Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

New Trailer Tempts Me Greatly

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Ok, so let me confess: My computer situation is... not up to par, in terms of gaming. So I was forced to miss out on this game, which I would really really like to play. And now I see this:

And I'm all, fuck yes! But also, how will such a PC-based game port? Did anyone play the 360 version of the first game? How did that translate? I would absolutely love to get my hands on this game, but I'm also wary of getting a significantly lessened experience, graphically or otherwise. I mean, I know we can't really know whether it holds up until it's actually released, but... I dunno. I understand that any 'real' PC person is going to instinctively say go with the original version - which I assume they'll be adding all the new content to eventually, because not to would be dumb. I had been waiting to play this until I got new hardware, lord knows when that'll happen, but now that this is coming along, I'm a bit torn on whether I should still do that or not.

Is anyone else gonna be checking out the console version?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

there was no 360 version of the 1st game, but if your PC isn't the greatest than go ahead and get the 360 version, looks pretty good to me

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By BoG

I'll most likely be buying this game. I've wanted to play it since it was released on PC, but my PC situation is similar to yours. I don't know what my financial situation will be like in a month, but mabe if I sell Mass Effect 3 quickly I can get this one for as cheap as possible.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By FritzDude

There's no console port of the first game, however they made a developer build called 'rise of the white wolf' which didn't see the light of day due to development of The Witcher 2 and lack of resources. But to your concern: The Witcher 2 already plays like a console game and has a really great gamepad support built in so I would not worry. I will definitely check out this port - And I already own the game on the PC - and from the trailers, the showcases and written hands-on previews it seems like a good port too.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Adamsons

Just get the console version, all you will be missing out on are the visuals. 

Awesome game though, the new content makes me want to play it again and I've already beaten it 3 times.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CL60

I still haven't beaten the PC version. I've had for around 6 months, but they don't seem to b e fixing the steam overlay. And whenever somebody messages me, or I get invited to an event, the game minimizes. I missed 2 cutscenes because of it, and it wont let me play the game in offline mode.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@FritzDude: Hadn't they rereleased the first one at some point? I swear I heard about that somewhere, must've just assumed they ported at the same time.

@CL60 said:

I still haven't beaten the PC version. I've had for around 6 months, but they don't seem to b e fixing the steam overlay. And whenever somebody messages me, or I get invited to an event, the game minimizes. I missed 2 cutscenes because of it, and it wont let me play the game in offline mode.

That sucks dude. Did you get the steam version, or do all PC versions of the game require steam support?

And thanks fer the advice guys. Now if I can just find a way to not have anyone walk in on me during the sexytime scenes...

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

Honestly dude, I played a lot of Witcher 2 using a controller so I think it'll, in some ways, be even better on Xbox. Obviously the visuals will take a hit, but the game should still look and run great, and is totally worth playing. The new stuff looks cool too. Definitely recommend it and don't worry about missing out on anything. I'm gonna buy the 360 version too just to see the new stuff and play this game again cause man it's good.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CL60

@MarkWahlberg said:

@FritzDude: Hadn't they rereleased the first one at some point? I swear I heard about that somewhere, must've just assumed they ported at the same time.

@CL60 said:

That sucks dude. Did you get the steam version, or do all PC versions of the game require steam support?

And thanks fer the advice guys. Now if I can just find a way to not have anyone walk in on me during the sexytime scenes...

Yeah. Got the Steam version. The steam version is the only version of the game that can't have the steam overlay.

@James_Giant_Peach said:

Honestly dude, I played a lot of Witcher 2 using a controller so I think it'll, in some ways, be even better on Xbox. Obviously the visuals will take a hit, but the game should still look and run great, and is totally worth playing. The new stuff looks cool too. Definitely recommend it and don't worry about missing out on anything. I'm gonna buy the 360 version too just to see the new stuff and play this game again cause man it's good.

The PC version is getting a free update with all the 360 stuff.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FritzDude

@MarkWahlberg: They rereleased the first game to the same platform, PC, as the title: "Enhanced Edition", but also had development on the rerelease called "Rise of the White Wolf" to the console (Xbox 360) as a port. But due to time (The Witcher 2) and resources it didn't make it. They instead skipped it and started working with the Witcher 2 port when the time was right. For now it does not exist, other than the pre-alpha-developer build in CD Projekt's offices, which could very well be under consideration and/or development for all we know, though it's highly unlikely as of now. But again, who knows.

I myself would love to see a package of both games on the console, even if I own both games already. To tell you the truth that was what I was thinking when they had their press-uncover-party-thingy last year when they first announced it.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By fjordson

Footage of the 360 version has already gotten out before and it looks fantastic.

CDP seems like a pretty genuine developer and Witcher 2 was already very successful on PC, I don't think they'd bother to put in the time and effort into a 360 port if they didn't think it would turn out well. Hell, they scrapped the project that was Witcher 1 on consoles because it wasn't going so hot.

I struggled through the first game at about 20 FPS on a shitty laptop, but I absolutely loved it. So hyped to play this next month.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic

It's amazing how I've somehow grown to passionately hate this game after falling madly in love with the universe playing the first game.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Animasta

@AhmadMetallic: and you are pretty much the only one who feels this way so...

EvilKatarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By EvilKatarn

Loved it on the PC and considered buying the Dark Edition for Xbox too. Those are sold out though, so that sucks.

I highly recommend you get that game. Best game of last year along with Dark Souls.

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Liber

@AhmadMetallic said:

It's amazing how I've somehow grown to passionately hate this game after falling madly in love with the universe playing the first game.

YOU SHUT UP !

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Animasta said:

@AhmadMetallic: and you are pretty much the only one who feels this way so...

Yeah It's not that I wanna hate on it or think it does anything wrong, I've just had the worst experience with it and, that in addition to how it is compared to the original, seriously all I sense when I see it or launch it trying to finish my year old playthrough (and quit after 15 minutes) is just hate. I really hate this game and I wish I didn't. 

@Liber said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

YOU SHUT UP !

You're gonna help me beat this fucking game liber, I'm gonna send you my save and you take it from there. GET IT OFF MY HARD DRIVE!
    Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Dallas_Raines

I own the PC version, but I'll probably end renting the 360 version to see the new content. I just can't play through the game at 15fps again.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Jimbo

Actually, the PC version of The Witcher 2 already felt like they had one eye on console development anyway, so I'm sure it'll be fine on 360 if that's the way you wanna go.  It won't look as good obviously, but I'd expect it to play fine.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By amir90

@CL60 said:

Can't you just disable steam overlay?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Animasta

@Dallas_Raines said:

I own the PC version, but I'll probably end renting the 360 version to see the new content. I just can't play through the game at 15fps again.

PC version will be getting the new content too, just sayin

wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By wh1terav3n

I'm planning on picking up the PC version as soon as I finish the first game (I just upgraded my computer), but if I hadn't upgraded, I'd be getting the 360 version. It still looks like a really fun game, definitely pick it up there if you're PC isn't up to snuff.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By landon

Trailer is badass. I really want to buy the Dark Edition.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Binman88

@amir90 said:

@CL60 said:

Can't you just disable steam overlay?

Yeah he should be able to. Right click the game in Steam, go to Properties and untick the "Enable Steam Community In-Game" checkbox.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@Animasta said:

@Dallas_Raines said:

PC version will be getting the new content too, just sayin

I'm saying I'd rather play it again on the 360, then suffer abominable frame rates on my PC.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@AhmadMetallic said:

Yeah It's not that I wanna hate on it or think it does anything wrong, I've just had the worst experience with it and, that in addition to how it is compared to the original, seriously all I sense when I see it or launch it trying to finish my year old playthrough (and quit after 15 minutes) is just hate. I really hate this game and I wish I didn't.

Worst experience from a technical or a narrative perspective? Just curious.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @MarkWahlberg said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Yeah It's not that I wanna hate on it or think it does anything wrong, I've just had the worst experience with it and, that in addition to how it is compared to the original, seriously all I sense when I see it or launch it trying to finish my year old playthrough (and quit after 15 minutes) is just hate. I really hate this game and I wish I didn't.

Worst experience from a technical or a narrative perspective? Just curious.

No no the game is superb technically. It's more of a narrative perspective, the way the NPCs are handled, the level design, the new characters, how I was busy with other games and kept ditching Witcher 2 every now and then and continuing afterwards from where I had gotten.. 
    It's just a mess of an experience, especially when I compare the game to Witcher 1 which had much better witcher elements.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.