Well this sucks

#1 Edited by leinad44 (513 posts) -

Just bought episode 5 on the 360. Clicked on play, game loads and started with episode 1! It has overwritten my game without asking and has dumped me right back at the start. Has this happened to anyone else? I really don't want to play through this game again neither do I want to play with random choices made. Is there anyway of getting round this? Or should I just give up on seeing the end of this game?

#2 Edited by _Chad (962 posts) -

It happened to me with episode three, it didn't load my saves. After restarting the game a couple of time it finally loaded them and I was able to play. Hopefully that's the case for you. I just finished episode 5 and you want to go in with the choices you've made.

#3 Posted by Rafaelfc (1347 posts) -

this happened to me too, just great...

#4 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

I'm on the PC version, and the game has deleted my progress at least six times no matter how far I've gone through the game and thrown me back to the end of episode 1. Unless I play through every episode in one sitting, it won't save.

Really bumming me out and making me not want to bother seeing the ending anymore.

#5 Posted by JacDG (2124 posts) -

Yep, just happened to me as well, can't play fullscreen either, it just crashes when I try. Fuck this shit,

#6 Posted by Rafaelfc (1347 posts) -

Well, the game didn't actually lose my progress, so I could chapter select and play episode 5 with all my decisions intact.

The odd thing is that all the achievements for episode 4 got locked up again... weird, never seen this before.

#7 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

So I got my save working again after fucking around, and it's the dumbest solution. So I tried loading up a later episode with random choices to see if it would work, and instead of loading the episode, it loaded up where my last save was in my original file. Exiting to the main menu and going back into play shows my original, restored save file.

It's really stupid!

#8 Posted by JacDG (2124 posts) -

@Morbid_Coffee said:

So I got my save working again after fucking around, and it's the dumbest solution. So I tried loading up a later episode with random choices to see if it would work, and instead of loading the episode, it loaded up where my last save was in my original file. Exiting to the main menu and going back into play shows my original, restored save file.

It's really stupid!

Did you choose the New Game option first, or just a random episode?

#9 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

@JacDG said:

@Morbid_Coffee said:

It's really stupid!

Play -> New Game -> Random Episode. In this case, episode 2. Instead of starting me off in the beginning, it started me halfway through where I left off last night with all my choices from my original save file. Exiting to the main menu and going back into play showed my original file reverted back to where I left off last night, and the new game file I selected as still empty.

#10 Posted by JacDG (2124 posts) -

@Morbid_Coffee said:

@JacDG said:

@Morbid_Coffee said:

It's really stupid!

Play -> New Game -> Random Episode. In this case, episode 2. Instead of starting me off in the beginning, it started me halfway through where I left off last night with all my choices from my original save file. Exiting to the main menu and going back into play showed my original file reverted back to where I left off last night, and the new game file I selected as still empty.

Didn't work for me sadly, I know I probably shouldn't be mad and just be patient but god damn man, I'm reeeeeeeaaaaaally pissed right about now, thanks a lot Telltale...

#11 Posted by Karkarov (3102 posts) -

@leinad44 said:

Just bought episode 5 on the 360. Clicked on play, game loads and started with episode 1! It has overwritten my game without asking and has dumped me right back at the start. Has this happened to anyone else? I really don't want to play through this game again neither do I want to play with random choices made. Is there anyway of getting round this? Or should I just give up on seeing the end of this game?

I thought this was the GOTY :P? If it is half as good as most giantbomb posters seem to suggest playing it through again should really not be a big deal for you.

#12 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

That sucks. Happened to me when I had a episode 1 save and bought 3 and 4 over the weekend. Thankfully next time I played my save was back. Hopefully you are as lucky as playing 1-4 over agian would be a buzzkill.

#13 Posted by JacDG (2124 posts) -

@Karkarov said:

@leinad44 said:

I thought this was the GOTY :P? If it is half as good as most giantbomb posters seem to suggest playing it through again should really not be a big deal for you.

It's so great because the tough choices, the nerve-wrecking situations you are put in, the tension and some of the mad twists/surprises, playing through it again practically eliminates all that, as you know just what will happen around every corner. Take the story stuff away, and you have a pretty basic point and click game, I don't want to play through EXACTLY the same stuff again, 10 hours +, to get to where I am now, just waiting for the choices to pop up. Hopefully the devs will fix it soon..

#14 Posted by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

@Rafaelfc said:

Well, the game didn't actually lose my progress, so I could chapter select and play episode 5 with all my decisions intact.

The odd thing is that all the achievements for episode 4 got locked up again... weird, never seen this before.

I'm going to assume you played ep.4 on the day of release. There was some issue with those achievements not going into the xbl system, so even though you had them locally, they weren't recognised by the service. Eventually they fixed that, but it still didn't ackowledge ones that were already earned. I ended up recovering my profile and playing through again

#15 Posted by Rafaelfc (1347 posts) -

@MildMolasses said:

@Rafaelfc said:

I'm going to assume you played ep.4 on the day of release. There was some issue with those achievements not going into the xbl system, so even though you had them locally, they weren't recognised by the service. Eventually they fixed that, but it still didn't ackowledge ones that were already earned. I ended up recovering my profile and playing through again

Huh, weird. Ok, i'll make a quick n' dirty run through ep.4 and get those again... lol

#16 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

My ps3 hard drive fucked up so I lost my saves! Have to start again :(

#17 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

So that fix I stumbled on earlier? It was a waste of time. I got through episodes 2-4 today only to see episode 5, despite having it downloaded and it appearing as installed in the episode status menu, have "coming soon" in place of play when I try to continue from my save file.

Fuck you game, I'm done.

#18 Posted by JacobG (39 posts) -

So, this happened to me when I started Episode 4. I loaded up the game, pressed on Episode 4 and it started me back at Episode 1 and saved over my game. I went back and loaded Episode 4 on that save file just to see what would happen and it turned out that somehow my decisions were still there so I was able to play through the episode without starting the whole game over. I would try that before you give up and see if it works.

#19 Posted by papercut (3494 posts) -

@JacobG said:

So, this happened to me when I started Episode 4. I loaded up the game, pressed on Episode 4 and it started me back at Episode 1 and saved over my game. I went back and loaded Episode 4 on that save file just to see what would happen and it turned out that somehow my decisions were still there so I was able to play through the episode without starting the whole game over. I would try that before you give up and see if it works.

I hade this same problem with 4 and 5 but with 5 I had to start the episode twice.

I would jut keep trying to start the episode until you get it to start and see if your saves carry over.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.