Can you guys please clarify a plot line for me. (Spoilers)

#1 Edited by mordukai (7150 posts) -

So I got this game and I really like it. However, I also got into PC gaming just this last week so naturally I never got the chance to play the first one. When I started a new game I got a msg asking me to import a Witcher 1 save but being that I don't have one I just exit that and went on with my game. Naturally I thought it will just be a bunus money or expiance points or something to reward players who played the first one. Going through through the prologue and the first chapter I didn't pay much attention to this "main-hero-has-amnesia" theme intersecting with the main plot line until it came to me that this might be due to me not playing the first game.

What I would like to know if this is a plot line that get explored in case you don't have a Witcher 1 save file or is it a plot line that gets explored regardless. Are the events and people that you get to know throughout the flashback scene events that happened during the first game or are they events that happened between the first and second.

On a different subject, I am enjoying this game immensely. There are actual consequences to your actions in the game and I am really enjoying on how the game gives genuine impact to the decision you make and how conversations flow. I am also enjoying on how the quest system works. I just love how the developer just assumes the player is cable of thinking on their own and not pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Mind you that I right now I am only at the very beginning of chapter 2, I just entered the dwarves town, so please no spoilers beyond that point.

Thanks.

#2 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Congratz on the PC Mordukai! Tetchadesh. 
You've started on the wrong foot if you played Witcher 2 before 1 though! I highly recommend you get Witcher 1 off GOG and enjoy it before continuing the sequel. That game is too unique to be skipped, duder!

#3 Posted by Zimbo (875 posts) -

Geralts amnesia is part of the story throughout the series. It's not just if you didn't import a save. There are a few choices that carry over if you import a save but its nothing major I think. Playing the first game would help you understand the factions/politics and callbacks to previous events a bit more though.

Also, congrats on getting The Witcher 2. One of my favorite games.

#4 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Congratz on the PC Mordukai! Tetchadesh. You've started on the wrong foot if you played Witcher 2 before 1 though! I highly recommend you get Witcher 1 off GOG and enjoy it before continuing the sequel. That game is too unique to be skipped, duder!

Thanks. I am slowly becoming a convert to PC gaming. I just went and picked up a wired 360 controller and I'm pretty much set. PC and PS3 is really the magic combo.

Now back on Subject.

I know I should have played the first game before but I am too far into Witcher 2 to just leave that one and play the first one BUT...I have full intentions to play the first game right after and then go back to the second game for a another playthrough and see how the game plays out when taking different routes. on any case I would still like to know if that "amnesia" theme is a plot line you only get to explore if you hadn't play the first one.

#5 Posted by Tennmuerti (8099 posts) -
@Mordukai
 
I'll agree with Metallic that it's worth playing the first game first.
 
Geralt has amnesia starting from Witcher 1. Over the course of the first game he remembers certain things, relearns other stuff and gets generally brough up to speed on some current world events.
There is no real additional/seperate storyline to do with his amnesia in 2, it's just there. Geralt is basically working on stuff he learns in 1 and between 1 and 2, but there is still parts of his past he has blanks on.
So in a way his amnesia is constantly getting touched on throughought the game it's jsut not as prevasive as in 1.
 
The flashbacks are not from the first game, they are shit he is remembering now in second.
Most of them happened a long time before the witcher games.
Stuff from his past life.
 
There might be one or two from the first game, him just remembering, its been a while im not certain.
 
The import is basically only for some extra gear and money.
The story and events are far enough removed to not matter that much (aside from your GF, which is not really reflected in 2, sadly)
#6 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Mordukai:  How far are you in W2? Maybe there's still a chance to play Witcher 1 first. I really really recommend playing it first, but it's up to you :)
 
But to answer your question.. 
@Zimbo said:

Geralts amnesia is part of the story throughout the series. It's not just if you didn't import a save. There are a few choices that carry over if you import a save but its nothing major I think. Playing the first game would help you understand the factions/politics and callbacks to previous events a bit more though.

#7 Posted by Turambar (6784 posts) -
@Mordukai said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Congratz on the PC Mordukai! Tetchadesh. You've started on the wrong foot if you played Witcher 2 before 1 though! I highly recommend you get Witcher 1 off GOG and enjoy it before continuing the sequel. That game is too unique to be skipped, duder!

Thanks. I am slowly becoming a convert to PC gaming. I just went and picked up a wired 360 controller and I'm pretty much set. PC and PS3 is really the magic combo.

Now back on Subject.

I know I should have played the first game before but I am too far into Witcher 2 to just leave that one and play the first one BUT...I have full intentions to play the first game right after and then go back to the second game for a another playthrough and see how the game plays out when taking different routes. on any case I would still like to know if that "amnesia" theme is a plot line you only get to explore if you hadn't play the first one.

From what I could tell, transferring over a save gets you bonus gold and equipment, but doesn't add any additional quest lines or anything like that.
#8 Edited by Tennmuerti (8099 posts) -
@Mordukai said:

I know I should have played the first game before but I am too far into Witcher 2 to just leave that one and play the first one BUT...I have full intentions to play the first game right after and then go back to the second game for a another playthrough and see how the game plays out when taking different routes. on any case I would still like to know if that "amnesia" theme is a plot line you only get to explore if you hadn't play the first one.
In simple terms, no, it's always there.
He just continues to remember more stuff.
 
The save import does not impact 2 much in terms of choices from 1
#9 Edited by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Mordukai: How far are you in W2? Maybe there's still a chance to play Witcher 1 first. I really really recommend playing it first, but it's up to you :)

But to answer your question..
@Zimbo said:

Geralts amnesia is part of the story throughout the series. It's not just if you didn't import a save. There are a few choices that carry over if you import a save but its nothing major I think. Playing the first game would help you understand the factions/politics and callbacks to previous events a bit more though.

I just finished the very beginning part of Chapter 2. Right now I saved up right where you follow the dwarf to war meeting.

PS: If Letho touches just one strand of Triss's red hair I am gonna take my long sword and forcibly insert it into his anus...

I have a thing for redheads.

#10 Posted by Spoonman671 (4633 posts) -

I put 21 hours into this game, but just lost interest.  The story and characters are interesting, but the character progression was just too slow to hold my attention.  I want to want to get back into it, but I just don't feel the pull.

#11 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

Did you pick Iorveths path? I'm a huge advocate of playing both sides of The Witcher 2, but it isn't as big of a deal if you picked Iorveth first imo.

#12 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

I put 21 hours into this game, but just lost interest. The story and characters are interesting, but the character progression was just too slow to hold my attention. I want to want to get back into it, but I just don't feel the pull.

Too bad. I really enjoy this slow burn of this game and how it's taking it's time developing it's characters. it really makes you grow into the story much better and also creates a true personality to them and doesn't make them as a cardboard cut-out of a certain personality facet. It's a refreshing change coming from games that just cum-dump character personality on you. I also appreciate the how much grey areas the characters have.

#13 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@Adamsons said:

Did you pick Iorveths path? I'm a huge advocate of playing both sides of The Witcher 2, but it isn't as big of a deal if you picked Iorveth first imo.

Yes I did pick the Iorveth path. When time came I just couldn't let a warrior fend for himself with arms tied . I will replay the game and explore how the story unfold when taking the different route.

#14 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -
@Mordukai said:

@Adamsons said:

Did you pick Iorveths path? I'm a huge advocate of playing both sides of The Witcher 2, but it isn't as big of a deal if you picked Iorveth first imo.

Yes I did pick the Iorveth path. When time came I just couldn't let a warrior fend for himself with arms tied . I will replay the game and explore how the story unfold when taking the different route.

It will make a whole lot more sense than the reverse. In the Roche play through there are a bunch of characters you never really meet, which can make some events kind of confusing.
 
Hope you're enjoying it though duder, I beat it 3 times and will probably go again when the extra console content is added.
#15 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@Adamsons said:

@Mordukai said:

@Adamsons said:

Did you pick Iorveths path? I'm a huge advocate of playing both sides of The Witcher 2, but it isn't as big of a deal if you picked Iorveth first imo.

Yes I did pick the Iorveth path. When time came I just couldn't let a warrior fend for himself with arms tied . I will replay the game and explore how the story unfold when taking the different route.

It will make a whole lot more sense than the reverse. In the Roche play through there are a bunch of characters you never really meet, which can make some events kind of confusing. Hope you're enjoying it though duder, I beat it 3 times and will probably go again when the extra console content is added.

I'm enjoying the game tons. It does choice and consequence better then what Bioware tried to do throughout the entire MAss Effect series. I am a total convert on CD Projekt.

#16 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

The enhanced edition patch (free!) will come out around the release of the 360 version, which includes new quests, so a 2nd replay will work well once that comes out.

#17 Posted by kyrieee (379 posts) -

Like other people said the flashbacks are set between the last book and the first game, at least I think so.

If you replay the game your appreciation for it will only increase! However, the last chapter will be expanded in less than a month's time. Might want to wait.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.