Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Can't run Witcher 2 decently, please help?

Avatar image for hardcorebunni93
    hardcorebunni93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hardcorebunni93

Hi all, I'm not much of a PC gamer but I bought and played the Witcher 1 for my PC and loved it. It ran smoothly on medium settings and even on high settings it wouldn't run as smoothly but it ran ok. Now I bought the Witcher 2 and I'm having trouble playing it on low settings, any recommendations to solve my problem? So far I've managed to run it decently on the lowest of low settings but it looks nowhere near as good as the Witcher 1 on medium settings ran, can anyone help me?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Humanity

It is a pretty system intensive game. Unless people have some crazy INI fixes or whatnot to turn off higher DX support then I'm not sure much can be done beyond upgrading your PC.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

Specs, brother.

hardcorebunni93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hardcorebunni93

@believer258: My bad. Intel Core i3 3,10 ghz; 4gb of RAM; ATI Radeon 5450 HD running on Windows 7.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Ravenlight

@hardcorebunni93 said:

@believer258: My bad. Intel Core i3 3,10 ghz; 4gb of RAM; ATI Radeon 5450 HD running on Windows 7.

You've got better specs than me and I ran it just fine on medium-low settings.

Just to get the stupid stuff out of the way, are your video drivers up-to-date and have you restarted your computer recently?

hardcorebunni93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hardcorebunni93

Can't remember the last time I restarted my computer and I have no idea what a video driver is. Again, I'm a pretty big PC noob when it doesn't come to downloading torrents, reading news, social medias or other basic shit like that.

evanomeara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By evanomeara

Buy a 360

hardcorebunni93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hardcorebunni93

@evanomeara: Sold it off the day ME 2 and 3 were confirmed for the PS3. Haven't really regretted it since although I do miss the cozy controller design.

Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Impossibilium

@hardcorebunni93 said:

Can't remember the last time I restarted my computer and I have no idea what a video driver is. Again, I'm a pretty big PC noob when it doesn't come to downloading torrents, reading news, social medias or other basic shit like that.

If you don't know what a video driver is then you should switch to consoles. The performance game on a PC is a continuous battle of it's own and W2 is not a low maintenance experience.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By BraveToaster

@hardcorebunni93 said:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5572_upgrade-drivers-video.html

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By mosdl

Use the ATI Autodetect tool (link)

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Yeah, update your drivers. Every time I've ever had a problem running a game, it's always because my drivers were out of date.

@Impossibilium said:

@hardcorebunni93 said:

If you don't know what a video driver is then you should switch to consoles. The performance game on a PC is a continuous battle of it's own and W2 is not a low maintenance experience.

I think it's kind of rude to suggest he switch to consoles, when it's not really that hard to learn about and update your drivers. It doesn't take that much knowledge to understand and play PC games, and I'm sure there was a time when you didn't know what a driver was.

MadMagyar92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By MadMagyar92

@Impossibilium said:

@hardcorebunni93 said:

I was about to say: with all due respect, PC gaming doesn't seem right for you. Video drivers are basic for most PC gamers.

I'm not trying to be an elitist asshole about it, cause this shit can get complex at certain points, but sometimes consoles are a better solution for people. Otherwise, use BraveToaster's link and good luck with getting it running! Your system is capable.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zelyre

@hardcorebunni93: Do you have Steam? If so, open Steam. Go to the Steam menu. Update AMD Video Drivers. It'll essentially do it for you.

Sonti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sonti

- Also go to systemrequirementslab.com and type Witcher 2. It will scan your pc to see if it is good enough to run it.

- Search for the latest drivers for ATI Radeon 5450 HD on ATI's official website.

- Make sure your Windows is up to date as well.

- Restart your pc every now and then to get rid of stuff running in the background so they don't hog the memory and cpu.

- Make sure your directx 10 and 11 are all up to date.

- Clean your pc with a can of compressed air (dust slows your pc down)

- Clean your pc on the software side as well. Run defrag, delete temp files etc. Make sure you don't have too many programs using too much memory and processing, running in the background.

You should be able to play witcher 2 at medium/high just fine with those specs so if simple driver update doesn't work, we'll need to dig deeper (you'll need to provide more info).

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My tip: Turn of shadows. Those things suck.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By Justin258

@MadMagyar92 said:

@Impossibilium said:

@hardcorebunni93 said:

I was about to say: with all due respect, PC gaming doesn't seem right for you. Video drivers are basic for most PC gamers.

I'm not trying to be an elitist asshole about it, cause this shit can get complex at certain points, but sometimes consoles are a better solution for people. Otherwise, use BraveToaster's link and good luck with getting it running! Your system is capable.

At the same time, he could probably learn how to update drivers since it's only a matter of a few clicks. It really isn't hard.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By korwin

Steam should be able to handle an AMD driver upgrade, failing that you should be able to download the latest from amd.com (for that you will need to know if your running 32-bit or 64-bit Win7). I would also suggest maybe restricting your resolution to 1280x720 in the graphics options. The 5450 isn't a particularly powerful card (never was) so you will need to cut back a fair bit.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@hardcorebunni93: Run your resolution at either 1280x720 or 1280x800, depending on your monitor.

hardcorebunni93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hardcorebunni93

@believer258 said:

@MadMagyar92 said:

@Impossibilium said:

@hardcorebunni93 said:

At the same time, he could probably learn how to update drivers since it's only a matter of a few clicks. It really isn't hard.

Yeah, as I stated I really am not a PC gamer. However, I did love the Witcher 1 and I'm willing to do what is in my power to play the sequel. If learning how to upgrade video drivers is what it takes I will, with the help of the Internet and those on it who are willing to help. As for other hardcore PC gamers, I'll play my occasional RPG's quick and dirty, be done with it and get back to my PS3, don't you worry. I know how much you value your hardcore-ness, your pristine pool of PC gaming genes and the towers you have built that shall stand as your legacy.

@Sonti said:

- Also go to systemrequirementslab.com and type Witcher 2. It will scan your pc to see if it is good enough to run it.

- Search for the latest drivers for ATI Radeon 5450 HD on ATI's official website.

- Make sure your Windows is up to date as well.

- Restart your pc every now and then to get rid of stuff running in the background so they don't hog the memory and cpu.

- Make sure your directx 10 and 11 are all up to date.

- Clean your pc with a can of compressed air (dust slows your pc down)

- Clean your pc on the software side as well. Run defrag, delete temp files etc. Make sure you don't have too many programs using too much memory and processing, running in the background.

You should be able to play witcher 2 at medium/high just fine with those specs so if simple driver update doesn't work, we'll need to dig deeper (you'll need to provide more info).

Thanks a lot, man, to you and all others who have posted helpful feedback on this thread! You've been a tremendous help. I'll do all of the above suggestions and try to play it again after I'm done. Oh and yeah I bought it on Steam during the Summer Sale, I'll do that. I'll reply later when I've done everything and given the witcher2 another try.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By musubi

I would think his Catalyst Control Center would prompt him for a download. I know mine harasses me to update everytime there is a new driver. For the record I have a 5570 and have issues running it even with everything turned to minimum. But I can play Skyrim and Saints Row I at high settings and get ay least 30 FPS. I think there is something about the RED engine my system just doesn't like.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By CJduke

Turn of shadows and update your drivers and turn off anti-aliasing

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By mosdl

@Demoskinos said:

I would think his Catalyst Control Center would prompt him for a download. I know mine harasses me to update everytime there is a new driver. For the record I have a 5570 and have issues running it even with everything turned to minimum. But I can play Skyrim and Saints Row I at high settings and get ay least 30 FPS. I think there is something about the RED engine my system just doesn't like.

Saints Row and Skyrim aren't very graphically taxing as they use engines that support consoles. RED is a pc engine first and spits out a lot of polygons/etc. Skyrim with some of the graphics mods will slow down powerful PCs as well.

hardcorebunni93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hardcorebunni93

So I followed all of the suggestions posted by you guys and it runs much better on medium but still not as smoothly as I would like. Still, it's much better than it was before so a huge thank you all for your help :D

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Wampa1
    Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Wampa1

Forgot, If I need to get a new card to run the game at any kind of stable frame rate, what are the best deals at the moment up to about £250

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.