Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Do You Think The 360 Version Will Have An Optional Texture Pack?

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Contro

What do you think?. This option seems like it's going to be quite popular within the next year or so, when an array of developers will be pushing the 360 (and PS3) to their limits with demanding game engines that are memory rich.

The latest 360 build looks OK, but I don't think that's going to enough with this game, I think console gamers will naturally want some of the notable eye candy we PC gamers get to revel in currently. As someone who would like to see the series thrive, It would be a shame if the game doesn't make console gamers wow in wonder at how beautifully crafted the game world is.

Do you think the fact the PC game is DX9 will have any positive impact on the graphics of the console version?

xplay25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By xplay25

I don't think they're going to be able to communicate that game's beauty through consoles the way that they can on the PC. Those consoles are built on technology from before the Witcher 2's engine was even being built. That said, the game was created with consoles in mind. It scales pretty well.

The fact that it's a DX9 game softens the contrast, I think, because they aren't doing the tessellation, etc that we see in some of the DX11 games. It could be a lot worse when you consider the fact that Crysis 2 in DX11 is extremely pronounced in its superiority over the DX9 console versions.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Commisar123

Possibly, but I think most likely it will just have worse visuals.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Sooty

@Contro said:

Do you think the fact the PC game is DX9 will have any positive impact on the graphics of the console version?

There's a ton of games that are DX9 on PC and console yet still look far better on PC. This really isn't anything to do with what DirectX version is being used, I think The Witcher 2 is the best looking game out and that includes Battlefield 3 and Metro 2033 which are DX11 showcase titles.

Lower res textures, 25-30 FPS, longer load times, reduced draw distances and possibly pop-in, it'll be fine for a console release since most games are like this on those platforms. If I only owned a console I'd just be happy to be playing the game because it's fantastic, but at the same time I'm extremely glad I got to play it on PC silky smooth @ ultra.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Syndrom

i'm just fucking happy i will be able to play this game, it still looks great. And if i would try and run it on my macbook pro (yeye, i have a mbpro cause of educational reasons, and i'm more of a console gamer anyways) it would probably blow up.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By mosdl

Consoles don't have the memory to handle high res textures, so no.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AlexW00d

@Sooty said:

@Contro said:

There's a ton of games that are DX9 on PC and console yet still look far better on PC. This really isn't anything to do with what DirectX version is being used, I think The Witcher 2 is the best looking game out and that includes Battlefield 3 and Metro 2033 which are DX11 showcase titles.

Lower res textures, 25-30 FPS, longer load times, reduced draw distances and possibly pop-in, it'll be fine for a console release since most games are like this on those platforms. If I only owned a console I'd just be happy to be playing the game because it's fantastic, but at the same time I'm extremely glad I got to play it on PC silky smooth @ ultra.

It's also missing SSAO so the lighting won't look anywhere near as good as it does on PC. The game will still look awesome.

@mosdl said:

So, why did BF3 include them? There might be a BF3 equivalent thing, as W2 is on two discs as well.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By musubi
    @AlexW00d Witcher 2 is on 2 discs because it's freaking massive. The PC version clocks in at 14GB if I remember right and that's before the new content.
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mosdl

@AlexW00d said:

@mosdl said:

So, why did BF3 include them? There might be a BF3 equivalent thing, as W2 is on two discs as well.

I should have said it can't handle the high res textures the PC version uses. The 360 BF3 high res textures were just the normal textures - non harddisk 360s got lower res textures I believe, while the high res ones had to be installed.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AlexW00d

@Demoskinos said:

@AlexW00d Witcher 2 is on 2 discs because it's freaking massive. The PC version clocks in at 14GB if I remember right and that's before the new content.

It's 17GB actually, and that's pre-2.0. The PC version of BF3 is 15GB too. My point is, maybe they'll have an install thing on disc so to help alleviate load times and pop-in, which is what the BF3 install did too.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BrockNRolla

@mosdl said:

@AlexW00d said:

@mosdl said:

I should have said it can't handle the high res textures the PC version uses. The 360 BF3 high res textures were just the normal textures - non harddisk 360s got lower res textures I believe, while the high res ones had to be installed.

Yeah, my doubts are high the 360 could handle hi-res textures for the Witcher.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mosdl

@BrockNRolla said:

@mosdl said:

@AlexW00d said:

@mosdl said:

Yeah, my doubts are high the 360 could handle hi-res textures for the Witcher.

There is no way, as the 360 (and the PS3) don't have enough ram or vram to handle them. But since the consoles only render in 720p, the loss in texture resolution isn't that bad.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By musubi
    @AlexW00d I hear you but the DVD's only hold what....9GB and at least a gig of that space is used for the security stuff no? Not seeing how they can do that on two discs unless they have some sort of magic compression tech.
    d0rks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By d0rks
    For those who are interested in these type of numbers: On the Xbox 360 the game wants 7.7 GB per disc to be installed, for a total of 15.4 GB when installing both discs. 
    Switching discs is needed once per playthrough, unless reloading a prior save ('most recent save' is determined by timestamp, sometimes it may pick an autosave. There are 15 save slots, of which 3 are used for autosaving.)   

The most 'obvious' graphics-related issue I encountered was texture pop-in during gameplay as well as during the dialog cut scenes, not so much the cinematic ones. On several occasions the textures would either be severely distorted (rainbow pixels) or absent at all (just the geometry of the environment in solid colours). Reloading, or rather restarting the game and then reloading fixed those.  Also, blocky faces still exist, behold Triss' face during dialog or cut scenes for evidence.

Although the game looks great, it's certainly not as immaculate as the PC version (running on a decent/good 'rig') in terms of graphical fidelity and performance, but that comparison is not necessarily a fair one. 
    Also, the game looks great and if you don't have a capable PC this is a great opportunity to finally play this great game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.