Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Plenty of Reasons to Love The Witcher 2, but what do you HATE?

• 80 results
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Seppli

btw. assigning each magic sign to a hotkey does wonders. I barely ever go into the LEFT-CTRL quick-menu anymore (just for switching between dagger/bombs/traps and meditation).

Replaced 3,4,5 with magic, as well as extra mouse buttons. Who needs 'cycling through magic', if you can have straightforward hotkeys?

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By Franstone
    @OracleXIII: Dunno if you found the 4th yet but they are all in that same area south of the town by that river.
    If you bring up the full map you can see all the angled lines drawn in that area, they seem to all be around there.
    korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#53  Edited By korolev

It's a great game - the only issue I have is how cluttered the main screen is - it's just filled with icons and bars and it takes getting used to. Also, Normal difficulty is a pain, but Easy is WAAAAYYY too easy. There should have been a middle-ground between the two.

Other than that - The Witcher 2 is the best 40 dollars I have ever spent. Such a good game... and it was so cheap. Sadly the deal has ended for those of us in Australia, so you can't get it for the cheap price. Still, it's worth the 60 it costs now. 

It's by no means a perfect game - it lags unexpectedly in some places. The voice acting for Gerald isn't terribly good and it is NOT a very user friendly game - the "tutorial" section is a joke. But it is epic, it is huge, and it's fun.

It's just that the field of view is far, far, far too cluttered. 
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Seppli said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Seppli: @rawr: @MaFoLu:

FYI there is a talent that will give your sword attacks 100% AoE dammage, once you get that, groups become much easier.
    The signs also have AoE effects at 2nd level talents.
    Not to mention the AoE grenades that anyone can use with stun and blind efffects.

@Seppli

Unlike DA2 hard difficulty in Witcher2 is meant to be hardIf you are disliking the combat and are having to cheese fights, drop it down to normal.
    I know that, I'm just not there yet levelwise to specc for it, hence I can't talk about the 'AoE Group Melee Talent' effects on how combat feels. Guess you didn't play DA2 on Nightmare, because its definitely harder than the Witcher 2 will ever be (at least on Hard, not even going to consider Insane).It's a fact combat 'feels' like shit, when you visibly hit something but don't, because it ain't your 'target' which the game's designated automatically (often poorly) or you've backed a foe against a wall and he 'diceroll' evades your blows, while he clearly couldn't. Hoping that most of my complaints will go away once I've got the AoE Melee talent (if so, it's silly for it to be a talent in the first place).I love the Witcher 2 as much as the next guy, but combat is a miss. If you want to defend its poor melee combat mechanics design, be my guest. Your arguments certainly didn't sway my opinion on the topic.
    I played through DA2 on hard, and it was an auto attack snooze fest.
    Compared to that Witcher 2 hard is way harder.
    Also like you said Witcher 2 also has an insanity option that also has an increased difficulty as well and since you are not playing on that, we can't really say how will that compare to nightmare DA2.

Can't say i noticed any dicerolls like you mention. Some foes are agile, so they dodge a lot regardless, some block a lot. And even someone who is cornered can still do those things, why shouldn't they?
    Grenades are not a talent and anyone can use them. They all do AoE dammage and at least 2 stun/blind enemies.
    The AoE signs you can get on your 2nd/3rd level up in chapter 1.

If your big complaint is that "you hit what you hit" get the AoE mele tallent asap :)
    (ok just read further and saw that you did) Good luck!

@Seppli said:
    btw. assigning each magic sign to a hotkey does wonders. I barely ever go into the LEFT-CTRL quick-menu anymore (just for switching between dagger/bombs/traps and meditation).Replaced 3,4,5 with magic, as well as extra mouse buttons. Who needs 'cycling through magic', if you can have straightforward hotkeys?
    Good tip, thanks.
    BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By BlackHeronBlue
    @Franstone: got them, thanks. :)

One thing tho. The guide that comes with the game says they're somewhere completely different. WHY?
    BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By BlackHeronBlue
    @Korolev said:
    It's a great game - the only issue I have is how cluttered the main screen is - it's just filled with icons and bars and it takes getting used to. Also, Normal difficulty is a pain, but Easy is WAAAAYYY too easy. There should have been a middle-ground between the two.

I agree there gap between these two difficulties is too big. Normal is too hard to be considered normal and easy is too easy. I don't even want to find out what hard is like. There definitely should be a medium.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @OracleXIII said:
    @Korolev said:

I agree there gap between these two difficulties is too big. Normal is too hard to be considered normal and easy is too easy. I don't even want to find out what hard is like. There definitely should be a medium.
    It just forces you to learn how things work a bit.
    After you get into the flow of combat it becomes much easier on normal.
    BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By BlackHeronBlue
    @Tennmuerti: Well I am trying it on normal because easy is just too easy. But I do die a lot.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Seppli
    @Tennmuerti:
    erm... Insanity difficulty in Witcher 2 renders your save files useless after dying. It's acutally 'Insane', hence I'm not even considering it as legit. You cannot compare playing DA2 on Hard with playing it on Nightmare. Alone the lack of Friendly Fire made you play an entirely different and waaay easier game. Go and play DA2 on Nightmare and come again about 'easy cheesefest'. Every step and attack has to be planned carefully and executed perfectly. My 2hand warrior 'friendly fire' one-shotted everybody in the group with Scythe and such. Some even with simple auto-attack AoE. Once, I actually 'exploded' my entire group with a cocky Whirlwind by accident. Got carried away.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By Scooper

I like the combat. I feels challenging. In the first game all group combat was a total joke. You'd just dive in the middle, spam fire and group sword and just demolish everyone. This one, a group of 5 Nekkers or Drowners can be terrifying, it forces me to use all my signs, many types of bombs and traps and it makes me feel more like a Witcher who isn't meant to be a heavy dude jumping into the fray, but a quick and agile guy who uses leather armor and many potions and gadgets to win.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Seppli: Insanity also makes the game harder , it's not just the 1 life limitation.
    Also you can get around the 1 life limit by storing old saves in another directory.
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By FritzDude

I hate that i can't play this game because of my outdated PC.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#63  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @TekZero said:
    I hate not having a computer powerful enough to run it.
    I don't. 

If i had said powerful computer, i'd be blowing money on LA Noire and Witcher 2 now, whereas i'm only buying LA Noire and keeping W2 for later
    if i had the powerful computer, i'd be playing like others here and suffering from buggy hitboxes and shit.. whereas when i buy it in a few months, it'll be patched/enhanced and i'll never have to go through the current shittiness which'll leave a bad taste of the game in my mouth.

i'm glad i can't currently run it, and that i'll be able to in just a few months ^^
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By vitor

I hate the inability to compare items you have equipped with shop inventory.

Surely that issue was ironed out of RPGs years ago? Or am I just unable to find the correct tab as the gamepad control for menus is horrendous?
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @TekZero said:
    I don't. 

If i had said powerful computer, i'd be blowing money on LA Noire and Witcher 2 now, whereas i'm only buying LA Noire and keeping W2 for later
    if i had the powerful computer, i'd be playing like others here and suffering from buggy hitboxes and shit.. whereas when i buy it in a few months, it'll be patched/enhanced and i'll never have to go through the current shittiness which'll leave a bad taste of the game in my mouth.

i'm glad i can't currently run it, and that i'll be able to in just a few months ^^
    Keep justifiying it to yourself mate.
    Whatever helps you sleep better at night knowing you aren't playing this awesome game :D
    lololololol
    JK

(PS: also hitboxes aren't buggy, Seppil is just pissed off at some game mechanics) plus there is no shittiness really
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Seppli
    @Tennmuerti said:
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @TekZero said:
    I don't. 

Keep justifiying it to yourself mate.Whatever helps you sleep better at night knowing you aren't playing this awesome game :DlolololololJK(PS: also hitboxes aren't buggy, Seppil is just pissed off at some game mechanics) plus there is no shittiness really
    Agreed. The game's in stellar condition. Didn't run into any bugs thus far. As I've got pretty much the perfect system for the game (low highend 64bit first generation DX11 rig), I've not got any technical issues either. While I'm enamored with the game overall, I'm not looking past its flaws as they present themselves to me. I just don't like some of the early 'crippling' mechanics (which can be allivated by talents). Flaws by design, not by bugs.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#67  Edited By Marz
    @OracleXIII said:
    The only thing that's been bothering me so far is that I can't find the last nekker nest in act 1. Three by the river, last one nowhere to be found.
    lol i had this problem too ><   I finally found it when i was doing the Endrega quest.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Seppli
    @OnboardGrphx said:

So basically you want another action game and not an RPG. We get 500,000,000,000 action games a year and only a tiny handful of RPG's, Im glad its a diceroll.

You don't quite get the issue. I've got no problem with RNG (random numbers generator) and other diceroll mechanics privy to RPGs. I've got a problem with design and balancing crippling the player's melee gameplay in favor of handing out 'basic functionality' via character progression. Like disabling hitboxes for all but the main target, lacking the appropriate talent; an issue which is more prevalent thanks to an unreliable auto-targeting system which can't cope with larger groups of enemies.

Blindly defending mechanics and balancing, which do both gameplay and 'RPG immersion' no favors... stop kidding yourself.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Seppli said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @TekZero said:
    I don't. 

Keep justifiying it to yourself mate.Whatever helps you sleep better at night knowing you aren't playing this awesome game :DlolololololJK(PS: also hitboxes aren't buggy, Seppil is just pissed off at some game mechanics) plus there is no shittiness really
    Agreed. The game's in stellar condition. Didn't run into any bugs thus far. As I've got pretty much the perfect system for the game (low highend 64bit first generation DX11 rig), I've not got any technical issues either. While I'm enamored with the game overall, I'm not looking past its flaws as they present themselves to me. I just don't like some of the early 'crippling' mechanics (which can be allivated by talents). Flaws by design, not by bugs.
    Hey guys, that's great to know :) it's not like i want the game to be bad
    now that i've learned that it's not actually broken, i hate that i don't have a PC that can run it (yet) roflolz !

@CL60 said: 

I hate how I get 5 FPS. on Low, medium, and high.

must be a blast
    thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By thornie_delete
    @Stephen_Von_Cloud: The optimization is bad, but I'm hopeful this will get worked out in an update pretty soon.  I just hope I don't finish the game before then.  

I'm running the game on Ultra w/o ubersampling, with a GTX580, i5 2500k, 8gb Ram.  I get about 30-40 FPS in combat and really detailed environments, and 55-60 when I'm in caves and houses.  I know it could be worse, but I'd much prefer a stable frame rate through out.  I switched to High for an hour or so at one point, and didn't really notice any major gains in FPS, so I switched back to Ultra.
    BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

Ok, I'm gonna admit that the more I play the more I hate how ridiculous the difference between easy and normal is. There needs to be a middle ground.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@thornie said:
    @Stephen_Von_Cloud: The optimization is bad, but I'm hopeful this will get worked out in an update pretty soon.  I just hope I don't finish the game before then.  

I'm running the game on Ultra w/o ubersampling, with a GTX580, i5 2500k, 8gb Ram.  I get about 30-40 FPS in combat and really detailed environments, and 55-60 when I'm in caves and houses.  I know it could be worse, but I'd much prefer a stable frame rate through out.  I switched to High for an hour or so at one point, and didn't really notice any major gains in FPS, so I switched back to Ultra.
    The big problem for me now is that suddenly the game performance is terrible.  I've noticed what you have (interiors run better than the larger outdoor areas... that makes sense) but the Epilogue ran pretty damn well at decent settings on my PC but now that I am in the first village it runs terrible, slideshow levels.  I've lowered resolution and eliminated a variety of the more demanding effects and it does not run acceptably.  I would understand a lot more if the game had never ran well, but as I said it did run quite well in the epilogue.

Ugh.  Looking like I will need to finally update my graphics card, which is expected as I have an old model.  I just don't understand why the game ran well before and does not run well now.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Seppli

Now having more experience with the AoE melee talent, it's better, but thanks to somewhat context sensitive attacks (depending on distance and angle and whatnot) and the faulty targeting system, it still doesn't allow for the reactive precision and control I expect. Instead of being in full control of every swing, it's more like riding a barely broken-in horse without saddle. It goes in the general direction I want to, but often bucks or just doesn't do exactly what I want and need it to do.

The Witcher 2's melee combat mechanics are its achilles heel. It's close to 'perfection', except for that one beefy flaw (all the other flaws are rather minute).

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#74  Edited By granderojo

I hate that no matter what I do I can't register my copy.

It's fucking bullshit, I can't get a patch or collect my preorder.

From looking at these comments, there are hundreds of people in my boat.

Broken ass registration servers. 
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#75  Edited By raiz265

Nothing I really hated about the game, but all the cities were a bit meh.

I'd have liked one "real" city in the game, doesn't even has to be as big as Vizima was in the first game but... The first town was a muddy shithole with some dirty shacks, the second one was a woen out dwarven town (or a human military camp?) and the third one is a 20minute stay in an old ruin. :|

Still loved the game tho
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By valrog

Journal being written in third person bothers me a little.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By NoXious

Parry. My best form of defense is the Sign and/or Dodging. 
    They should have given parry it's own kind of mechanism. Now I don't parry because I want to keep the Vigor for Signs.
    Plus you have to stand still, worst thing to do - against virtually anything - in Witcher 2 is standing still.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @valrog said:
    Journal being written in third person bothers me a little.
    It's written by Geralt's friend Dandelion.

@NoXious said:
    Parry. My best form of defense is the Sign and/or Dodging. They should have given parry it's own kind of mechanism. Now I don't parry because I want to keep the Vigor for Signs.Plus you have to stand still, worst thing to do - against virtually anything - in Witcher 2 is standing still.
    Parry does not take Vigor, only blocking does. If you parry before they connect Vigor is not wasted.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By valrog
    @Tennmuerti: Oh, didn't know that. Then again, I'm still in the Prologue. I didn't think that they would explain the change. Well, that changes everything then. Still, I'm going to miss Geralt's witty remarks.
    TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By TheChaos

Not being able to drink potions on the fly. 
    Surprise boss fights fuck me up for this very reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.