When You Were Given This Dialogue Option What Did You Pick?

• 82 results
#51 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

"Don't be afraid" is the correct option. Saying "I'll miss you" will only make her feel more sad/scared. She needs to be strong, and I did everything I could to make it easier on her.

#52 Posted by Subbeh (90 posts) -

@SuperJoe said:

I chose "Don't be afraid" for this option, after which she holds your hand, as well as all the other answers that gave Clementine advice. I chose not to waste a bullet on me because "killing changes you", told her to "always get the gun first", "stay away from cities", and "don't trust anyone". I was pretty much preparing her for the worst.

I chose "Don't be afraid" too. I just didn't want to make her killing Lee any harder and I felt that after everything they'd been through she knows that Lee would miss her.

#53 Posted by cbarnes86 (556 posts) -

I didn't "I'll Miss You" because if I did, I would have lost it even more than I already did.

#54 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

I choose "Don't be afraid"

#55 Posted by Rasmoss (455 posts) -

I picked "I'll miss you" because I thought she needed to know that Lee had genuinely cared for her.

#56 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

I told her to not be afraid; I would rather have her be strong than point out the obvious when she's about to be alone. She clearly knew that Lee cared deeply about her, and he didn't need some pithy line to cement that any further.

#57 Posted by smcn (926 posts) -

@MysteriousFawx said:

I wanted to leave her with a strong message to make her more likely to survive, I didn't want her to dwell on Lees sacrifice for the rest of her travels. I picked 'don't be afraid' and had her shoot me in the head....my little girl, all grown up for the big world.

I like your avatar.

#58 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Don't be afraid is the incorrect option!

Fear is the framework of survival.

#59 Posted by MysteriousFawx (382 posts) -

@smcn: I like yours too, feels somehow, familiar and homely.

#60 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@JasonR86 said:

@rebgav said:

@JasonR86 said:

So I can't imagine that anyone didn't pick "I'll miss you." unless they are a monster or were intentionally playing a weird/bad character because come on. Who wouldn't say that to a nine year old girl who's about to be left alone?

That seems like a pretty selfish thing to do, why waste the last moment you have to give advice? Why play on the empathy of someone who is moments from having to shoot you in the head? Why say "I'll miss you" when you're about to die and the other party is going to continue on? Crazy talk!

Because she was nine and we had a good relationship! Gah!

She should not be able to sneak through a town full of zombies while heaving and whining and blowing snot-bubbles. I always viewed Lee's job as being preparing that girl to survive on her own, so I had no compulsion to pick the sentimental option.

This, this, this. I'm not sure how anyone could go into the game expecting Lee to survive it, so from moment one I was like, "Okay, let's focus on preparing Clem for survival cause if anyone in a zombie game is gonna survive, it's gonna be her."

Telling her "I'll miss you" when she needs to get the fuck outta Dodge is not only insane, but incredibly selfish. It's something you'd say to make yourself feel better in your final moments; not to make -her- feel better. Of course you'll miss her! She knows that! Don't be stupid and force her to confront that point when she should be focusing on survival. There'll be time to grieve when she's not smack in the middle of a city infested with zombies.

@Kerned said:

@Sparklykiss: The main reason I had her shoot me is because I was afraid something would happen (Lee would get loose, Clem would come near him, etc.) and she would get hurt. The idea of Clem getting hurt was so much worse than anything else.

Also, this. At first I was like "Killing me would cost her a bullet she could use... but on the other hand, not doing it could come back to haunt her in a much worse way".

#61 Posted by Spoonman671 (4604 posts) -

Yeah, because it's a really decent thing to do to remind somebody how much you care about them before you ask them to shoot you in the head.

#62 Posted by Bones8677 (3230 posts) -

I picked "Don't be Afraid." I could have chosen the other options, but she needed to be strong.

I guess it's because it reminded me of that scene in Batman Begins when Bruce's father says those same words right before he died.

#63 Posted by Baconbot (115 posts) -

I picked "I'll miss you" because I was a teary mess...

#64 Posted by probablytuna (3621 posts) -

I said "Don't be afraid". When I saw that, I'm reminded of the Crime Alley scene in Batman Begins where Thomas Wayne's last words were the same thing.

#65 Posted by Bob_Loblaw (110 posts) -

I picked i'll miss you.

Let's be honest, how your Clem is equipped to deal with what's ahead is decided over the many actions over the course of the story and not this one dialogue choice. I wanted to show her how just surviving isn't worth much if you lose your humanity and compassion for other people.

Also I just felt it was probably the most honest representation of how Lee was feeling and it being his final moments he allowed himself to drop the mask of protective guardian and just tell this 9 year old girl that had become his life that he would miss her and it was breaking his goddamn heart. And if that's selfish then so be it.

My favourite line was actually me telling her to 'keep that hair short' which weirdly almost made me more emotional.

#66 Posted by Choffy (443 posts) -

I was just bummed I didn't get to say "I love you" instead of "I'll miss you." Cheesy? Sure. But it would've completed the relationship (since I don't think one ever told the other they loved them).

#67 Posted by kishinfoulux (2286 posts) -

"Don't forget to keep your hair short".

Something about that just seemed right to me and it hit me hard. I thought of it in the same way when Princess Leia says "I love you" to Han Solo and he just says "I know" in return instead of "I love you too". Saying "I'll miss you" just seemed to lack a bit of punch. Sounds stupid, but that's how I felt at the time.

#68 Posted by Milkman (16679 posts) -

"Don't be afraid."

Clem knew that Lee would miss her. There's no need to make the situation harder by saying it.

#69 Posted by TheHT (11155 posts) -

"Don't be afraid" because I was looking out for Clem all the way to the end. Fuck it, I'm about to die, why make this shit more difficult for her by getting all emotional myself. Of course I'd miss her, but she's gonna make it, and I was gonna help her with every last breath. Just like I had her save the bullet, in case she needed that one more shot down the road.

Being a scared mess isn't key to survival, caution is.

As for the other "you'll be OK" one, that like "I'll miss you" were too Lee focused for me to choose. I'm fucking dead, I don't need to reassure myself that everything'll be fine, or to tell her that I'll miss her (my Lee often said things to the effect of "everything will be OK", and over the course of the season it sort of became me reassuring myself rather than the other characters (god I love this game)).

And as far as catharsis goes, I already got it from my moment with the zombie horde and getting Clem out of that madman's hands.

@Bob_Loblaw said:

My favourite line was actually me telling her to 'keep that hair short' which weirdly almost made me more emotional.

Oh god, that one put a fucking watermelon in my throat. Sad but funny but sad. Ugh.

#70 Posted by Driadon (2997 posts) -

As already discussed, I went with the "Don't Be Afraid" option. She needed those words at that very moment. She was about to go back out into the world completely alone, having watched Lee die (I got her to handcuff Lee, which let her go on without shooting Lee. - sidenote: I just put "me" instead of Lee at first. Man, this fucking game...). While having her keep as much of her innocence as possible is definitively a precious thing to try to keep, it just isn't viable in this world, and she seemed to really appreciate how, whenever I had the chance, Lee was straight up with her in the softest way possible.

That whole climax, was, just, GHA! So well done.

#71 Posted by Funzzo (835 posts) -

I chose to tell Clem "I'll miss you" because I do. This game made me feel for characters that I know are not real in a video game. That's rare for me. I don't worry tho Clem will be alright. I taught her well.

#72 Posted by Stensby1 (18 posts) -

I picked "I'll miss you". Was really just a spur of the moment thing when I realized all was fucked and that I had cut my arm off for nothing.

#73 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1641 posts) -

Even though it was true, "I'll miss you" seemed like the worst thing to say to the poor girl as she was getting ready to kill me. You wanna call me a monster? I call you selfish.

#74 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5819 posts) -

I chose to say "I miss you" because, at the moment, that's exactly what I was thinking.

In retrospect it probably wasn't the best thing to say, but I don't regret it.

#75 Edited by Antihippy (232 posts) -

I said "you'll be strong" because fuck man, that little girl is going out to a zombie infested city and the last thing I want is to create a moment of weakness in her. I want her to survive.

#76 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

I thought this would be about the "OH SHIT!", "OH FUCK!", or "RUN!" dialogue options in Ep.4.

I picked "I'll miss you."

#77 Posted by weavminas (83 posts) -

For me, Clementine had aleady crossed the threshold of needing help and support. When she said she didn't want Lee to turn, she was in control of her fear, as much as anyone. She is strong enough to know what she wants and what she has to do. At that moment, the emotional closure is the only thing left unsaid.

#78 Posted by Psychohead (142 posts) -

"Don't be afraid." It built nicely off of all the other little moments and and bits of dialog where Lee was trying to help a scared little kid adjust to The End of the Fucking World. So I guess I picked that one because it was "in character" for my Lee. Fear made Ben stupid, it made Lilly stupid, it made Kenny stupid, it killed Irene and Katja. "Keep yer shit together" seems like sound advice.

Works for Michonne, right?

#79 Posted by Slag (4261 posts) -

I can't remember what I picked, I think "you'll be strong" since I wanted to make sure stayed in control of herself and be uplifting if I could. Kids generally react better to things like that, Clem seemed like a kid who would try to be a good girl and would do what she think you want her to.

definitely did not pick "I'll miss you."

Saying something like that to her could just make the kid crack when she needs to be tougher than anyone her age ever should have to be. Her hopes about her parents had just been crushed brutally by seeing them on the street. Her friend on the walkie talkie turned out to be a pyscho who tricked her. Lee was litterally all she had left in the world. And she knows that Lee cares, crap Lee came back with one freakin arm to save her from her kidnapper.

I also made sure she didn't shoot Lee. Handcuffed him to radiator and whatnot. That would be a hell of weight for her to carry and emotional baggage that could kill her later. SHe needs to focus all the metal energy she has on staying alive. She can't afford anymore guilt than she probably already has. I also figured she was still smeared with zombie guts so zombified Lee was likely not be as bad a threat as he otherwise could be.

#80 Posted by Tonyyj (141 posts) -

I'm glad you made this topic. When I had finished the game, the first thought in my mind was that I regret not telling Clementine I'll miss her. When that prompt came up, I used all of the allotted time. I ended up picking "Don't be afraid" because it seemed like it's what she needed in that situation to pick herself up and continue moving without Lee. Says something amazing about the game that I cared so much about such a tiny detail though.

#81 Posted by mlarrabee (2927 posts) -

I told her to not be afraid.

I figure, the second she unlocks that door and steps through she needs to be able to focus all she has, not thinking about how much we miss each other now that I'm gone.

#82 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1958 posts) -

I told her that she'll be okay. Not meaning that everything will be sunshine and lollipops afterwards, but just to remind her that she'll get through this moment when all seems lost. That, to me, was the most comforting words I could say to her at that moment. "I'll miss you" was true of my own beliefs but it would just make the memory of Lee that much more painful for her. I just wanted to soften the blow as much as possible cause, dammit, I would do anything to protect that child from pain, physical or emotional.

Being handcuffed to the radiator and not being able to help Clem when that zombie came after her was one of the most distressing moments I'd experienced in the series.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.