Why Telltale's Knocking on Death's Door

• 81 results
#51 Posted by sethshandor (81 posts) -

I guess PSN was a much better system for them than LIVE? Of course, I couldn't get my Back To The Future eps on time because of the PSN hack! Can't wait for more Walking Dead, but I was disappointed we didn't hear of anything else in the pipeline from Telltale at E3.

#52 Posted by Brodehouse (9521 posts) -

I know exactly what two characters he's talking about, and maybe if you wanted people to choose the other character, they should've made that character interesting in any remote way. One has an interesting backstory, important knowledge about you, and appeared important to the overall plot. The other one looked like zombie food as soon as they were on screen.

#53 Posted by Marshermallow (211 posts) -

Cannot wait for episode 2 thought it was supposed to be out last month though...episode 1 was sweet

#54 Posted by NeoAthanasius (73 posts) -

I was surprised that only 25% of the players chose to save a certain unnamed character. It seemed the obvious choice to me. But that is the fun of these type of games, everyone views situations differently.

#55 Posted by ddensel (371 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

The title made me think Telltale was going under. Dick move. I don't need a scare like that.

Yeah, me too.

Oh, and Telltale, More Sam & Max and Monkey Island plz.

#56 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1664 posts) -
Super excited to play episode 2! I'm glad Telltale found such success with this. I really like the idea of them looking at people's decisions, and having that help guide future episodes, and even adding callbacks where they think a lot of people will see them. I guess that's a big advantage of Telltale's episodic structure and the way they produce content; they can get feedback as they go along.

As others have said, the rewind function is still a mystery to me. Didn't realize that was a thing.

@Brodehouse said:

I know exactly what two characters he's talking about, and maybe if you wanted people to choose the other character, they should've made that character interesting in any remote way. One has an interesting backstory, important knowledge about you, and appeared important to the overall plot. The other one looked like zombie food as soon as they were on screen.

Yeah, I'm not surprised that split ended up that way, for the reasons you said. However, I actually let the more popular character die because of your second point about them knowing important info about you. Take that secret to the grave!
#57 Posted by ajamafalous (11813 posts) -

Fuck your title Klepek. I now refuse to read the article.

#58 Posted by benefitevil (49 posts) -

I'm glad to see this trend of giving us (the players) consequences for our actions. I'm a huge Monkey Island fan but it was always weird to me that you couldn't die. Being a fan of sierra games where you could it was sometimes a difficult transition. Over all having our choices matter makes for better players and imho people. Maybe its the old school gamer in me, but not having a fear of dying, in games, makes them boring.

#59 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

This is like..A Kotaku level headline and that's not a compliment!

#60 Posted by papercut (3434 posts) -

That headline was terrifying for a second.

#61 Posted by Undeadpool (4902 posts) -

It wasn't just death in the old Sierra games, it was the fact that you could COMPLETELY screw yourself over and not even realize it until hours and hours later (and you'd be given NO indication of what you were missing or how you'd screwed up, so you basically had to start over).

So I think Telltale has struck a great balance between the Sierra and Lucasarts system and I am SO utterly stoked for Ep 2 of Walking Dead.

#62 Posted by mewarmo990 (828 posts) -

Save the sensationalist headlines for Kotaku!

Really interesting to read about how Telltale approaches player agency. More and more games have some degree of choice/consequence now but a lot of the situations feel very one-sided, like why wouldn't you pick that and the only people that go with the uncommon choice seem to be mostly out of curiosity or replaying the game to see everything.

To have choices where you don't know what will happen, where your judgment says multiple paths are viable in that given situation... that makes those moments really valuable and I'm glad The Walking Dead game pulled it off so well.

#63 Posted by Azteris (810 posts) -

I don't normally comment on stories, but I wanted to chime and voice my disapproval for the over-the-top, misleading title. Clicking on an article because you expect the story to be about one thing and then finding something completely different didn't shout "clever" to me, only "I should read less news on Giant Bomb".

#64 Posted by Yalbit (66 posts) -

"Walking Dead includes a "rewind" function on player decisions but Telltale said no one uses it."

Unless my brain is being stupid I don't even remember there being a rewind option. I liked the idea of being forced to pick something and then living with it. Being able to rewind seems like it removes a lot of that turmoil.

#65 Posted by gunstarhero (67 posts) -

i enjoyed jurassic park ,i played it as a choose your own adventure and when you die you just go back to where your bookmark was.the story was ok ,the only thing is i found it too short would have liked it to be a bit longer maybe an hour or two.

#66 Posted by evanbower (1210 posts) -

@triviaman09 said:

Do they teach you how to come up with pithy headlines in Journalism class?

@artgarcrunkle said:

@triviaman09: You are asking Patrick "Proofreading" Klepek about journalism.

You guys are both really, really bad at leaving snarky comments.

#67 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -

The development process described here sounds completely soulless. And did the first episode really go on to sell one million copies? I remember they said they had sold one million episodes.

#68 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5135 posts) -

Patrick don't ever make titles like this ever again!!

#69 Posted by Dredlockz (341 posts) -

I am confuse by the news title.

#70 Edited by LegendaryChopChop (1169 posts) -

I thought Telltale was going under by the name of the news report. Good to see that's not the case.

Also, I didn't know about the rewind function either.

Additionally, I think Telltale is putting too much confidence in their concept of "hard decisions", because most of the time they felt too video gamey for me to really get attached to. I could just tell some of the stuff they were trying, no real moral implications. I'll obviously check out each episode, but this game is not some sort of changing affair, adventure games are still dead because of Telltale over-exploiting it.

I definitely enjoyed TWD more than any previous Telltale title (aside from Sam & Max season 1 probably), but that's more or less because I love the series. I want to see this series until the end, but I definitely don't think this is some sort of huge gaming pinnacle.

#71 Posted by Grillbar (1792 posts) -

@altairre said:

What a clever headline. For a moment there I thought Telltale is in bad shape.

yep i almost clicked it just to see what he was talking about untill i saw that it was under the walking dead topic. then i had to click and read it

#72 Posted by SupberUber (262 posts) -

The title doesn't make sense, to me. Works for drawing readers, that's for sure, but not much else.

#73 Edited by Tennmuerti (7957 posts) -

Walking Dead includes a "rewind" function on player decisions but Telltale said no one uses it.

What? There was a rewind function? I never even knew such a thing existed in the Walking Dead.

I might be just guessing but could this have more to do with the fact that such an option was never well surfaced to the players. Hence no one uses it.

#74 Posted by Rexicon (96 posts) -

What the fuck -- what rewind?

#75 Posted by dropabombonit (1484 posts) -

Great interview. The fact that Episode 2 is still not out justified my decision to wait until all episodes are released before buying this

#76 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3719 posts) -

The amount of people upset or confused by Patrick's playful, clever headline is astounding to me. He wasn't trying to shock and pull in readers, he was just being creative with his headline. I don't think he expected people to think that Telltale was going under. Look at the picture and sub-header. I knew before going in what the article was going to be about. Y'all just dumb.

#77 Posted by Dezztroy (771 posts) -
@Tennmuerti said:

Walking Dead includes a "rewind" function on player decisions but Telltale said no one uses it.

What? There was a rewind function? I never even knew such a thing existed in the Walking Dead.

I might be just guessing but could this have more to do with the fact that such an option was never well surfaced to the players. Hence no one uses it.

Pretty much. Nowhere did I see anything about a rewind function.
#78 Posted by MisterFaulkner (44 posts) -

@Chumm said:

Crowd-sourced copy editing is my favorite thing about Klepek's work, though it was an interesting read as well!

They don't pay him enough to be writer and copy editor

#79 Posted by patrickklepek (3398 posts) -

If I haven't done sensationalist headlines in the past, why start now? I didn't mean to mislead anyone. There's a subhead for a reason. I apologize if anyone felt mislead.

Staff
#80 Posted by StingingVelvet (569 posts) -

Where is him speaking about Jurassic Park's failure? Did I miss it?

Anyway I am not a Walking Dead fan and am disappointed by most Telltale games, so I will wait for a Steam sale.

#81 Posted by thehideousshrew (206 posts) -

@Irvandus said:

@Maystack said:

Oh man Patrick, you scared the shit out of me with that title. I didn't want another great developer to be in trouble.

Same here, I expected Telltale to be going under and that's why the episode was delayed.

Indeed. Brown trousers time it was.

#82 Posted by Xaviersx (157 posts) -

I wasn't confused by the title, I knew they were working on the Walking Dead titles, . . . it just was too much on the nose.

#83 Posted by StriderNo9 (1077 posts) -

I bought this game but still haven't played it. I should get to it this weekend. How long is it?

#85 Posted by fisk0 (3773 posts) -

I would've had the headline "NEWSFLASH: 20 YEARS LATER, LUCASARTS VETERANS SAY SIERRA WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.