PC Format UK reviews incomplete preview build of The Witcher 2.

• 86 results
#51 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Metal_Mills: Aw, man, screencap their message and post it here!
#52 Posted by Metal_Mills (2997 posts) -
Here you go.
#53 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Metal_Mills said:
Here you go.

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha

hahah
#54 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

I am surprised they didn't review the 2.0 update back then, being Future Publishing and all.

#55 Posted by Aranel (25 posts) -

Brilliant XD

They would get laughed out of court.

#56 Posted by Management (596 posts) -

This is funny and tragic at the same time.

#57 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

@Metal_Mills: wow seriously?

#58 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Hahahahahahaha, oh man.

#59 Posted by SpacePenguin (478 posts) -

Wow, that is insane. haha

#60 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

lol, just seen the reply. What is it with this site and Future Publishing...

Shabby. Do us all a favour mate, do the norm, either do previews or proper reviews taken from final build games, don't give us some in between shit. This kind of thing completely diverts from the high standards of journalism we have in Britain today, lol

#61 Posted by CountMacula (235 posts) -

This situation's pretty funny, I would have even come across this thread or its original topic had he not necro'd it.

Anyway the guy's actions seem a bit weird, wouldn't you contact a mod and ask them to remove the thread instead of trying to get the original poster to alter it? And how do we even know he is who he says he is?

#62 Posted by philiwaniuk (3 posts) -

@Metal_Mills: You're doing neither. You're accusing me of reviewing preview code, somehow faking an exclusive, and now of corruption too, and that's libel and defamation of character in both UK and U.S. law. What's more, you're doing that with complete conviction and without a shred of evidence, and actually ignoring a wealth of evidence to the contrary.

You're doing it without even having read the review in question when you started this thread.

In short, you're acting pretty stupid.

#63 Posted by Legend (2659 posts) -
@philiwaniuk Welcome to the Internet where anonymous people say whatever the fuck they want. I think you should let this go before someone post a link to this thread on 4chan or some other community where people aren't as "nice" as the Giant Bomb community.. then you'll have a real problem on your hands.
#64 Edited by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@philiwaniuk: I sincerely hope you're just a troll account because I can't imagine any actual journalist going to these lengths about something said on the internet. If you're not a troll, lighten the fuck up man.
#65 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Let it be known to those it may concern, the Giant Bomb moderation team is not your personal enforcer to sweep things under the rug when it suits you. Users are free to create content about whatever they want or to state opinions about whatever they want provided it abides by our terms of service/conditions. As far as I'm concerned this topic doesn't breach those in any way, shape or form.

#66 Edited by Grissefar (2842 posts) -
@philiwaniuk said:

@Metal_Mills: You're doing neither. You're accusing me of reviewing preview code, somehow faking an exclusive, and now of corruption too, and that's libel and defamation of character in both UK and U.S. law. What's more, you're doing that with complete conviction and without a shred of evidence, and actually ignoring a wealth of evidence to the contrary.

You're doing it without even having read the review in question when you started this thread.

Whether you are a troll or not, this situation is pretty funny and I don't know that you are handling it very well.

@philiwaniuk said:

philiwaniuk wrote to Hamz

Hi, I'd like you to delete a thread please: http://www.giantbomb.com/the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings/61-28178/pc-format-uk-reviews-incomplete-preview-build-of-the-witcher-2/35-493429/ the original post by Metal_Mills stated that my Witcher 2 review for PC Format UK was based on preview code, and that we falsely claimed exclusivity for the review. This is categorically incorrect on all counts. When I contacted the user, presented them with the facts and asked politely for him to edit the original post to display that his accusations were wrong, I was met with further accusations. As I've informed Metal_Mills, his statements are extremely damaging to PC Format's reputation, and my own. His edited post makes yet more damaging and completely fabricated accusations of corruption, and I think it's appropriate that the thread is deleted or edited to show the falsehood of these statements, and the user Metal_Mills banned. I've achieved nothing by communicating with him directly, so now it's up to you. Thanks for reading, Phil
See Wall to Wall

24 minutes ago

#67 Posted by FLStyle (4694 posts) -

I love this website.

#68 Posted by Alpha1 (254 posts) -

@FLStyle said:

I love this website.
#69 Posted by Aranel (25 posts) -

@FLStyle said:

I love this website.

Same XD

#70 Posted by biospank (657 posts) -
@philiwaniuk: Good trollin, bruv.
#71 Posted by themangalist (1735 posts) -

It actually got funny when the mods came in.

@Alpha1 said:

@FLStyle said:

I love this website.
#72 Edited by CountMacula (235 posts) -

@Hamz said:

Let it be known to those it may concern, the Giant Bomb moderation team is not your personal enforcer to sweep things under the rug when it suits you. Users are free to create content about whatever they want or to state opinions about whatever they want provided it abides by our terms of service/conditions. As far as I'm concerned this topic doesn't breach those in any way, shape or form.

And this is exactly why I love this site.

Also Metal_Mills has read the review as stated on the first page of this thread (quoted below). Nice research there.

@Metal_Mills said:

@blueduck said:

" @Metal_Mills said:

While I haven't read it
Oh. "
Atually, I have now thanks to Marz. Once, right at the end it points out they played a non-final version. Even saying that the fact they reviewed and scored a game based on an unfinished code of half the game is a joke. It's like watching a movie that hasn't reached final edit, watching an hour of it and giving it 4 stars.

I really hope that this guy is a troll, the alterative lends itself to a very depressing view of journalism in the UK.

#73 Posted by Tennmuerti (8100 posts) -
@philiwaniuk

Regardless of who is wrong or right (and I'm even inclined to believe that you are in fact mostly in the right purely in factual terms relating to the review/preview)
You have so far:
  • resurected an old thread that no one cared about for weeks thus giving it way more attention and hits then it would have ever gotten
  • asked to delete a forum post/thread purely because it's information may be wrong (and no you did not in fact ask nicely, your first post came off as formal and forceful, not as a friendly request)
  • shown that you as a gaming reviewer have way way too much free time on your hands to pursue random internet comments made not even on your own publication/website
  • used a laughable lawyer scare tactic on intenet forums, this pretty much put a nail into any goodwill you might have had to this point
The only conclusions that can be drawn from the above is that you either A. new to this whole internet thing OR  B. clueless
And that you are, at least in my eyes, quite pathetic. (don't be a douche)
Don't forget this is with me even actually believing your side of the story. Go figure.

Be a man and let this go.
Otherwise like other posters have said this might get out of the small GB community and into the actual big cruel internet boards, where people won't be so nice about seeing bullying tactics. You're just making it snowball.
#74 Posted by Metal_Mills (2997 posts) -
@philiwaniuk said:

I never said you faked an exclusive. Another magazine had the world exclusive and your explanation was you had the UK exclusive. My conclusion was you think the UK is separate from the world. I'm not getting anything out of it like you think. I just find it funny a thread 6 months old is bumped by you demanding it be taken down then weeks later I get a PM threatening legal action over a forum post that was originally made on another forum. And then try and get me banned when I was one originally telling you to speak to a mod if you have issues with it? Fuck off. What a joke. This thread has gotten WAY more attention since you came into it. 

Do you even realize what job you have? Do you realize how many people have been told off for poor or paid reviews? Umm, like all of them. Go over to NeoGAF you'll find a huge thread where people are saying the first Batman review was a paid review and tearing him a new one for not finishing it. But unlike you, he isn't wanting to sue the thread creator.  He told them to go to hell and they laughed at him. Imagine what they'd say if he wanted to sue them all? Hell, look at what people say about the Dragon Age 2 review over at The Escapist. And yes, that screams "we got paid to write this" even more than anything I've accused you of. 

I have my opinions and I posted them here. Yes, I do think there was some off about both Witcher 2 and Dragon Age 2 reviews. I might be wrong, I might not but I've read a lot of reviews over a lot of years. I'm gonna voice my opinion because I live in a country with free speech.  And yes, I read the review. 

@Hamz said:

<3
#75 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

This is absolutely ludicrous. What kind of pathetic reviewer can't stand a random dude's opinion and instead pursues him to a website completely unrelated to their own and threatens with legal action? Way to stay classy, Phil.

#76 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

lol, I totally forgot about this thread, really.

#77 Posted by benpicko (2008 posts) -

Oh god, this is hilarious.

#78 Edited by falling_fast (2222 posts) -

bumping a month old thread for no reason. nice.

#79 Posted by Aranel (25 posts) -

Well it's always good for a laugh.

#80 Posted by Jharp (4 posts) -

I may be late, but I approve of this thread.

#81 Posted by TheHT (11245 posts) -

How did I miss this?! Amazing.

#82 Posted by YOU_DIED (703 posts) -

I hate playing necromancer, but god damn this is gold

#83 Posted by BlackLagoon (1429 posts) -

I remember reading PC Format during the 90s. One of their most touted values was never reviewing games until they had a finished copy. How things change.

#84 Posted by RazielCuts (2954 posts) -

This and the Rob Florence/Lauren Wainwright debacle is making the UK look like dicks.

#85 Edited by wilsouk (38 posts) -

@RazielCuts said:

This and the Rob Florence/Lauren Wainwright debacle is making the UK look like dicks.

Erm, two writers out of 62 million people?

My real question is, how do we know he reviewed incomplete code?

While striving to improve gaming journalism with self-refection is brilliant, things have quickly turned into lynching and a mob mentality.

#86 Posted by RazielCuts (2954 posts) -

@wilsouk said:

@RazielCuts said:

Erm, two writers out of 62 million people?

My real question is, how do we know he reviewed incomplete code?

While striving to improve gaming journalism with self-refection is brilliant, things have quickly turned into lynching and a mob mentality.

Before we get into a pissing match, I'm from the UK, I would of said it's making 'us' look bad but that would of felt cringe as I'm a games writer writer so yeah..I feel there's a weird sentiment within the US games press how its okay to call out the Euro games press as a whole as unprofessional, mentioned numerously on GiantBomb and was pointing out that shit like this doesn't really help.

I'd have to agree with we don't really know if it was or wasn't incomplete code, I haven't read the review but being flown out to be shown a near final build seems common place. A lot of games have review events, Call of Duty every year being one of the biggest, just the way he handled this thread threatening lawful action is just like what sparked all this hubbub over this Eurogamer/MCV mess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.