Uh...? Her name is really Metallica?

#1 Posted by PoisonJam7 (324 posts) -

How did they manage this? I see a lawsuit coming....

#2 Edited by TobbRobb (4554 posts) -

I know Metallica are crazy about copyrights, but they aren't THAT crazy. I think it's fine. It's not like anyone would confuse this little anime girl with a metal band.

#3 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

They did not invent that word. It could be used by someone outside of music. Although, you can always get sued anyway.

#4 Edited by ShaggE (6290 posts) -

@tobbrobb said:

I know Metallica are crazy about copyrights, but they aren't THAT crazy.

They *do* sleep with one eye open, gripping their copyrights.

... That's all I've got.

#5 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

She's a real iron maiden.

#6 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@mcghee said:

They did not invent that word. It could be used by someone outside of music. Although, you can always get sued anyway.

Is there anything about the character that makes sense to call her Metallica other than it being a bad ass character name though? Does she have any significant connection to metal? Or mining?

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/metallicus for those interested in why Metallica isn't just the name of a band.
In fact, the Band was named because a friend of Lars saw a book titled "Encyclopedia of Metallica" about, well, metal. In that context, Metallica is actually the combination of "Metal" and "Britannica," apparently.

Also, totally picked today as a "listen to Metallica in the morning" kind of day so I was kind of amused to see this pop up.

#7 Edited by Ghostiet (5208 posts) -

They're crazy, but not as bat shit as AC/DC, so they probably won't sue. If the character, at one point, tortures someone, James Hetfield will probably get all giddy because of the association.

#8 Edited by CollegeGuyMike (388 posts) -
#9 Posted by PoisonJam7 (324 posts) -

I wonder if this will ever come to the states. Does Metallica have a very big following in Japan, I wonder?

#10 Posted by Flappy (2112 posts) -

I wonder if this will ever come to the states. Does Metallica have a very big following in Japan, I wonder?

From what I understand, this will be coming to the West in 2014. They'll be changing some names for the localization (I forget the specifics), but that's about it. If I've learned anything over the years, it's that Japan isn't afraid of making references to Western music/culture.

#11 Edited by darkvare (757 posts) -

remeber why resident evil isn'r called biohazard in the us?

#12 Posted by TheHT (10802 posts) -

@darkvare said:

remeber why resident evil isn'r called biohazard in the us?

...no. Why?

#13 Posted by darkvare (757 posts) -

@theht: they changed the name cause at the time the band biohazard was popular

#14 Posted by Hailinel (23677 posts) -

@darkvare said:

@theht: they changed the name cause at the time the band biohazard was popular

Who?

#15 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5137 posts) -

They changed her name to Metallia for the English release, and also dropped the s off the "Knights" in the title (lololol). Saw on Neogaf.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.