Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead

Game » consists of 41 releases. Released Nov 21, 2012

Presenting an original story in the same franchise as the comic book series of the same name, The Walking Dead is a five-part adventure game from Telltale that follows the story of a convicted murderer, his guardianship over a young girl, and his co-operation with a roaming group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

Will this influence other "Zombie" games?

Starks94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Starks94

I just finished this and I finally understand why this game has gotten so much acclaim. I grew up on Resident Evil and have always enjoyed a good Zombie game but I don't think I could go back to enjoying another zombie game for its story after playing Walking Dead. I actually enjoyed Dead Island a lot but even the story there is not even in the same stratosphere as Walking Dead. So what do you guys think? Are developers and writers working going back to the drawing board? Maybe Left for Dead doesn't count, but I can't imagine producing a major Zombie theme game with out learning a lot from the way the story unfolded here

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

if it's another adventure game sure, otherwise no.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JZ

No

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By MezZa

Depends on the genre and what the developers want to go for. I doubt we'll see every action focused zombie game become extremely story focused in their future releases. Sometimes a man/woman just has to shoot zombies and leave it at that.

Starks94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Starks94

I think the Dead Island franchise could be the game that tries to go beyond endless zombie kills. That first trailer they released definitely had the elements of a real emotional story unfolding but it kind of fizzled once it was released. It already has an rpg-like atmosphere to it. I have hope though. Just imagine a story like what we witnessed in Walking Dead in the world of that game

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I don't believe it will be have much impact, developers tend to stick with co-op survival type game play when it comes to zombies and that probably won't change.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MiniPato

@Starks94 said:

I think the Dead Island franchise could be the game that tries to go beyond endless zombie kills. That first trailer they released definitely had the elements of a real emotional story unfolding but it kind of fizzled once it was released. It already has an rpg-like atmosphere to it. I have hope though. Just imagine a story like what we witnessed in Walking Dead in the world of that game

I don't see how the Dead Island franchise could be that game just because it had a good trailer that had nothing to do with the developers. Slap that trailer on to any other franchise and I bet one could say the same thing for them. And I doubt Dead Island Riptide will attempt to live up to that trailer. I will go out on a limb here and say that a co-op zombie RPG will never be able to have a good, emotional story or at the very least on par with The Walking Dead. Co-op zombie RPG just screams "endless zombie kills." While, yes, RPGs do have good stories most of the time, they tend not to be saddled with co-op. And, yes, Journey was a very emotional co-operative experience, but it wasn't saddled with RPG tropes of leveling up and getting the loots. Combine the two, and you're already forced to put gameplay first in sacrifice of the story.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.