Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Beginner need help.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

Hey, just bought the witcher 2 from steam.

I would say that, so far, I have a hard time enjoying the game. I don't think it's bad (far from it), but I'm a little lost.

I just got in the first town, picked up a couple of sidequest and explored a little. I've got this habit of doing sidequest first. Everytime I go out from the town, I die pretty fast. I have to replay the same combat at least twice, sometimes three times and that's only when I can finish it.

Would it be a better idea to begin with the main quest, and do the sidequests later? Are they gonna get easier or am I just really bad at the combat in this game?

I don't want to read guide, and I don't want to have the "perfect build" cause it spoils the game for me, but a little help could be needed.

Also, I plan to buy a controller soon, do you think this game is best played with a controller or with the mouse/keyboard combo?

Thanks!

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Liber

Always be dodging.

This game is brutal at the beginning, don't be greedy if you see an opportunity to hit but risk yourself in getting hit, just dodge and re-position yourself.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By emergency

Some of the side quests are quite hard.. Some of the main quests are quite hard. It's hard to guide you specifically. I played with a M&K and it worked well.

Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

@emergency: Maybe I wasn't really clear. I'm dying in the outskirt of the first town. I got to a sidequest once, and died there.

Also, it's not that I hate hard game (I have completed super meat boy at 100%), it's just that it feels a little cheap.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Animasta

you gotta be using magic, swords, dodging... all together, you can't just hit dudes. Use Quen if you're really having trouble, it's a god send

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gike987

Don't forget to use signs (magic) and bombs.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By emergency

Quen and Yrden, lots of dodging. If it fails make some bombs or traps.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CL60

Use Quen a lot.

kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kyrieee

There's no shame in putting it on easy if the combat is frustrating you.

As for combat tactics, Quen is the easy way out, but it more or less prevents you from using the other signs because you don't regenerate vigor ("mana") when it's active. Put points into Quen and you're close to invulnerable. If you don't have Quen on you should always avoid getting hit. Outside town you'll mostly run into Nekkers and Endregas. The Nekkers come in groups and it's important that you don't let them surround you, so use dodge a lot. Getting the ability to dodge further helps with that. Bombs and traps can also be useful, buy the Grapeshot bomb diagram from Cedric and craft some of those, throw them into packs of Nekkers.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By owl_of_minerva

My basic strategy was to lay down a Yrden sign and then roll, backstab, roll away. Rinse and repeat until you win. If you're having trouble make some potions or blade oils for the specific enemy. As you level up increase the skill that increases dodge distance and all the signs to level 3 (except maybe Axii). The game is hard at first but becomes quite easy once you've levelled up a bit.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By DeF

wasn't the 2.0 update supposed to add a better introduction to the game?

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@CL60 said:

Use Quen a lot.

That, and Yrden is pretty good if you're facing two opponents. Don't use Igni though, cause it sucks.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Ghostiet

If you're running on something else than 2.0, whore bombs. BIG TIME. Grapeshot will help a lot when clearing the nekker cave, for example.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By fattony12000

Always be blocking, dodging, parrying, Quening, play on normal, get a better sword and set of amour, use bombs and traps, upgrade your armour and weapon with shit, use oils and potions, if you're having problems.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By mosdl

Did you play the tutorial?

Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

@mosdl: Yes I did.

I'm beginning to manage, but I don't really like it. I'm just always rolling, spaming Quen, and attacking when I find an ennemy alone. It looks silly, and is not really fun. Maybe I'll enjoy it more when I'll be better at it.

kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kyrieee

@Fear_the_Booboo said:

@mosdl: Yes I did.

I'm beginning to manage, but I don't really like it. I'm just always rolling, spaming Quen, and attacking when I find an ennemy alone. It looks silly, and is not really fun. Maybe I'll enjoy it more when I'll be better at it.

Don't forget that you can parry blows. Aard is also very effective, both against groups and single enemies.

I used Quen a lot in my first playthrough but this time I'm not putting points into it and only using it if I get really low health.

Don't forget potions either. Swallow is the most useful basic one.

You can also try playing on easy, no shame in that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
    deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

I'm in a bit of the same boat. I switched over to easy, got the hang of it, switched back to normal, and now I'm stuck again. The whole thing feels a little off to me, as my whole strategy is just dodging, using Quen, and dodging more. This doesn't seem to be helping with the boss fight I'm on: SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.