Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

How often do you make potions/items?

sk8nob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sk8nob

When I started the game I did what most people do and just looted everything in sight but quickly reached the 250 lb. limit, so to free up space I began to make potions/bombs nonstop.  I got through the whole first game without making anything so this mechanic is new to me.  Is this normal or am I just looting too much (I don't think anyone needs 50 silver ores on them at one time)?

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Thule

I'm playing on hard so yes, I'm making stuff all the time. You really need to use all your potions and other abilities on hard.

And yea, you don't need 50 silver ore in your inventory. I'm starting to think it's just better to leave most crafting loot where it is, until you need it for new equipment. You might also want to clear out your mutagens(don't need take many and you should only use the "greater" ones.) and some of your harvested monster parts. You simply don't need that many and they'll make you quite a bit of money.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Tennmuerti

All the time.
    I always drink potions/oils before going into big fights.
    And bombs are a constant backup if they are required.

Potion/oil materials are not heavy.
    The heaviest stuff besides gear are the gear crafting materials.

Like Thule, i'm thinking of sticking with the policy of only picking up crafting materials when I need to make something, but potion/oil materials (monster parts basically) are ok to carry imo

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Vorbis

Constantly, all my money seems to go on recipes/designs for new potions and traps right now. Got to have an oil on the appropriate weapon and 3 potions up for the big fights. Playing on Hard as Signs, thought about going Alchemy but since I have access to all the recipes anyway it didn't seem worth it.

I carry 20 cloth/leather/twine/timber etc. I don't loot any more than that, it doesn't take up too much room and I always have enough to craft any new designs.
    sk8nob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sk8nob

Awesome, thanks guys.  It's always been a habit of mine to be over-prepared than under-prepared; I just hate when I come across something cool to craft but don't have any materials to make it. 

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Heltom92

I'm playing on normal and I'm at the beginning of Act 2. So far I have no real need to use potions, I'll probably start using them soon though becasue like you I have a ton of alchemy ingredients in my inventory.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Tennmuerti

Starting to take potions less and less now in chapter 2.
    Only need them for tough fights now.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By altairre

Potions/bombs I didn´t use that often until now (beginning of Act) but I crafted a ton of weapons/armor stuff, basically everything that was available an had better stats than my current equipment.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Nardak

I would recommend on stacking traps. Those come in handy for the harder quest based bosses like the endraga queens. If you stack traps on top of each other you can basically whittle down a mobs health to about 20% or so in most cases.

So far I have been using the basic trap but I think I will invest in some of the more advanced versions. On normal difficulty you can avoid using the potions pretty much most of the time. Also I think I saw a developer recommending in one of the videos that it is worthwhile to spec heavily into either the swordmanship or magic. That way you can be more effective than being a jack of all trades.

Though on hard difficulty the use of potions is required.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SlasherMan

I make potions, traps and bombs all the time.They are necessary for most encounters. Still in Chapter 1, though, so I don't know if that will change further on. Playing on Normal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.