Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

CD Projekt are fantastic fellows.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

Just picked up Witcher 2 on 360. Game comes with a Quest Handbook and Soundtrack for free packed in with the game. Any other developer this would be the "Limited Editon" and cost $70. Good on you guys CD Projekt.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Nottle

@Demoskinos: Yes they seem to have taken notice of the Valve like idea of making your customer feel welcome and actually give them a reason to be loyal and stick around.

More devs need to do that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I consider them to be one of the most trustworthy, respectable developers out there, and I hope that people will go out in full force to get the console or PC version of The Witcher 2.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By joshthebear

I'm definitely going out in the morning to pick this up. I'm hoping to luck into a copy of the Dark Edition as I forgot to preorder it.

baconbutty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By baconbutty

How is the 360 version? I've all but decided to pick it up. The only thing stopping me would be if a revelation came about regarding huge game breakinge bugs or something?

Didn't run too great on PC. Very keen to play it through.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I have the PC edition which came with A LOT of extras packed in for the normal price of a PC game.

Also picking up the 360 version tonight. I have put no more than about 20 minutes into Witcher 2 on PC, but I like supporting CD Projekt because of this alone. I plan to play the game tonight though finally

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By benspyda

I'm also curious how the 360 version runs because its a beast to run on PC.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Sounds great, I can't wait to pick up tomorrow.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xyzygy

I have my Dark Edition waiting at EB Games for me as we speak. I'll be heading over to get it in the morning. Can't wait!!

@joshthebear said:

I'm definitely going out in the morning to pick this up. I'm hoping to luck into a copy of the Dark Edition as I forgot to preorder it.

It's sold out everywhere in pre-orders alone. Everywhere in the world. If you find one, you'll be so very lucky.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Marz
    @BaconBuTTy said:
    How is the 360 version? I've all but decided to pick it up. The only thing stopping me would be if a revelation came about regarding huge game breakinge bugs or something? Didn't run too great on PC. Very keen to play it through.
    It's totally fine on the 360, i've played a few hours and got into Flotsam and the frame rate holds up well and looks pretty good for a 360 game.   Texture quality isn't close to that of the PC version at high settings but It looks allright.
    Reddy1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Reddy1124

You know what's amazing? Being able to use the CD key that came with the Steam version on GOG and getting a FREE backup of Witcher 2 along with all of the GOG exclusive goodies. God bless CD Projekt.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dallas_Raines

It was really nice of them to give away a GOG backup for people that bought boxed versions.(Especially nice for me since my DVD drive stopped working)

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wasara88

Yeah they are a fantastic developement team. They make the games they want and do not compromise on the execution.
    I'm surprised they managed to bring Witcher to a console and not butcher it.
    And then there's all the packings and extra content that fantastic aswell.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RedRoach

@xyzygy said:

I have my Dark Edition waiting at EB Games for me as we speak. I'll be heading over to get it in the morning. Can't wait!!

@joshthebear said:

It's sold out everywhere in pre-orders alone. Everywhere in the world. If you find one, you'll be so very lucky.

You had me scared there, didn't realize you were talking about the special edition.

I'm really happy they brought the Witcher 2 to xbox, after all the amazing thing they've done or their community I'm really happy to support them. And i love me some fantasy rpg's.

baconbutty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By baconbutty
    @Marz
    @BaconBuTTy said:
    How is the 360 version? I've all but decided to pick it up. The only thing stopping me would be if a revelation came about regarding huge game breakinge bugs or something? Didn't run too great on PC. Very keen to play it through.
    It's totally fine on the 360, i've played a few hours and got into Flotsam and the frame rate holds up well and looks pretty good for a 360 game.   Texture quality isn't close to that of the PC version at high settings but It looks allright.
    It did run on my PC, but basically I had to drop a lot of the settings to medium, and the framerate hitched semi-regularly.

Does the latest PC update give me a better chance of it running well, or do people think I will just have a better, smoother experience if I go for the 360 version?

When I tried it on the PC it was a friend's copy. So, I am not out of pocket or anything.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Marz
    @BaconBuTTy said:
    @Marz
    @BaconBuTTy said:
    It did run on my PC, but basically I had to drop a lot of the settings to medium, and the framerate hitched semi-regularly. Does the latest PC update give me a better chance of it running well, or do people think I will just have a better, smoother experience if I go for the 360 version? When I tried it on the PC it was a friend's copy. So, I am not out of pocket or anything.
    to be honest, i would always recommend the PC version but if upgrading your PC is out of the question then i have no problems recommending the 360 version.  I don't think they did many performance improvements in the PC version of enhanced edition so you might end up with the same results.
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Ben_H

Them, Atlus and Valve know how to treat customers right. I have multiple soundtracks from Atlus games.  I've also started buying stuff from GOG, which really likes giving away soundtracks, desktop backgrounds, and tons of other stuff with games, even Fallout, which I got for free. 

Edit: Also, GOG's installer plays really nicely with WINE programs on Mac. I literally just installed Fallout in 2 clicks. Props to them for actually caring.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aegon

How's the combat and story? Does it get boring? 

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By TheHT

@Nottle said:

@Demoskinos: Yes they seem to have taken notice of the Valve like idea of making your customer feel welcome and actually give them a reason to be loyal and stick around.

+1

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By valrog

Indeed they are.

@H2Oyea said:

No.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Aegon
    @valrog said:

Indeed they are.

@H2Oyea said:

No.

What about the first question?
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Marz
    @H2Oyea said:
    @valrog said:

Indeed they are.

@H2Oyea said:

No.

combat, it's difficult at the beginning since you don't have upgraded abilities but picks up later in the game, very complex and there's lots of things to learn about it.  It's definitely not hack and slash even though it's action oriented.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Claude
    @TheHT said:

@Nottle said:

+1

+1
    Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bell_End

i have never listened to a game sound track CD. im sure some do but i have never felt the urge to listen to game music.

pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pantzing_nome

As soon as I wake up tomorrow I'm going to pick up a copy, I can't wait to play it.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @H2Oyea said:
    @valrog said:

Indeed they are.

@H2Oyea said:

No.

The combat and the story are both really great. Fluid dynamic combat which you can influence by upgrading your signs (magic spells) or swordplay in a variety of ways. Bombs and traps you can throw/set mid-battles, different oils to use on your swords for different types of enemies and beasts. The story is very well written, the world is well realized and the characters are surprisingly real and human. 

However the pacing and level design of the game are rather boring. The universe of the Witcher is supposed to be one that is infested with wild life and all kinds of beasts occupying its forests and caves, there is supposed to be a lot of traveling back and forth, exploring the semi-open world (that looks stunning, by the way) where you run into these creatures and get all kinds of side quests. But sadly the game's resources were sacrificed on cinematics and next-gen graphics that all you're left with in real time while playing is roaming the land on your own, very few NPCs around all of them standing still repeating the same lines, only a few types of beasts that only spawn in the same scarce locations and become a routine to kill, with a slow tedious run animation, listening to the sound of your boots on the ground and admiring the graphics while bored out of your mind of this rather-dead (but very good looking) art museum.  

Not to mention that instead of traversing the realm and having a bunch of exciting chapters in various exotic environments and locations and their weathers and terrains and beasts and myths and people, the game consists of an OK, heavily story-based first chapter, a looooooong second chapter where you will dread the paths you run through over and over, and a short, yet again heavily story-based third chapter that ends before you know it.
    baconbutty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By baconbutty

Picked up my 360 version. The packaging is great, the map is awesome and has boobs on it.

The game looks fantastic, easily better than it would on my PC.

All in all I am extremely happy. CD projekt deserve for this game to make them a mountain of cash. And hopefully with the 360 release, it will.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Benny

Bioware and Infinity Ward and other similar developers would love to give you free huge updates and DLC and soundtracks along with their games, but it's ultimately the publisher who handles that stuff. And I guess Atari are happier to do that stuff than say, EA. Just don't be naive and think the developers are the ones gouging you for pre-order bonuses, or sparing you from them.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By CJduke

The PC version came with a letter that you read in game, a coin from in the game, a strategy guide, the soundtrack, and a making-of DVD. CD Project RED is the best, I hope the 360 version sells a fuck ton of copies.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I love these guys, they really deliver a great product and they know how to keep customers interested.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FritzDude

Yes. I already own a limited edition of the game on PC, but I bought it for the 360 aswell. I was thinking on getting the Dark Edition, but sadly it was soldout everywhere, and the day they sent my copy they got in two copies of it - which got sold out in a minute anyways - Typically my luck right there.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I'm surprised it comes with that stuff. Not because of CD Pojekt, because wasn't it WB that published the 360 version? There wasn't squat in the Mortal Kombat box.

Also, I really need to buy this game.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jimbo

They've been great so far with regards treating their customers fairly, going right back to The Witcher 1. It makes it very easy to recommend their games to people, so I hope they keep it up.

baconbutty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By baconbutty

The only downside is the lack of a cool meditation menu with drinking menus. I do miss that...

Otherwise, two hours in and this is solid gold.

Tamaster92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By Tamaster92

Cd projekt red are the best game developer IMO. Not only is witcher 2 one the very best games but they have the best customer service I have ever seen. They deserve massive success and I hope they get it

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hatking

It's cute that you guys still think the developers gets any say in what is packed with their games.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By BoG

I'm happy to hear that this is such a great company. I'll be picking up EE for the 360 later today, and I'm really excited. It's even better to know that I'm supporting a good company.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#38  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Reddy1124 said:

You know what's amazing? Being able to use the CD key that came with the Steam version on GOG and getting a FREE backup of Witcher 2 along with all of the GOG exclusive goodies. God bless CD Projekt.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess their nefarious plan worked as I now have a GOG account.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By valrog

@H2Oyea said:

@valrog said:

Indeed they are.

@H2Oyea said:

No.

Didn't have enough time for a full reply.

Anyway, the combat is great. But, in the beginning you may find it difficult and somewhat unfair. I know that even when I was further in the game I could easily get killed if I wasn't careful. Bashing the buttons won't get you very far. You will have to think through your moves, and make use of everything at your disposal. After you get the hang of it (Which should just come to you after playing the game for some time), you will start to realize and appreciate the depth and how it works.

As for the story, it's a well thought of convoluted path with many intersections of events. Everything has consequences, and it translates well into the story itself. No matter what you do, no matter what decision you make, the story will adapt to it. Which is the whole beauty of it. It's hard to explain in text, I would have to draw it. But, the important thing is, that it's not like other fantasy works, but rather something new, dark and cold. Story involves a lot of politics in it (Much more than what you'd expect from a fantasy world), philosophy, and some other stuff. There's no black and white, but a sea of shades of grey. I hope this answers your question(s).

@AhmadMetallic: Whoa, whoa. Okay, one step at a time. First of all, how do you know what a Witcher's world is "supposed" to be like? Second, your arguments conflicts your own logic, because I'm not sure if you remember, the first game had pretty much the same basis. How is running around in Henselt's Camp any different than that goddamn Black Tern Island or hell, even Outskirts of Vizima? It's not. While I do agree that there could/should be more monsters inhabiting the places of the second game, everything else you said as a bad thing for the second one, pretty much applies to the first one as well.

Okay, there could be more caves and things to explore, I won't argue there, but, BUT, one thing must be kept in mind. The story of Assassins of Kings is much different, and much more dynamic than that of the first one. And with that little detail, everything changes.

The Witcher is constantly on the move, the events are taking place at a much shorter time interval, so there is no time for things that would take too much time (How much monster hunting have you done when Vizima was burning? That's right). Geralt still did what he does best, but he was on a hunt. A more dynamic hunt than the first game. If someone frames you for murder of the King of Temeria, would you I don't know, waste time running through the fields of some forgotten island that nobody cares about? Probably not.

Also, short Chapter III argument is rendered invalid now, as they have expanded it. Sorry for the wall of text.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#40  Edited By musubi

@BaconBuTTy: Yeah, having played the PC version myself noticed that was missing too. Still, besides that and the obvious change in lighting models the game is same exact thing that you get on PC.

SeaMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SeaMoose

Pre-ordered mine through Amazon and the box has been signed by some dude on the FX Team. It's a nice little touch to a decent package overall.

GolazoDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GolazoDan

Likewise, preordered from Amazon (on a late night whim!) and got the additional booklets and a signed box. Which I didn't expect. I thought it'd somehow been vandalised before it was put into the cellophane (until I saw loads of other people saying HEY MY BOX IS SIGNED!). Nice touch.

DBHErazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DBHErazor

<3 CDPR. Hands down one of the best developers to date!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.