: @Hadoken101: XCOM has serious technical issues too!

I literally just started XCom and ran into a bug that wouldn't let me select a starting continent, so yeah. That's after they've had time to patch it...

But whatever. I think all of my favorite games this year have also had game-breaking bugs in them.

#13 Edited by Peanut (954 posts) -

I honestly felt like playing each episode was a total drag, especially the action-y sequences. If I could have sat and watched it being played, the way my fiance did, I probably would have enjoyed it more. Also, if the game wasn't an unpolished mess. Frame rate dips, lip sync issues, awkward cut-away scenes where characters go into a default stance right before loading, the fact that my save game worked ONCE throughout the entire process has also brought my enthusiasm down a lot.

I loved the characters and some of the story beats, but as a "game" I can't say I think it's very good.

#14 Edited by Ares42 (2729 posts) -

Not to be a party-pooper, but I played the first episode and didn't really find it that interesting. The fact that they pulled one over on me with the whole store scene didn't help. Watched the "up next" trailer for episode 2 and it didn't grab me at all. Should probably give it another shot though (especially if the episodes are about as short as the first), but it left a sour taste in my mouth with how certain aspects are handled.

I think maybe my biggest issue (although not as much for me, as I spend a lot of time reading/writing English) is the fact that having the time-crunch and not having English as my first language can be a real fucker. I can imagine the game being completely unplayable for people with lesser English comprehension.

#15 Edited by Jazzycola (662 posts) -

I enjoyed Walking Dead but it's not much of a game and the action parts(that feel like a game) are really annoying. Hell, I even felt that the last episode tried to pull off those so epic killing sprees that the show does, but it just looks janky and really weird (Lee with a cleaver and that group of zombies). Also, I feel like the season ending villain was really pulling at strings.

However, this is the only Tell Tale game I have been able to finish without being bored into playing something else...so that's saying something.

#16 Edited by MstrMnyBgs (124 posts) -

People that only played Episode one really shouldnt agree or disagree with the topic. That is like hating XCOM because you have no weapons in the first 3 missions, or hating AC3 because of how the opening is dealt with. Episode 1 is often regarded as one of the weakest of the 5 because it has to set up characters and the situation as a whole. Play through all 5, then you are free to agree or disagree.

For instance, I absolutely hated 999 on the DS because the beginning of it is basically an hour straight of text, but then once I sat down with it again later and fought through that beginning, it really became its own experience. Just like the Walking Dead.

#17 Posted by JacobG (39 posts) -

@Roadshell said:

Don't get me wrong, this is really good at what it's doing, but I wouldn't go around comparing it to regular games. It just doesn't see fair to me.

I find myself agreeing more with this. It's probably my favorite story of the year, but not GOTY. The actual "playing" of the game wasn't really that great to me. Often times I found myself just wanting to skip over the gameplay portions so I could get to a cutscene and make some difficult choices.

#18 Posted by TheAsker (26 posts) -

For those who only completed the first episode, why are you on The Walking Dead forum?

#19 Posted by Giantstalker (1688 posts) -

@MstrMnyBgs: Does the gameplay get dramatically better after the first episode? This is the stumbling block a lot of people are talking about. The story can be great, but if it's not fun to actually do anything, you're just going to lose some people (like myself).

#20 Posted by Nightriff (5152 posts) -

Its a great game, it is definitely a contender but Journey is just a whole other animal, can't wait for the discussion

#21 Posted by Peanut (954 posts) -

@Giantstalker: If anything it gets worse. Less puzzle solving, more button prompts and wildly swinging your cursor around the screen in action scenes to find a spot to interact with.

#22 Posted by Ares42 (2729 posts) -

@TheAsker said:

For those who only completed the first episode, why are you on The Walking Dead forum?

Because the topic shows up in the site activity section ?

#23 Edited by Jazzycola (662 posts) -

@Giantstalker: I'd say it gets worse especially in 4 and 5 when it starts throwing action sequences at you since in reality these sequences are just QTEs.

#24 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Maybe if it wasn't for the awful technical issues I had with every single episode besides the fifth one it would be GOTY for me. It's still one hell of a game and definitely one of my favorites this year.

#25 Posted by HistoryInRust (6335 posts) -

It's certainly my Game of the Year. But I'm speaking as someone who hasn't played XCOM, or Assassin's Creed, or Call of Duty, or Journey, or Dust.

#26 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2056 posts) -

I think a visual novel should win GotY, but not this one. Virtue's Last Reward should.

#27 Posted by Itwastuesday (975 posts) -

Until now, my pick for GOTY had been.... the Dark Souls DLC. Because it made me play Dark Souls again. I picked this up in the steam sale and just finished Ep.1. So far it seems like a shoe in.

I WANTED TO LIKE YOU XCOM WHY ARE YOU SO GODDAMN BUGGY

#28 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -
@Ares42 said:

Not to be a party-pooper, but I played the first episode and didn't really find it that interesting. The fact that they pulled one over on me with the whole store scene didn't help. Watched the "up next" trailer for episode 2 and it didn't grab me at all. Should probably give it another shot though (especially if the episodes are about as short as the first), but it left a sour taste in my mouth with how certain aspects are handled.

I think maybe my biggest issue (although not as much for me, as I spend a lot of time reading/writing English) is the fact that having the time-crunch and not having English as my first language can be a real fucker. I can imagine the game being completely unplayable for people with lesser English comprehension.

Regarding the underlined; i have a similar issue with the timed dialogue choices, although for different reasons.  I am autistic.  The problem I have is that I cannot concentrate on the on-screen action, read the dialogue options, and quickly select one all at once.  I cannot read every choice before time has elapsed in many cases.  This makes these games unplayable for me.   I realize the short time is deliberate in order to give the player a sense of tension and rush.  I just wish there was an option to turn it off, so that people who are cognitively disabled or not native english speakers can still be able to play through the story. 
#29 Posted by bvilleneuve (265 posts) -

This is definitely one of my favorite games of the year. I don't know if I'd commit to calling it Game Of The Year with important capital letters or anything, but it deserves recognition for what it does.

Even if the fourth episode was tedious, overly long, and largely unnecessary.

#30 Posted by FengShuiGod (1492 posts) -

@HerbieBug said:

@Ares42 said:

Regarding the underlined; i have a similar issue with the timed dialogue choices, although for different reasons. I am autistic. The problem I have is that I cannot concentrate on the on-screen action, read the dialogue options, and quickly select one all at once. I cannot read every choice before time has elapsed in many cases. This makes these games unplayable for me. I realize the short time is deliberate in order to give the player a sense of tension and rush. I just wish there was an option to turn it off, so that people who are cognitively disabled or not native english speakers can still be able to play through the story.

When the choice comes up you could always pause it and consult a walkthrough. Just be careful not to read too far ahead.

#31 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

I agree completely. I could feel myself going in that direction after the first couple of episodes, but the ending just drove it home for me. I get the argument that it's not as much a "game" as a lot of the other major releases this year--and because of that it certainly won't win any major GOTY awards--but none of that matters to me. It IS a game. There are notes that it hits that only a game can provide. But more importantly, it was the most enjoyable thing I played all year. It doesn't need to have a robust, complex battle system and polished cinematics to be a "real" game to me. Just a purely enjoyable, engrossing, poignant interactive story. Yes that's all it is. And that's good enough. Nothing wrong with simplicity. As far as bugs, I encountered none so I have to just bow out of that one. Just a really great game.

#32 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -
@FengShuiGod said:

@HerbieBug said:

@Ares42 said:

Regarding the underlined; i have a similar issue with the timed dialogue choices, although for different reasons. I am autistic. The problem I have is that I cannot concentrate on the on-screen action, read the dialogue options, and quickly select one all at once. I cannot read every choice before time has elapsed in many cases. This makes these games unplayable for me. I realize the short time is deliberate in order to give the player a sense of tension and rush. I just wish there was an option to turn it off, so that people who are cognitively disabled or not native english speakers can still be able to play through the story.

When the choice comes up you could always pause it and consult a walkthrough. Just be careful not to read too far ahead.

What?  No.  That would defeat the whole point of playing the game.   All they need to do is code in an option to disable the dialogue option timers in the options menu.  Disable achievements as a trade off for that, I don't care. 
#33 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

It's certainly my game of year. Say what you will about shitty action sequences, or the lack of any real gameplay, but no other game had me as emotionally invested as The Walking Dead.

#34 Posted by Encephalon (1284 posts) -

It's definitely my game of the year.

#35 Edited by FengShuiGod (1492 posts) -

@HerbieBug said:

@FengShuiGod said:

@HerbieBug said:

@Ares42 said:

What? No. That would defeat the whole point of playing the game. All they need to do is code in an option to disable the dialogue option timers in the options menu. Disable achievements as a trade off for that, I don't care.

I don't mean you should consult a walkthrough to find out what happens, just read up to where you are so you can read the choice if you can't read it while it's on screen. Or use something like thisand just look at the pictures. That way you can actually read the dialogue choice and have some sort of hand in how the game plays out. Yes, it defeats the tension of the diminishing timer bar, but so does removing that bar, and until they actually do so (and they won't) it beats being unable to play the game, right?

#36 Posted by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

I can't agree with a game being called GOTY based only on its story and that's all The Walking Dead has, a story. The gameplay part boils down to classic point and click for exploration and boring QTEs for the action and a lot of the action sequences are poorly done.

I've said it in another thread but i feel like other games like Heavy Rain and L.A. Noire have made the basic interaction with items or action sequences based around QTEs more engaging and dynamic while also giving the players more options and control over how the story progress.

I can understand the emotional impact the story can have and how that can leave a very strong impression for a long time but i can't help comparing it to these other games that actually evolved the adventure genre and added to it while The Walking Dead from a design perspective could very much have been released 15 years ago.

#37 Posted by bushpusherr (809 posts) -

I'ts essentially a visual choose-your-own-adventure book...I'm totally down for celebrating what it did with characters and story, and creating emotional connections and all that. Deserves it's praise for that, but calling it "game" of the year? I don't share that opinion.

#38 Posted by Enigma777 (6078 posts) -

Nope

#39 Posted by RecSpec (3852 posts) -
Pretty much everyone who played through the whole thing played through it in parts, which is probably a big reason why it turned out so well. 
Not saying it should be penalized for it, but The Walking Dead really benefited from the episodic format. It was always in progress up until the very end. 
Imagine if the game was completely done from the start, it probably wouldn't be anywhere near as good. They were constantly adapting as the game went on, and that's why it was so great. 

Stuff like the big moment in Chapter 3 and the end villain are made stronger because they were able to look at how people reacted and work with that in mind. 

Again, not saying The Walking Dead doesn't deserve GOTY consideration because of it, I just find it interesting. Personally, it's probably a tossup between this game and Virtue's Last Reward. (VLR would be a lock if not for that damn ending)
#40 Posted by FCDRandy (238 posts) -

As far as "games" go, this is not GOTY. As far as "things I played on game equipment," absolutely. Also, fuck this game.

#41 Posted by cabbagewater (11 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

I literally just started XCom and ran into a bug that wouldn't let me select a starting continent, so yeah. That's after they've had time to patch it...

But whatever. I think all of my favorite games this year have also had game-breaking bugs in them.

The game limits your choice of starting continents if you're playing on "easy". You knew this, right??

#42 Posted by ThePantheon (743 posts) -

End scene of Ep 5, second time I've ever cried from a video game. First was MGS4 which surprised even me. But wow, what an emotionally resonsant and impactful story.

#43 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

It's definitely my number 2. I still liked Asura's Wrath more, though.

#44 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Mark of the Ninja would disagree. :P

#45 Edited by VisariLoyalist (2995 posts) -

here here! A game with powerful choices even if there's a certain amount you can't change. I think upon a second play through some of the contrivances will start to show but that first run through (which was 13 hours or so for me trying to go through every dialogue option) is a spectacular experience. Interactive entertainment at its best!

#46 Posted by BeachThunder (12091 posts) -

I enjoyed it a lot, but it had it's fair share of issues.

#47 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1671 posts) -

I didnt have any technical issues and the storytelling was great ... heck, I had (manly) tears in my eyes at the end of Ep5 ... but tbh, calling Walking Dead a "game" is almost a stretch. If the game gets recognized for its strong points (characters, story) that would be awesome, but making it GotY would be too much imho.

#48 Posted by probablytuna (3730 posts) -

I agree. It definitely deserves all the acclaim.

#49 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

@cabbagewater said:

@AndrewB said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

The game limits your choice of starting continents if you're playing on "easy". You knew this, right??

Playing on normal for now. PC version. The bug was that I was able to move down the list and after I selected one of the continents in red (just to see what would happen), I could no longer move back up the list. I could still hit A on the gamepad and get the error buzz, just couldn't move to any other. Since you can't switch back to keyboard/mouse controls on the fly, the only option I had was to Alt-F4 to quit the game. Luckily it's obviously way early in the game and it autosaved anyway.

#50 Posted by benspyda (2038 posts) -

I had a save issue so that a couple of my last decisions had to be randomized, but not the whole last episode which is really weird, but I ran with it and still loved the last episode. First game to ever make me tear up a little at the end. Game of the year for sure.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.