Anyone tried the OSX version from Steam?

#1 Posted by JoeBigfoot (107 posts) -

I read somewhere that its more than just a wineskin this time (unlike witcher 1) but would rather not spend the cash to find it runs glacially slow on my MBP. Anyone tried the OSX version?

Before anyone helpfully suggests buying a gaming PC, its a laptop from work and I can't afford a gaming PC at the moment.

#2 Posted by ascagnel (74 posts) -

What are the specs of your OSX machine? TW2 has some pretty steep requirements, especially for the GPU, and Apple typically doesn't stick good GPUs in their lower-end hardware.

#3 Posted by NegativeCero (2988 posts) -

@JoeBigfoot: I know it's a month since you posted this, but I hope you didn't buy it if you only have a Macbook Pro because chances are you have Intel 3000 graphics, which aren't supported by the game.

#4 Posted by JoeBigfoot (107 posts) -

@NegativeCero: I didn't buy it for that exact reason. Its a bit rubbish that 13" MBPs all have integrated graphics (though its a work machine anyway). Though I was running DA:O on it recently with all settings maxed out and it looked very good, much better than my PS3, though I guess at this point thats to be expected. No chance of running witcher 2 though.

#5 Posted by SearingLight (18 posts) -

So, I tried to run this on a top-of-the-line non-Retina Late-'12 MBP. Here are my (basic) specs:

2.7GHz Intel Core i7

8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB GDDR5

1TB 5400RPM HDD

OSX 10.8.2

15inch display.

And on a Medium settings profile it performed with so much lag I could barely play it. On a Low Settings profile the game still hitched enough to annoy me into quitting out halfway through the tutorial. Tried it on many other resolutions and settings profiles as well as my Windows 7 Ultimate Boot Camp installation to the exact same results. For some reason, I highly doubt that this is a problem with my hardware...

#6 Posted by Cosmo811 (17 posts) -

Tried it on many other resolutions and settings profiles as well as my Windows 7 Ultimate Boot Camp installation to the exact same results. For some reason, I highly doubt that this is a problem with my hardware...

If you're getting the same results on a windows partition on the same computer then it is a problem with the hardware. That doesn't mean your hardware is crap, it just means that the hardware in your computer has been poorly optimised for the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.