Worth Playing this if I never watched TWD?

#1 Posted by Mcfart (1611 posts) -

Never watched TWD for more then 2 minutes, and know nothing aboot it.

Are these games for me?

#2 Posted by Slag (4269 posts) -

Well I didn't watch much of TV show and I really liked it.

really you don't need any knowledge of the series to play this game

#3 Posted by TheHT (11155 posts) -

sure.

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (11861 posts) -

If the game seems interesting to you, then yes.

I've never read any of the comics or watched any of the show, but I loved the game.

#5 Posted by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -
#6 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

I haven't watched anything TWD-related but this game sure as hell is my GOTY. I finished it not 20 minutes ago. I'm a wreck atm. Fuck that game is emotional.

#7 Posted by RecSpec (3805 posts) -

Never watched the show or read the comic and still loved it. The only thing you really miss are a couple of cameos.

#8 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4339 posts) -

You don't need to know anything about the show or comics and I personally think that the game puts the tv show to shame.

#9 Posted by Raven10 (1769 posts) -

The game tells a different story than the show from my understanding. I played it without having seen the show or watching the comics and didn't feel like I was missing anything. It works just fine as a standalone thing.

#10 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2365 posts) -

The game was my introduction to the series, so I'd say yes.

#11 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

Yes

#12 Posted by Flappy (2206 posts) -

Like others have said, you don't really need any knowledge of the show and/or comic to appreciate this game.  I, like many others, am a testament to that.

#13 Posted by Jrinswand (1706 posts) -

The show is bad. The game is amazing. That's really all you need to know.

Unless you want to read the comics, in which case, those are excellent as well.

#14 Posted by Milkman (16687 posts) -

It has absolutely nothing to do with the TV show. Play it.

#15 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1568 posts) -

Absolutely. Yes. Without a doubt. Play it.

#16 Posted by spiceninja (3056 posts) -

You don't need to know anything at all about the comics or the show to enjoy the game since they don't tie together in any meaningful way. Glen from the comics pops up in the first episode and that's really the only connection.

#17 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5231 posts) -

@PlasmaBeam44 said:

You don't need to know anything at all about the comics or the show to enjoy the game since they don't tie together in any meaningful way. Glen from the comics pops up in the first episode and that's really the only connection.

Lily and Herschel are from the comics too.

#18 Posted by Commisar123 (1791 posts) -

Yep, and if you ask me it's better than the show, though maybe not the comics/

#19 Posted by golguin (3894 posts) -

I would say yes since it's better than the show.

#20 Posted by panvixyl (325 posts) -

Yup. Doesn't have a thing to do with the show anyways.

#21 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I don't really enjoy the TV show but the TWD game is amazing. Some of the best storytelling in a game I've seen in awhile.

#22 Posted by Draugen (640 posts) -

Yes!!!

#23 Posted by UitDeToekomst (709 posts) -

I don't think one's enjoyment in seeing/playing one is at all dependent on seeing/playing the other. The fact that I personally dislike them both is coincidental, other than the fact that I despise zombie-related stuff and both, obviously, contain zombies.

#24 Posted by JohnstonThistle (42 posts) -

No, watch the show, the "game" sucks and is being unbelievably overrated.

#25 Posted by ModernAlkemie (363 posts) -

The only thing you might miss out on is the fact that a couple of characters from the show/comic make cameos, but their appearance isn't anything particularly special.

Definitely go for it. The story is well separated from any events in the show or comics, and spoilers aren't a huge issue if you want to read the comics or watch the TV show later. The game also doesn't assume any sort of knowledge of outside Walking Dead fiction and your enjoyment won't be at all affected by not being familiar with it.

#26 Posted by Lysergica33 (523 posts) -

I hated the show. It seemed like over-sentimental, cheesy trash to me. The game, however, is everything the show should've been.

#27 Posted by berniesbc (43 posts) -

The show and the game take place in entirely separate universes. It definitely will not be a problem.

#28 Posted by 8BitAvrin (17 posts) -

I never watched the show before playing this game, and I'm not even a fan of the whole zombie craze, but I really enjoyed this game. One of my many favorite games of all time. I definitely recommend it.

#29 Edited by cexantus (131 posts) -

@JohnstonThistle:

Yep. Guess how I felt while playing was completely artificial and unfounded. Thanks for showing me the way, man.

Seriously, "overrated" should be stricken from usage in any argument.

#30 Posted by RenegadeDoppelganger (407 posts) -

Yeah you don't need to have watched the show or read the books in order to enjoy the game. The game assumes you know absolutely nothing about the universe and takes it from there.

Also it's real good and you should play it.

#31 Edited by SeanFoster (866 posts) -

It's tangentially connected to the comics, and not at all with the show so don't worry about it.

#32 Edited by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

The comics are poorly written, right-wing masturbatory garbage and the show is padded-out, middling quality drama with juvenile gore (obvious caveat: 'IMO'). You don't need to know anything about them to get full enjoyment from the game, which is far better written than either and is a standalone story.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.