Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Just finished the game today on hard...my god. So good

LovermanOwens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By LovermanOwens

I just finished the Witcher 2 today on hard and I must say hat this is truly one of the best games I have played all year. Such a good RPG. This easily fits into my top 10 RPG’s of all time. Any ideas out there for other games as good as this one. * please god no one say DA II *

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By matthias2437

Yeah I am playing through this now and it is EASILY on my top 5 games of the year. Also fuck DA II.

But back to the point, the story in this game was so great, kept my attention held the whole game. I am going to assume you have played Dragon Age: Origins, if not it is a fantastic dark fantasy RPG. Just as good as The Witcher 2.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

just other RPG's? god I dunno. Dark Souls should be good, witcher 2 kinda aped Demon's souls combat (though made it much easier and faster)

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Have you played Witcher: EE? I much prefer the first to the second so far, really don't like the more action-focused mechanics. There are not a whole lot of modern CRPGs worth playing unfortunately. You could try games like Risen, the Gothic series, or older 90s games like those on the Infinity Engine.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By amir90

Good to hear other people likes it :D

Xcessive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Xcessive

Not my feelings at all. (SPOILERS!!!!) im up to the dragon boss fight, final i think? Its fucking annoying me, this game has BAD boss fights in terms of combat and hit detection. Not sure i want to go back to this anymore, started really strongly but now it just feels like a chore. Maybe i'm just bad at this game.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By valrog

It's an incredible game. Speaking of other great RPGs, try out Gothic series (Excluding Arcania and Forsaken Gods) and Risen.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Adamsons

What path did you pick? If its Roche i DEMAND you do iorveth! :]

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By armaan8014

@owl_of_minerva said:

Have you played Witcher: EE? I much prefer the first to the second so far

Yeah I dont get it, why does everyone love the 2nd one so much? Witcher 1 is my all time fav game (any genre), and I was actually disappointed by the Witcher 2. It was good, but not THAT good. Or was it just cause I didn't take rhoche's path?

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By themangalist

Gothic 2 is one of my favourites. It was truly spectacular in its time, and frankly i think it should still hold up.

Also known to be hard as shit sometimes.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By owl_of_minerva

@armaan8014: There's a number of things Witcher 2 does worse than its predecessor. Areas are more linear and constrained, probably because the graphical quality is so high it would cause computers to melt if it didn't. Thus it's less satisfying to explore and the world feels more vacant. Tonally the second game is more self-serious and dry political machinations, whereas I preferred the slightly more bizarre and occasionally lulzy narrative of the first and the gothic sensibility. There was a lot more content in Witcher 1. The story choices are handled in more a binary fashion in the sequel, locking out half the content, rather than having all the same content but being able to make meaningful choices throughout the game from three different allegiances. Alchemy was butchered. Although you have to use all of your abilities in Witcher 2, there isn't as much distinctiveness in terms of character build. There's a lot more trash loot to contend with as well.

Some of it is preference, but the rest is just a game of a much smaller and more constrained scope, questionable design decisions, as well as lessening the RPG focus in favour of mediocre to average action mechanics.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.