Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

How to increase your fps with little or no visual lose

vidiots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By vidiots

For people having bad fps do the following'

-disable ssao
    -disable anti aliasing 
    -put texture memory size to very small (helps most it increased my fps from 30 to 60)

I noticed little to no difference when putting these these settings like so.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

hmmm, i'm going to have to try that.

vidiots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By vidiots
    @Bloodgraiv3 said:

hmmm, i'm going to have to try that.

Texture memory size will cause little pop in

Its like what happens in mass effect they prob set it to low what texture memory does it stream textures faster.

But im on lowest and i notice little texture pop in not much.

It helps fps alot but if your really that nit picky dont disable it if you hated what happened in mass effect.
    ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By ninjalegend

I have a good frame rate at 30-40, but I still see some pop in after a conversation or cut scene. Really good looking at medium settings. I have to try your suggestions, thank you.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Beaudacious

Texture pop, tearing, clipping is probably the most annoying  thing in video games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I would imagine decreasing texture memory size would put increased load on your CPU, so that's worth keeping in mind.

Disabling AA improves framerate, but there is a very clear visual difference.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho

Lowering the resolution normally does the trick for low FPS. You could probably keep minimal a/a on.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By Seppli
    @Khann said:

Disabling AA improves framerate, but there is a very clear visual difference.

Depending on rendering resolution and screen size. AA also tends to make the picture seem more blurry (instead of jagged).

Rending at 1080p+ on a regular size computer screen, AA is always a waste of ressources and frames (ontop of being a matter of taste).
    l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By l4wd0g
    @ryanwho said:
    Lowering the resolution normally does the trick for low FPS. You could probably keep minimal a/a on.
    That's what I did. The game still looks incredible at 30-40 FPS.
    vidiots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vidiots
    @Beaudacious said:
    Texture pop, tearing, clipping is probably the most annoying  thing in video games.
    Not for me must just be you bud. 

There is not screen tearing an clipping when i put these off. 
    Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Vodun

1680 res, all on high, smooth ass frame rates! Gotta love it when your rig magically matches what the game seems to be optimized for!

huelarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By huelarl
    @vidiots said:
    For people having bad fps do the following'

-disable ssao
    -disable anti aliasing 
    -put texture memory size to very small (helps most it increased my fps from 30 to 60)

I noticed little to no difference when putting these these settings like so.

What. This is terrible advice. First of all Screen Space Ambient Occlusion is very important to the visual fidelity, as is Anti-Aliasing. Both do put considerable strain on the GPU but the game looks a lot worse if you turn them off. Also, reducing texture memory size actually HURTS the performance of the game, while having no benefits whatsoever (just put it to the highest your card can handle, with ~1GB of RAM you can put it to max).

The most serious FPS-killer is UberSampling, which I'm quite sure no "normal" machine can handle at a decent frame-rate (it'll generally halve FPS or worse). Other than that everyone with a mid-range PC should be able to play at ~high settings anyway.
    Oh, and V-sync actually eats quite a bit, since there's pretty much no tearing anyway you might consider turning that off. Adjusting LoD distance scaling, numbers of shadowed lights and turning off motion blur can help a bit as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.