Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

How Do You Play Witcher and 'First Impressions'?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Running at about 30 FPS rendered on 1080p on Ultra Setting. Increased view distance. Disabled AA. Beautiful beautiful game. The level of attentention to detail is unprecedented. One of the first things to be rendered. The female form in all its glory and pubic hair! Playing on Hard with KB&M. Will try out gamepad eventually. Currently on Part 3 of the prologue. While the tutorial/prologue setting is stunning, the execution of the tutorial is lacking. Tiny 'how to' windows appear and disappear in the blink of an eye. Pretty much leaves you struggling on your own.

Took me quite a bit to wrap my head around combat. Block being coupled with magic (via vigor ressource) ain't what I call intuitive. That's my main complaint thus far. Menus and mechanics don't handle intuitively. Until I figured out that I've got to go into 'Meditation Stance' to chug buff potions and allocate talent points once I've leveled up - I've already thrown my first tantrum by then. God damn tiny tutorial windows popping up and instantly disappearing again. I think I figured the game out by now. Learned enough of its quirks to be able to cope with it's 'in-intuitiveness'.

I believe I'm in for quite an outstanding experience now that I've weathered the storm of anger and confusion caused by its poor tutorial mechanics. How hard can it be to pause the game when tutorial text comes up and have an 'OK!' button for when I've read it all? I guess I'll never completely get over block being governed by the same ressource like magic. Sometimes I wonder why some developers don't want their games to be intuitive and fun and put in 'crippling' mechanics like that. Not gonna stop me from having a great time though.

Vitalogy11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Vitalogy11
    @Seppli: Thank you for posting your perspective. I'm rebuilding my PC right now and I think I want my maiden game to be Witcher 2.  Despite the shortcomings you listed I am looking forward to this game and thanks for listing a couple of frustrating design issues that I now know to look out for.
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Bocam

What are your system specs? What's your FPS during fights?

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By defaulttag

TURN OFF UBERSAMPLING -major cause for this game's ridiculously low framerates according to other witcher 2 threads/google.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Seppli
    @Bocam said:
    Phenom X4 965BE
    4GB 1333 DDR3 RAM
    HD 5870
    Windows 7 64x

At least in the Prologue, the game seems very well optimized. There's tons going on and the framerate doesn't stutter at all, no matter what's going on. It's a steady 30 FPS for me (measured by the thumb).
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bocam
    @defaulttag: What does ubersampling actually do?
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Seppli
    @defaulttag said:

TURN OFF UBERSAMPLING -major cause for this game's ridiculously low framerates according to other witcher 2 threads/google.

Didn't experience any 'ridiculously low' framerates thus far. Depending on what it does, I will turn it off though - if it really gives me such a huge FPS boost.
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bocam

Seems like the game is maxed out at 30 fps... which is weird

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Thule

All the tutorials can be re-read in your journal. Combat can be a bitch, but I'll deal with it. I'm playing on hard and some fight are really really tough. However, it's just a matter of experimentation. You definitely can't go wailing into combat like the first game, you need to use everything: signs, traps and bombs.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By AlexW00d

I can only assume ubersampling is someone's way of saying supersampling? Which is just AA which you already have turned off.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By valrog
    @Seppli: Aren't the tutorials saved in your journal?
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Seppli
    @Thule said:

All the tutorials can be re-read in your journal. Combat can be a bitch, but I'll deal with it. I'm playing on hard and some fight are really really tough. However, it's just a matter of experimentation. You definitely can't go wailing into combat like the first game, you need to use everything: signs, traps and bombs.

Yep. That's why I go for hard settings too. Balancing that forces me to master every aspect of gameplay. Melee & Magic & Alchemy & Items/Consumables. Looking foward to growing really good at being a witcher.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Seppli
    @valrog said:
    @Seppli: Aren't the tutorials saved in your journal?
    Sure thing. It's just that the journal prompt was gone just as quickly as the rest. Didn't think of it until I REALLY needed to get buffed up.
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bocam

So after I turned off both AA and Ubersampling I'm getting an average of 30 to 45 FPS. I wonder how fast the game will run if I turn everything to low?

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thehexeditor
    @Bocam said:
    So after I turned off both AA and Ubersampling I'm getting an average of 30 to 45 FPS. I wonder how fast the game will run if I turn everything to low?
    In your opinion, is the game playable at say , 25 FPS?
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Seppli said:

@Bocam said:

Phenom X4 965BE4GB 1333 DDR3 RAMHD 5870Windows 7 64xAt least in the Prologue, the game seems very well optimized. There's tons going on and the framerate doesn't stutter at all, no matter what's going on. It's a steady 30 FPS for me (measured by the thumb).
    Somebody else in another thread was complaining that (with almost the same build) it was running poorly. Glad to hear it's running well on your rig; the similarity in our systems gives me hopes for running this bad boy on Ultra.

@thehexeditor said:
    @Bocam said:
    Don't most console games only run at 30 FPS, anyway? 
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bocam
    @thehexeditor: Only if you don't mind the audio getting desynched but anything lower then 20 will make the battles a pain in the ass to do
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AlexW00d

Just did a quick Google: this ubersampling is only meant for machines running on the 6990 or 590, as it is so damn demanding. It renders everything multiple times and applies the best AA it can to give you the best possible quality of visuals.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Bocam said:
    Seems like the game is maxed out at 30 fps... which is weird
    Could it be just because of the in game v-sync? I mean older games like Dead Space did this thing where it would cap the FPS at 30 no matter what if you had v-sync on. A way around that was just to force V-sync through D3D overrider or GPU drivers, bypassing the 30fps and instead rendering it in a smoother 60fps.

Of course if the framerate is hardcoded into the game, then I guess we will have to deal, but I just find it odd that a PC only game would be locked at 30.

Either way I cannot freaking wait until I have enough money to pick this one up. The more I hear about it, the more I want to play it.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By vitor
    @thehexeditor said:
    @Bocam said:
    Totally playable at that - combat is more reaction based than usual for an RPG but there's still a little leeway with the timing. I'm occasionally getting 25FPS in the more hectic fights/VS larger monsters and I don't feel hugely disadvantaged because of it. 

@Seppli said:

Running at about 30 FPS rendered on 1080p on Ultra Setting. Increased view distance. Disabled AA. Beautiful beautiful game. The level of attentention to detail is unprecedented. One of the first things to be rendered. The female form in all its glory and pubic hair! Playing on Hard with KB&M. Will try out gamepad eventually. Currently on Part 3 of the prologue. While the tutorial/prologue setting is stunning, the execution of the tutorial is lacking. Tiny 'how to' windows appear and disappear in the blink of an eye. Pretty much leaves you struggling on your own.Took me quite a bit to wrap my head around combat. Block being coupled with magic (via vigor ressource) ain't what I call intuitive. That's my main complaint thus far. Menus and mechanics don't handle intuitively. Until I figured out that I've got to go into 'Meditation Stance' to chug buff potions and allocate talent points once I've leveled up - I've already thrown my first tantrum by then. God damn tiny tutorial windows popping up and instantly disappearing again. I think I figured the game out by now. Learned enough of its quirks to be able to cope with it's 'in-intuitiveness'.I believe I'm in for quite an outstanding experience now that I've weathered the storm of anger and confusion caused by its poor tutorial mechanics. How hard can it be to pause the game when tutorial text comes up and have an 'OK!' button for when I've read it all? I guess I'll never completely get over block being governed by the same ressource like magic. Sometimes I wonder why some developers don't want their games to be intuitive and fun and put in 'crippling' mechanics like that. Not gonna stop me from having a great time though.

Ugh, I hadn't spent a single talent point until well past the introduction and post castle sequence because the game never told me I'd levelled up nor what to do with my extra exp.... 
    Really enjoying the game so far and the new beta Nvidia drivers helped with performance (got it at about high settings at 1600x900 - looks great but that bloom effect is a little much at times) but this game does not hold your hand. 

And you're right about the tutorial windows - the text is tiny and if you take a step too far, it vanishes forever.

Gamepad is fantastic by the way - the menus are pretty clumsy but the combat/realtime ability selection is wonderful and I can't imagine using a KB/M for that stuff anymore. Combat has a great hack and slash feel to it while retaining all the depth this way.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Seppli

By the way. The premium edition is a nice touch. It's almost as complete as what other games pass as limited editions - at regular retail price. Including a map and a krakenskull coin and a making of DVD and Papercraft and more..

Almost like all games were back in the day before jewelcases.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bocam

I got the collector edition and Geralt's head can be used to kill someone and that makes me happy

Evilv6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Evilv6
    @Seppli said:
    By the way. The premium edition is a nice touch. It's almost as complete as what other games pass as limited editions - at regular retail price. Including a map and a krakenskull coin and a making of DVD and Papercraft and more..Almost like all games were back in the day before jewelcases.
    Amen to that. 

I've been quite busy today, so I have only played the first part of the prologue and I can say that I'm really liking the combat, can't say I love it because of some minor flaws:
    -Geralt will randomly stop blocking attacks
    -Magic takes a while to come out
    -I'm not really liking that we can no longer drink potions in combat 
    -Combat can be quite challenging at times, to the point that I mainly used "hit & run" strategies.

Still,  take in mind that this is just a really early first impressions from the prologue of the game.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Seppli said:
    One of the first things to be rendered. The female form in all its glory and pubic hair! 
    awesome.... ahem. o_O

Tiny 'how to' windows appear and disappear in the blink of an eye. Pretty much leaves you struggling on your own.
    when i play such games, i spend the first 30 minutes taking steam screenshots of every tutorial window, pause game, open screenshot and read it..
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SlasherMan
    @Seppli: Your post is spot on with my first impressions, as well.
    The tutorial seemed to be lacking. It felt like I was left to figure things out on my own, and having been used to the first Witcher and this being different in every way that matters, it was a bit overwhelming and even frustrating at time.
    For example, I only figured out there was a Vigor bar that I should watch when parrying after I reached the first town. That was after 5 hours of play. Apparently, there was a notice that supposedly informed me about this in the first half hour, but I couldn't read most of the messages that were showing up since they faded out so quickly.

I did eventually read them in the Journal, but even then, I felt that there could have been a lot more. I'm still not entirely used to the combat, and I suspect there a lot of things I'm simply unaware of yet.
    The combat is not easy in this game. It's not a bad thing as I like a challenge, but I could have really used a tutorial that better eases you into it.

Anyway, back to playing!
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Seppli
    @Bocam said:
    @defaulttag: What does ubersampling actually do?
    To my experience (I turned it off now, which nearly doubled my FPS), it only adds some kind of vision blur effect when panning the camera. Didn't like that to begin with.
    kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kyrieee

My first impression is that this game is awwweeeeeeeeesome :D

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Seppli
    @Evilv6 said:

@Seppli said:

By the way. The premium edition is a nice touch. It's almost as complete as what other games pass as limited editions - at regular retail price. Including a map and a krakenskull coin and a making of DVD and Papercraft and more..Almost like all games were back in the day before jewelcases.
    Amen to that. 
    I've been quite busy today, so I have only played the first part of the prologue and I can say that I'm really liking the combat, can't say I love it because of some minor flaws:
    -Geralt will randomly stop blocking attacks
    -Magic takes a while to come out
    -I'm not really liking that we can no longer drink potions in combat 
    -Combat can be quite challenging at times, to the point that I mainly used "hit & run" strategies.

Still,  take in mind that this is just a really early first impressions from the prologue of the game.
    Jup, there's definitely some oddities going on with combat responsiveness. Despite having vigor, sometimes he'll refuse to block or cast a sign. Blocking/parry being linked to spellcasting via Vigor ressource is 'no-no' design decision in the first place. Should have gone with a timing based mechanic instead of crippling defenses that way. Damage is linked up with vigor too. It doesn't do it any favors either.

The whole meditating mechanic is another factor which is kinda off-putting. Cannot level-up and buff-up unless the game allows me to meditate, which it doesn't at all times. Playing on hard difficulty, fights can get super-tricky without buffs. That's causing me some anger. Walking into fights unbuffed and without properly allocating talent points - just because there wasn't any legit place to do so beforehand.

Don't get me wrong. I've fucking fallen for this game hard. Once I've gotten past its quirks and understood its finer points - gotten past the confusion and anger bits of getting accustomed to Witcher 2's way of doing things; there nothing stopping me from fucking loving it. It's just too beautiful and the detail and love that oozes out of every pore - I just can't be mad at it for all its little faults, when the bigger picture downright scorches these dark spots away with a brightness. Just grandios.
    RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RadixNegative2

Has anyone figured out how to deal with groups of enemies? I can't figure this out. In the first Witcher you had a stance that dealt with groups, but that's gone.
    Overall I'm finding this games combat and controls to be extremely frustrating and unresponsive (as others have stated). I love this game and it's a lot of fun so far. but the combat and controls are really giving me headaches.

On another note I have to say this game looks very beautiful, especially the lighting and colors in the different environments.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Seppli
    @ashkanhoss29 said:

Has anyone figured out how to deal with groups of enemies? I can't figure this out. In the first Witcher you had a stance that dealt with groups, but that's gone. Overall I'm finding this games combat and controls to be extremely frustrating and unresponsive (as others have stated). I love this game and it's a lot of fun so far. but the combat and controls are really giving me headaches. On another note I have to say this game looks very beautiful, especially the lighting and colors in the different environments.

I'm just popping that 'Lightning Armor' sign, which makes me invulnerable to melee attacks for up to 3 strikes. Downside - no Vigor recovery while it's active. Killing weak targets first with little consideration for danger. As long as the buff's up, you'll have no pushback when getting hit. 3 heavy strikes will take care of a weakling.

Really hoping I'll be able to unlock some 'AoE' melee attacks, since swings only seem to hit the targeted foe, which is to my disdain.
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vorbis

After some issue with serial keys I got it working, been playing on High settings and pushing a solid 30frames, yet to see it dip below 20 at any point. Could probably put it to Ultra but I dislike having my PC sounding like a jet engine as the fans try to cope with it, the game still looks gorgeous on High. 
    As for the combat, I like it, it's very different from the first game and feels like an adventure game in some aspects. Geralt does some seem to prioritize animation over speed but it's not as bad as some games, just need to know you have to roll after you use a sign. 

As for dealing with groups of enemies? Bombs. I searched around in every building for herbs and made about 9 Bombs for the siege, was hella fun blowing up groups of enemies. They've made the item creation easier, I got deep into Alchemy before but it was kind of a pain. Will be sticking with the Alchemy path on my first (hard) play through. I like being unable to drink in combat, preparation before combat is how it should be done, always felt silly running away from someone to drink a potion.

As for the story element I have to say it's one of my favourite first levels around, climbing up the siege tower was really cool. Even though the games fantasy it still felt very Medieval which you don't see that often in games, usually it's just high fantasy.

Spoilers for the end of the siege I guess:

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By emem
    @Seppli said:
    @ashkanhoss29 said:

Has anyone figured out how to deal with groups of enemies? I can't figure this out. In the first Witcher you had a stance that dealt with groups, but that's gone. Overall I'm finding this games combat and controls to be extremely frustrating and unresponsive (as others have stated). I love this game and it's a lot of fun so far. but the combat and controls are really giving me headaches. On another note I have to say this game looks very beautiful, especially the lighting and colors in the different environments.

I'm just popping that 'Lightning Armor' sign, which makes me invulnerable to melee attacks for up to 3 strikes. Downside - no Vigor recovery while it's active. Killing weak targets first with little consideration for danger. As long as the buff's up, you'll have no pushback when getting hit. 3 heavy strikes will take care of a weakling.Really hoping I'll be able to unlock some 'AoE' melee attacks, since swings only seem to hit the targeted foe, which is to my disdain.
    That's pretty much what I'm doing, too. I'm always trying to somehow seperate the enemies from eachother, picking off the range combat guys first and then the enemies without shields. I also "mind control" one of the stronger dudes to get rid of at least 2 enemies. Oh and you can weaken groups of enemies by creating gasbombs.. throwing one of these + igni = big badaboom.

For me the combat in this game is the most demanding in any rpg I've ever played and I love it! It's a bit hard to control Geralt sometimes (I need a new PC), but the only thing I don't like so far is the alchemy part. Maybe I'm just not seeing it.. there is no indicator to tell me how many potions/bombs etc I can create and the materials they show me in the upper right are not the ingredients?! Other than that I've got nothing to complain about.
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Vorbis
    @emem: Each Ingredient has a property to it, sometimes two. The actual item doesn't matter, just the alchemical base which is shown as an icon. Say a potion needs vitriol, as long as you have one item with the blue triangle icon, it will use that ingredient to make the potion. 

Not seen it for myself yet but I heard there's an ability in the Alchemy path that increases items by 50%/100%, so you would be able to make x3 items rather than x1 each time.
    SafetyFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By SafetyFist

I never played the first Witcher, but so far I'm loving this game. I was on the fence about getting it on release and I don't regret it at all. It's a little early to say at the moment considering I'm only in Chapter 1, but this is shaping up to be my favorite game of the year from what I've played so far. It's nice to see a rpg with such a great world and interesting combat that I can really get lost in. It's something I've really been missing from older games. I was surprised at just how fun the combat is. I died quite a bit trying to get a feel for it, but it was never a frustrating death. More of a "Damn I know I can do better, maybe if I try using this..." kind of deal.

As for how I've been playing, I've been doing a lot of running and rolling around in combat. Picking off weaker targets while dodging tougher ones until they're the only thing left standing. I haven't actually parried a lot unless it's just me against someone with a shield. Still need to experiment with a lot of the signs.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By emem
    @Vorbis: That's strange, I thought of that when I saw the icons and selected one ingredient which matched the icon of something I was going to mix, but the number didn't change when it was created.. so I pretty much ruled that out. I guess I must have missed something, thanks for telling me. :)
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Seppli
    @Vorbis said:

...feels like an adventure game in some aspects.

I absolutely adore the 'Witcher Talisman', which is essentially a point 'n click adventure's 'highlight hotspots' function. I love the utility and they even manage for it not to be immersion-breaking.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By Animasta
    @Seppli said:
    @Vorbis said:

...feels like an adventure game in some aspects.

I absolutely adore the 'Witcher Talisman', which is essentially a point 'n click adventure's 'highlight hotspots' function. I love the utility and they even manage for it not to be immersion-breaking.
    wait does that highlight items from enemies too?

MOTHERFUCKER
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Seppli
    @Laketown:

Another complaint squashed? The more you know...

So many frustrations could have been averted, if only the tutorial was more 'in-my-face'.
    picklecannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By picklecannon

Ves' booty is 11/10 stars imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, this game is brilliant.

Combat is awesome once you get used to it; really have to play carefully. Beautiful graphics. Awesome voice work. Tits, ass, and even some vag.

The tutorial is complete shit, though. Strongly recommend reading through your journal.
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By emem
    @Khann said:

Yep, this game is brilliant.
    Combat is awesome once you get used to it; really have to play carefully. Beautiful graphics. Awesome voice work. Tits, ass, and even some vag.

The tutorial is complete shit, though. Strongly recommend reading through your journal.

Agreed, there "is no tutorial", imho. I didn't even know that I can focus on an enemy until I finished the prologue (by reading through the journal), but I realised that I tend to miss a lot of the text popping up on the right side of the screen, so I may have just missed it. Actually it didn't even bother me to play without a real tutorial, to be honest.. but I can see how some people may not like that at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.