Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Is gameplay is this any better that first game

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bcooper21

I have tried to play witcher but cant complete the original witcher because of the combat. its just so boring to me i always get few hours in and stop. Is witcher 2 alot better in this way? I want to play it and witcher 3 possibly.

Not sure why but any other rpg i have been fine with i even finished really old rpg's like Baldur gate 1 and 2 but this feels worse. The story is great but its not worth the troubling gameplay.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

The game-play is A LOT different. Witcher 1 is a little like Baldur's Gate, Witcher 2 combat is closer to Devil May Cry or something.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l33t_haxor: Devil May Cry is a pretty bad comparison, considering if you try to play Witcher 2 even remotely like that you'd be dead in no time, but it's definitely much faster paced and more "action-y" than the first game.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

It's a lot more action and a lot less rhythm-game. It also requires you to make much, much more use of your signs, traps and various buff/debuffs that can be applied to your weapon.

So yes, it's very different, but better's going to be a matter of taste. I personally think it is, just for how much more you have to engage with it.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@bcooper21: Witcher 2 combat is completely different that the first game. The closest analog I've thought of is Dark Souls. Few of the enemies are especially tough, but you aren't either, so it's more about careful hits/spells/bombs/traps, then dodging, rolling, and assessing the fight for your next move, than any kind of button mashing. And don't forget oils and potions that can hugely sway the odds in your favor.

No offense to the duder above, but it's pretty much the opposite of a game like Devil May Cry. If you try and get a bunch of hits off on one enemy, the one next to them will easily take you out.

It's a cool blend of reaction and strategy in real time that I really loved. I didn't hate the weird combat of the first game, but just know that, again, fighting in the sequel is nothing like that.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool thanks i think ill play it then on easy i heard eve normal can be challenger for average gamer.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
    deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bcooper21: How far did you get in the Witcher? It took me a couple of attempts to get into it & while I the combat system is pretty bad throughout the game I finally started to get into it after killing some helldog thing. The Witcher 2 is worlds different, still not the greatest combat though.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bcooper21: How far did you get in the Witcher? It took me a couple of attempts to get into it & while I the combat system is pretty bad throughout the game I finally started to get into it after killing some helldog thing. The Witcher 2 is worlds different, still not the greatest combat though.

Im in swamp area.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'm not a huge fan of either game's combat, but the second game's combat is much more action-focused, as people have said, although as at least one person said, it's more comparable to Dark Souls than a regular ol' character action game. It's much slower paced and relies far more on your ability to be prepared and to handle groups than on your reaction time and twitch-y speed.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

OP, are you playing on console or PC? The PC version has a semi-official mod that rebalances the game and livens up the combat to be more Dark Souls-ish.

I didn't like how the mod stripped out battle xp in favour of giving you more xp when finishing quests; but you might think thats a positive, not a negative.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Brendan

I remember picking up The Witcher 2 and thinking it was the exact same. I'm sure there are differences but I don't remember any.

DeiNile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked The Witcher 1's combat in theory. After I while I found that it wasn't a very pleasant experience. By comparison, The Witcher 2's combat is more free flowing and allow you to do more stuff. It is not as clunky. That being said, I only played a couple of hours of the original.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

It felt a little different, but what drove me nuts is how you had to be at a campfire to drink your mutagens, instead of only creating them at the campfire like the first game. I really hope they change that again in 3 because it screwed me over a few times not being able to buff myself in the middle of a battle.

Mikey1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 2 combat is way better, but still a bit floaty in my opinion. Also, having to use potions beforehand lends itself to some trial and error. Save often.

Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What if Dark Souls had a skill tree, dialog trees, crafting mechanics, a quest journal and a setting that is quite similar to Game of Thrones.

It would be The Witcher 2, that's what.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickhead said:

It felt a little different, but what drove me nuts is how you had to be at a campfire to drink your mutagens, instead of only creating them at the campfire like the first game.

They may have changed that in a patch as I've only played that game pretty recently, but in my PC version, you can create and drink potions anywhere, you just have to be meditating. So that's actually more loose than Witcher 1. Although in the first game, you had a few quick slots to let you drink specific potions during combat, whereas in W2 you can't drink at all in combat, so maybe that's what you're talking about.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent: Correct. I finished the game for the second time tonight, actually.

Combat's a lot more tactical than you'd think, especially on higher difficulties.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@bcooper21: Also download that unofficial official combat patch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.