Should i play W1 before W2?

#1 Posted by Sucabub (4 posts) -

Hello all. 

I'm new to The Witcher universe and haven't played the first iteration. I enjoy RPG's, especially the story element. I want to know if it's recommended to play the first one before the second one? If i can get by without doing so, or maybe just read the wiki entry of the summary of the events in Witcher 1 to catch up, then i don't mind. But if i'll be clueless about what's happening in Witcher 2 then it'll probably ruin my experience with the game. 

Thanks!

#2 Posted by Management (596 posts) -

Yes

#3 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

Yeah, play it.

#4 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

You can get by without doing so, but I'd recommend playing it anyway. It'll make it easier to understand who some of the characters are, but honestly, even I was confused a bit in 2 since they were throwing all kinds of references that you probably couldn't get without reading the books.

If you can handle a bit of jank in a game, then absolutely, play the first.

#5 Posted by FritzDude (2251 posts) -

You don't have to, but i highly recommend the first Witcher. It's good. The only thing you might be confused about if you don't play the first game is the characters really.

#6 Posted by faunt (29 posts) -
@SlasherMan said:
You can get by without doing so, but I'd recommend playing it anyway. It'll make it easier to understand who some of the characters are, but honestly, even I was confused a bit in 2 since they were throwing all kinds of references that you probably couldn't get without reading the books.  If you can handle a bit of jank in a game, then absolutely, play the first.
Books are massive, even though I did read them some time ago I couldn't recognize most of the characters, places and things while playing W2. Still helps tho and books are fine, so I surely recommend them. 
#7 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

you dont have to, no. you should, because its a good game, but you dont have to. Something that is a huge deal in W2 is abrely mentioned in W1 (in fact, its a side quest you can miss), and unless you really want to see his previous dealings with Triss, there is nothing important to take from W1 (that matters in relation to playing W2 that is)

#8 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

You should.

#9 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3500 posts) -

@Sucabub: I did, but it took about 3 weeks for me. Steam clocked me at 44 hours. If you do less side quests, you could shave that down probably as much as 10 hours. Anyways, I recommend it because a lot of characters from 1 are in the sequel. It's a well developed universe and The Witcher 2 doesn't reintroduce characters so much as it assumes you already know them. The first game is also worth playing by its own merits. Just know the Outskirts section of the game (early in the game) was my least favorite section but it picks up after that.

#10 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -

You should play it because it's an incredible game, but you don't need to play it to enjoy TW2.

I just got done with Witcher 2, and it's another great game (not quite as tight or focussed as the first, but more 'epic'). I will say that parts of TW2 didn't really make sense considering how I played the first one, and also that the game doesn't really care about introducing established characters and events to you (presumably a lot of these are from the books, because I didn't recognise them from the first game). It just sorta assumes you'll eventually pick up on what the characters are discussing, which you will, but you do need to pay attention. It's probably not a game you'd want to put down for a while and then come back to.

#11 Posted by Mooqi (217 posts) -

If you have one week of spare time you should play it, because it's a good game. On the other hand, I played Witcher I so long ago that I didn't remember anything about it when I played Witcher II. It didn't bother me at all.

#12 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

You don't need too, TW2 is leaps and bounds better.

#13 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

Seeing as its a series, yes, you should play the first one before the sequel.  I don't understand why this even needs to be asked.

#14 Posted by Lukaz (181 posts) -

I'm in a similar boat to this duder, though I am uncertain if I should continue playing or not. The reason is that

Is there some way around this? Is it worth starting over?
#15 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -
@Lukaz: You could just borrow a save from someone and continue from there. I think I still have a save from around that point.
#16 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -
@Lukaz said:
I'm in a similar boat to this duder, though I am uncertain if I should continue playing or not. The reason is that
Is there some way around this? Is it worth starting over?
That's weird. I guess reload it, since its the same chapter, so you won't lose too much progress.
#17 Posted by Lukaz (181 posts) -
@Aronman789: The problem is I don't have any saves before entering Vizima.
#18 Posted by Lukaz (181 posts) -
@SlasherMan: Would you mind sharing your save?
#19 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

yes

It's 10 bucks on GoG.com
#20 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

That's what I've been doing, but I've heard it's not required to know what's going on in The Witcher 2. If you have the spare cash I'd say go for it.

#21 Posted by S0ndor (2715 posts) -

Yes, it's a good game.

#22 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -
@Lukaz said:
@SlasherMan: Would you mind sharing your save?
Not at all. 

http://www.mediafire.com/?z9oa81624gj2857

I included two saves, one that should be right in the Mage's Tower in the swamp (basically saving you all the trouble of finding the stones, but it's also the end of Chapter 2), while the other save will still have you somewhere in Vizima (don't remember the specifics about that one), so you'd still have things to do in that chapter if you want.
#23 Posted by Tennmuerti (7957 posts) -

Go for it.

Especially if you put value in story in RPG's. Plus like others have said it's only $10 on GoG these days.

Just keep in mind that the 1st game was a bit rough.

#24 Posted by Nate_is_my_fake_name (133 posts) -

I tried to get through the first game a couple times, but never finished it.  I ended up buying the Enhanced Edition Director's Cut on GoG when it was sale for $5 just to have in case I want to go back.

The combat in the two games is vastly different, but they are both still great games.  They both throw a lot of characters at you, I would frequently read stuff in the journal about characters I didn't remember meeting or learning that much about.  Knowing the characters in the first game should help a little, but I think TW2 does a good job of showing you what is going on, and then it becomes its own story.

So, should you?  Yeah, probably.  At least give it a shot.  Do you have to in order to really grasp everything?  No.  Either way, you're in for a treat in the form of some of the best RPGs of the decade.

#25 Posted by Lukaz (181 posts) -
@SlasherMan: Thanks for the saves. I've tried playing it recently but I just can't seem to get myself into the game because it's not necessarily my game. I think Ima just grudge out the outskirts and get to where I am now pretty quickly (hopefully). I guess I have to thank you for letting me see how I should approach this. And I pray that the outskirts don't bore me to death.
#26 Posted by Sucabub (4 posts) -

Cool thanks for the input guys. I think i'll try to power through the first one before i start the second!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.