Roche's false identification in Chapter 1

#1 Posted by xyzygy (9867 posts) -

When you first get into Flotsam, Roche identifies himself as Emhyr var Emereis to the guard who asks us our names. I'm assuming this is done to NOT attract attention to himself, after all he is the leader of the Blue Stripes... but I don't understand how the guard believed that because Emereis is actually the Emperor of Nilfgaard! And not only that, Roche says he's a spice merchant?

WTF? I'm only picking up on this now. If anything that would cause more commotion - the fucking Emperor of Nilfgaard in Flotsam.

#2 Posted by MikkaQ (10262 posts) -

I think it's stranger that he wasn't immediately recognized as the leader of the Blue Stripes. That's got to mean something among the guards of the land.

#3 Posted by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

@rebgav said:

I think it's just a meta joke for the player's benefit. Though, realistically, why would anyone in a backwater town like Flotsam know the real name of the Emperor of Nilfgaard? I doubt that the guards are familiar with all the names of the local Monarchs, nevermind a foreign one.

Or also Roche being a bit of a dick to a dull guard, seems in character.

#4 Edited by Ghostiet (5208 posts) -

It's basically a little nod to the fans. Also, it showcases very well what The Witcher often portrays - that simple folk are what they are, fucking simple. They don't have any sort of primeval, natural wisdom, they are idiots. I mean, that same dude suggests visiting the whorehouse after Triss politely asks about help.

#5 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

roche is the blue flame dancing on the barrows of the elves obviously.

#6 Posted by Marz (5641 posts) -

normal folks probably don't know the emperor by any other name than...     Emperor   :P

#7 Posted by TheGamerFix (201 posts) -

POON HILL!!!!!!

#8 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@xyzygy said:

When you first get into Flotsam, Roche identifies himself as Emhyr var Emereis to the guard who asks us our names. I'm assuming this is done to NOT attract attention to himself, after all he is the leader of the Blue Stripes... but I don't understand how the guard believed that because Emereis is actually the Emperor of Nilfgaard! And not only that, Roche says he's a spice merchant?

WTF? I'm only picking up on this now. If anything that would cause more commotion - the fucking Emperor of Nilfgaard in Flotsam.

Because the guard is stupid? 
#9 Edited by KevinK (198 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

If a police officer asked me who I was and I introduced myself as Elizabeth Windsor (let's ignore the fact that I'm a man and not a woman), would he immediately know that Elizabeth Windsor is the Queen of England?

#10 Posted by kyrieee (379 posts) -

He's mocking the guard

#11 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -

@KevinK: @KevinK said:

@xyzygy said:

If a police officer asked me who I was and I introduced myself as Elizabeth Windsor (let's ignore the fact that I'm a man and not a woman), would he immediately know that Elizabeth Windsor is the Queen of England?

Perfect analogy. it all makes sense.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.