Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead

Game » consists of 41 releases. Released Nov 21, 2012

Presenting an original story in the same franchise as the comic book series of the same name, The Walking Dead is a five-part adventure game from Telltale that follows the story of a convicted murderer, his guardianship over a young girl, and his co-operation with a roaming group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

Why I am unreasonably angry at the response to the walking dead

• 132 results
    ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#101  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Red said:

@Karkarov: By that logic, everyone would love a Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter game.

But they don't have a " 'culture' BS " behind it!

Kidding. It was a ridiculous post. I hated the show, read the first paperback of WD and it was not bad but didn't read any further, and I don't like zombies very much. But I loved this game.

A lot of strangely bitter people. No surprise I guess, just sad and confusing.

@Animasta said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Animasta said:

@SethPhotopoulos: I'm aware they won't, but as long as one person plays nier in response to my blog post than it has all been justified

If that's the point of all of this then why not just say "If you like TWD try these games out." Instead of "These games deserve way more praise than this game."

yeah, but who would have paid attention to that blog post?

So lame. Go post a thread on the Nier board instead of being a troll.

Digiwth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Digiwth

At least you recognize that your ire is unreasonable.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jrinswand said:

Yeah, the problem with your argument is that Nier is fucking awful whereas The Walking Dead isn't.

this will only end well

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#104  Edited By Milkman
    @Karkarov said:

The walking dead video "game" is popular because it is the walking dead which has some massive "culture" BS behind it. No it doesn't do anything I haven't seen before. No it doesn't do anything "better" than it's ever been done before. But that doesn't matter cause it's "the walking dead" and therefore good just because.

Sorry if I offended anyone with this post. (not really actually)

Never read the comics, only seen the first season of the TV show and thought it was pretty boring, The Walking Dead is my GOTY. 

Nope.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#105  Edited By Animasta

@ArtisanBreads: it was a joke, you can't just accuse anyone who doesn't share your opinion as trolling

you are mad wrong, soz bro.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Animasta said:

@ArtisanBreads: it was a joke, you can't just accuse anyone who doesn't share your opinion as trolling

You've made a WD hate thread basically because you think Nier wasn't appreciated.

Go make a Nier thread.

What you did is a trolling move.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Animasta

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Animasta said:

You've made a WD hate thread basically because you think Nier wasn't appreciated.

Go make a Nier thread.

hate thread? I said the game has problems, hardly a hate thread. I hate the response it gotten, but that doesnt mean I hate the game; far from it in fact! I even said in the blog post I like the game!

but hey, who needs reading right?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#108  Edited By musubi

@ArtisanBreads: Again, lazy opinion or not that's what I think.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Animasta said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Animasta said:

Go make a Nier thread.

hate thread? I said the game has problems, hardly a hate thread. I hate the response it gotten, but that doesnt mean I hate the game; far from it in fact! I even said in the blog post I like the game!

Not saying you hate the game but are bitter it is being appreciated. Again, who cares if it is? What will this accomplish? It has nothing to do with Nier.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Animasta

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Animasta said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Animasta said:

Go make a Nier thread.

Not saying you hate the game but are bitter it is being appreciated. Again, who cares if it is? What will this accomplish? It has nothing to do with Nier.

what will anything accomplish? jeez I just wanted to discuss the response the game and why I disliked it, and thus I compared it to Nier which has similar story beats and a decidedly different reception. Not everything has to have a deeper meaning.

so no, it's not a troll.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By envane

big bo makes you cry manly tears

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Karkarov

@cexantus: Fair enough. I enjoyed the game though not for the reasons most people did. If I cried it was only from how much I laughed playing it.

@SethPhotopoulos said:

People like you are what's wrong with video games.

Yeap I am far worse than you for sure. I am not even able to come up with a witty slur or half assed insult in response to a post made by someone expressing an opinion different from mine. Pathetic of me.

@Red said:

@Karkarov: By that logic, everyone would love a Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter game.

I am pretty sure there is a reason they keep making Lord of the Ring's video games and they sure kept putting out Lego Harry Potter. I am confident that reason isn't because people didn't buy enough to make it profitable.

@ArtisanBreads: You liked "The Walking Dead", that's great. I thought it was "okay" and over rated as holy crap. If that makes me "bitter and angry" then sure sign me up. I have to wonder what you being unable to handle someone feeling that way makes you though? After all I don't see the OP insulting you, but you sure have no issue insulting them. So who is the "bitter and angry" person again?

@Milkman: Well I have to wonder what other games you got to play this year but whatever floats your boat. Glad you liked the game, as I said I thought it was "okay". Which from me is actually kind of a compliment.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#113  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Karkarov said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

People like you are what's wrong with video games.

Yeap I am far worse than you for sure. I am not even able to come up with a witty slur or half assed insult in response to a post made by someone expressing an opinion different from mine. Pathetic of me.

It's not the fact that you had a different opinion. It's the fact that you insult other people by basically calling them sheep for having opinions different from your own.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#114  Edited By Red

@Karkarov: When was the last time a Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings game was seriously thought of for Game of the Year?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Karkarov said:

@ArtisanBreads: You liked "The Walking Dead", that's great. I thought it was "okay" and over rated as holy crap. If that makes me "bitter and angry" then sure sign me up. I have to wonder what you being unable to handle someone feeling that way makes you though? After all I don't see the OP insulting you, but you sure have no issue insulting them. So who is the "bitter and angry" person again?

You. I'm just calling out BS is all.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#116  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Metro 2033 was not depressing, just atmospheric.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Animasta

@SomeDeliCook said:

what

all of humanity lived in shitty ass subway tunnels, how is that not depressing

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#118  Edited By ThePickle

@Hailinel said:

I can't even understand what it is you're trying to argue here.

I can't even understand what he's saying with all these parentheses.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#119  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@Animasta said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

what

all of humanity lived in shitty ass subway tunnels, how is that not depressing

And all of humanity are zombies in Walking Dead, but that wasn't why that game was depressing either

Seeing something like dead guys in broken gas masks and frost bitten in Metro was depressing, but the overall mood of that game wasn't depressing to me. It wasn't like that in Stalker or Fallout either, games with similar backstories.

Something like Mafia to me was more depressing because everyone had a shitty ending no matter what they could've done differently.

*edit* Also, everyone was stuffed into the metro's like sardines, but they atleast seemed to be well off and safe (for the most part). In Walking Dead, everyone is always getting fucked up.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Animasta

@SomeDeliCook: well stalker was just the area around chernobyl was fucked up, and the latter fallout game had built up a decent amount of infrastructure so it wasn't that bad.

but all of the stations in metro, the ones where people lived, were mad depressing

MegaMetaTurtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#121  Edited By MegaMetaTurtle

It's annoying that you can't criticise the game without being told 'you don't get it', or because you wanted the choices to affect the story (as it tells you they will in text at the start of each chapter) that you wanted some kind of 'power fantasy'.

First time it happened I felt it was a nice change, but not once having an impact, what's the point? It takes all the drama and 'brutality' out of the so called 'brutal' decisions.

The story and writing was also pretty cliché. Did anyone not automatically think 'these people are cannibals' as soon as you arrived at the farm in episode 2? And more than once I guessed the dialogue, word for word, that I'd get in response to options I picked. It also took plot points from the comics, which seemed kind of lazy.

I loved this game, but it's highly overrated. It has flaws.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Karkarov

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Karkarov said:

You. I'm just calling out BS is all.

Anyone ever told you how laughable you are? I really just spent longer laughing at you than I did when Lee fell on his ass trying to walk across the kitchen. Man I laughed a long time when that happened too.

@Red said:

@Karkarov: When was the last time a Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings game was seriously thought of for Game of the Year?

Couldn't tell you. But then I am also mystified as to why anyone thinks "The Walking Dead" is worthy of it. I certainly don't.

@MegaMetaTurtle: Oh dude, you must just be bitter and angry because you don't get the game. In other news nice post, I concur and saw the "plot twist" of episode 2 coming from basically 5 minutes after meeting them, I don't even think I had to get to the farm first.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#123  Edited By FancySoapsMan

@Karkarov said:

The walking dead video "game" is popular because it is the walking dead which has some massive "culture" BS behind it. No it doesn't do anything I haven't seen before. No it doesn't do anything "better" than it's ever been done before. But that doesn't matter cause it's "the walking dead" and therefore good just because.

Sorry if I offended anyone with this post. (not really actually)

what?

I honestly knew next to nothing about the franchise before playing the game, and I still think it's fantastic.

try again fool.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By cthomer5000

You might want to try moving to Japan, based on that game list.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#125  Edited By yoshimitz707

Cinders did choice well? It all felt pretty binary to me.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Animasta

@yoshimitz707 said:

Cinders did choice well? It all felt pretty binary to me.

I disagree, it did the tone thing that TWD does (whether you become an ironhanded host, a benevolent host, whatever) as well as having so many different endings.

@cthomer5000: well considering my top two games (crusader kings 2 and hotline miami) are both of western (swedish) origin, as well as me mentioning alpha protocol... that was a terrible comment to a terrible blog.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By TheHumanDove

You're a horrible human being.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Animasta

@TheHumanDove said:

TELL ME SOMETHING I DIDN'T ALREADY KNOW

also you can't just say that and not give a reason

also I think that sort of comment will get you a refraction with the moderators, so :)

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By TheHumanDove

@Animasta said:

@TheHumanDove said:

TELL ME SOMETHING I DIDN'T ALREADY KNOW

also you can't just say that and not give a reason

also I think that sort of comment will get you a refraction with the moderators, so :)

so :)? Not sure what that part means. Is that the smile of internal rage or the smile of sweet vengeance upon sicking the internet popo upon me? In either case, Nier sucks. Deal with it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Animasta

@TheHumanDove: there are plenty of people who think it's fantastic, I'll have you know (just not that much because no one bought it)

also the smile was just a heads up, nothing predatory about it.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#131  Edited By tourgen

Alright alright I'll play Crusader Kings. You twisted my arm.

Not touching Nier though. It looks packed with > 50% monotony.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#132  Edited By Barrock

@tourgen said:

It really isn't. Definitely worth playing.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Animasta

@tourgen said:

this is also a respectable outcome!

(I think there's a demo, and there should be a bug that will make it go forever)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.