Does this game not have a "happy ending?" (Spoilers)

#1 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

So I spent the past 6 days playing Witcher 2 exclusively (second playthrough). This time around I did everything to be done, read every book, thought about my decisions and so on. And unlike my first time around, I enjoyed every minute of it.

Now, I beat the game last night and while I admire the game's "realistic" story where there doesn't seem to be a happy ending like every movie and game has, I gotta ask, which outcome for this game is considered the happy ending?

My outcome:

• I killed Saskia the dragon because her mind was in limbo
  • The kings exterminated the Lodge <== That's good right? Since the Lodge is the devil.
  • Henselt and Radovid divided Temeria among themselves
  • Stennis became the king of Aedern, while Northern Aedern became refuge for outcasts (or something).
  • I let Letho go because he's an alright dude, an old friend, and most importantly a fellow Witcher
  • The ending cinematic which I don't remember from pre-Enhanced Edition shows the armies of the Empire marching north and clearly the northern kingdoms will soon be defeated and gone.

Which raises the following questions:

1. Was there any way to save Saskia from the mind control and make her the queen of Aedern or was she doomed either way?
  2. Was there a possibility of crowning a new king for Temeria or does it get split between the two kings no matter what?
  3. Was it possible to weaken the Empire or are they meant to fuck the north up no matter what?
  4. Yennefer seems like the biggest fake hope in this game. I did everything that made me think I would find her, but she's with the Empire and out of reach.

So basically what I'm asking is, are there any other "lesser evil" outcomes or is it the same no matter what you do?

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Yes you can save her. Its the elfen path. 

#3 Posted by MeierTheRed (4941 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Yes you can save her. Its the elfen path.

I believe this is true.

#4 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

And all the other stuff more or less is supposed to be part of the third game I assume. And this game is not about a "Good and bad" Path. The entire game is the gray area. There is no clearly defined good or evil. You are no there to be a hero. You are here to save ya girls and get paid. 

#5 Posted by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -

Yes, you can free Saskia if you follow Iorveth's path, but you have to go with Philippa on that route.

You can also have Temeria stay as a strong country by finding Anais LaValette and putting her in the care of John Natalis on Roche's path.

#6 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

And all the other stuff more or less is supposed to be part of the third game I assume. And this game is not about a "Good and bad" Path. The entire game is the gray area. There is no clearly defined good or evil. You are no there to be a hero. You are here to save ya girls and get paid.

The Witcher's appeal is the grey area being your perspective as Geralt, your decisions, not the outcomes being in a "grey area." In the first Witcher, it was all a grey area and you didn't have good or evil choices, just choices, yet the outcome was simply a good ending: You kill the villain and save the king.

@Ghostiet said:

Yes, you can free Saskia if you follow Iorveth's path, but you have to go with Philippa on that route.

Oh right, I chose Triss. What would've happened to Triss if I went with Phillippa, and what would've happened to Saskia? Does she become queen?

You can also have Temeria stay as a strong country by finding Anais LaValette and putting her in the care of John Natalis on Roche's path.

I took Iorveth's path so I guess, so long Temeria!

#7 Edited by Humanity (9867 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: Nothing really happens if you go with Phillippa over Triss - Letho ends up saving her and they both show up at the tribunal right before Saskia the dragon attacks.

It's actually one of the choices that is not really that great in an otherwise spectacular game since you'd think that if you don't go to Triss right away she will either die or something terrible will happen to her like for instance what happens to Phillippa. This kinda leads what I assume is most players to go save Triss instead of going with Phillippa who is ostensibly evil at that point of the game. Yet by going to Triss you give up an important part of the game, while if you don't go save her nothing really happens since the game just works around it.

#8 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

@Humanity: This choice is somewhat better on Roche's path, where both decisions seem equally difficult to make.

Also, it never ceases to amaze me just how many different things can go different ways. Just... Incredible.

#9 Posted by Demoskinos (15106 posts) -

This game has plenty of happy endings. You just have to go into the seedy part of town and pay for them.

#10 Posted by fugie7 (1109 posts) -

yeah it has a happy ending.

#11 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: But was he truly a villain? The entire path you take in the first game, regardless which one, outweighs the "good ending". I consider the ending more than just a final cutscene, so I wouldn't say there was anything saintly about the whole ending.

#12 Posted by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic said:

Oh right, I chose Triss. What would've happened to Triss if I went with Phillippa, and what would've happened to Saskia? Does she become queen?

Triss is fine, Letho saves her. If you go with Philippa, you can cure Saskia from her mind control, so she remains a wild card and it's implied she's back to Vergen and aiming for being a queen.
#13 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

@Ghostiet: Can you have sex with Saskia?

#14 Posted by Grillbar (1895 posts) -

it has a bunch of happy endings. that's how he rolls. and thats why it got an R rating

#15 Posted by Tennmuerti (8172 posts) -

@valrog: nope

@AhmadMetallic: Empire always prepares for the invasion. Yenefer seems like the main thread in the continuation of the series, tying into the Empire and also the Wild Hunt, all of these things seem like the ongoing overall new arc.

@Humanity: I look at it more like not all decisions are binary, sometimes a decision wont have a bad result period while the other path has a negative, without knowing beforehand they seem both as a trade off (to you and Geralt), but turns out aren't. It's kind of more realistic, if you aren't gaming the choices.

#16 Edited by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -
#17 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

@Tennmuerti: @Ghostiet: This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed in the third game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.