Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Steam or retail?

zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zungerman090

I already pre-ordered it from GAME, but I am contemplating cancelling it and ordering it on Steam. Granted, it will cost more, but I REALLY like Steam (probably because it shows how much time I wasted being useless). However, I still want to get that shiny coin and game guide from the retail version. I actually have the same dilemma with the Deus Ex Augmented Edition that I pre-ordered earlier. I realise that probably I will never even touch the game guide/art book that comes with the retail version, but I just WANT them. 

Help me out by posting your opinions on this matter.
    ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ATrevelan

Or... get it straight from the devs through gog.com. More extra goodies and no DRM!

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zimbo

I am also experiencing a similar dilemma. I want to get it on steam for conveniences sake however GOG.com is doing the game DRM free and has a whole bunch of pre order stuff. The money will pretty much also go directly to the developers seeing as CD Projekt runs GOG.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Scooper

I had the same thought. I'm going with the real thing instead of steam. Reason being it's cheaper, you actually get stuff in the limited edition (online limited editions suck!), and I kinda want that box on my shelf. It's weird having everything digital. Same reason I'm buying Portal 2 in a box.

Also, as I think they're only selling the limited edition it'll have the developer commentaries and behind the scenes bullshit that I'm not really interested in but if it's anything like the first game (which I bought on Steam) it FORCES you to download the whole thing. So if I want to play The Witcher on Steam now I have to download something like 15gigs! At least on disc you can choose not to install that crap if you don't want to.

I'd say get the real thing. I'm getting mine from Play because they've got an exclusive magical armor thing which they say will get you a sign so you can regenerate health which will be a BIG help because I'm going to play through that game on the hard difficulty.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Marz

GOG.com   DRM free o.O

I think steam will have achievements, i'm not 100% sure on that.

fallen_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By fallen_elite

Deus Ex is supposed to be a Steamworks game I believe so you win either way. 

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I'd get it from GOG, if you're going for a digital version.

But I really like the limited edition version of this game.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

GoG seems like the way to go if you want a download version. There are a bunch of extra bonuses and it's DRM free, and it's cheaper.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ATrevelan said:
    " Or... get it straight from the devs through gog.com. More extra goodies and no DRM! "
    Yup. Pre-order it through them and you get a ton of other stuff for free :)
    zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zungerman090
    @fallen_elite said:
    " Deus Ex is supposed to be a Steamworks game I believe so you win either way.  "
    Where did you get that info? I am not so keen on cancelling my Augmented Edition pre order because I got it while it was just 30 quid. Good value. 

zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zungerman090

By the way, any of you feel the same way about the amount of play time displayed in Steam?

fallen_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fallen_elite
    @zungerman090 said:

" @fallen_elite said:

" Deus Ex is supposed to be a Steamworks game I believe so you win either way.  "
    Where did you get that info? I am not so keen on cancelling my Augmented Edition pre order because I got it while it was just 30 quid. Good value. 

"
    http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/retailsupport.php
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gike987

GOG.com
    Best value, DRM free, and most probably more money to the developer.

zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zungerman090
    @fallen_elite said:
    " @zungerman090 said:

" @fallen_elite said:

"
    http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/retailsupport.php "
    (picture me pumping my fists in the air) 
    Thanks
    Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#15  Edited By Kidavenger

I bought the original at retail and getting the patches out of Atari was a nightmare, I'm going Steam for this one, but GoG would probably be just as good.

Dante_the_Jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Dante_the_Jedi

I am just going to get mine on steam, and if the steam one comes with really bad DRM....(i don't count steam) then I will just get it again from GoG as it is not like they are going to run out.

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Thule
    @Dante_the_Jedi said:
    " I am just going to get mine on steam, and if the steam one comes with really bad DRM....(i don't count steam) then I will just get it again from GoG as it is not like they are going to run out. "
    The only DRM on the Steam one is Steam itself, if I'm not mistaken.
    Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Sayishere

I hated steam before, but now worship it

that is all.
    Dante_the_Jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dante_the_Jedi
    @Thule: That is what it looks like so that is all fine by me.
    droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By droop

I don't get GOG. I click pre order with no personal information what so ever, and I still get the pre-order goodies?
    It also looks like GOG offers a 16 dollar credit to europeans because the euro version is more expensive :3

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Thule
    @Droop said:

" I don't get GOG. I click pre order with no personal information what so ever, and I still get the pre-order goodies? It also looks like GOG offers a 16 dollar credit to europeans because the euro version is more expensive :3 "

Do you have a personal account there? If you have bought games from GOG before, you probably have. You were probably logged in already and the pre-order was linked to your GOG account.
    fastidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By fastidious

Leaning towards the GOG version as I would prefer zero DRM. However, I buy most of my games through steam and I'm always wary of buying something online through a site I've never used before.

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Thule
    @fastidious said:
    " Leaning towards the GOG version as I would prefer zero DRM. However, I buy most of my games through steam and I'm always wary of buying something online through a site I've never used before. "
    GOG is very reliable. I've used their site quite some times now downloading older games, so I don't see how the Witcher 2 is going to be a problem. Another advantage from buying from GOG is that it'll allow you to pre-load the game. You're allowed to download 90% of the game and you'll get the other 10% on the day of release. Also, if you buy from GOG all the money will go to CD Projekt in case you like those guys and want to give them more money.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MikkaQ

Always Steam, who cares about trinkets?

Depth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Depth

Perfect scenario for me would be that the retail box had a steam key.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DonPixel

steam duder always steam. 

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By demonbear

This is a question i had to think through myself and it all came down to this :

Both digital and retail versions are great, but I like my extras when they are physical, tangible. Therefore i'm trying very hard to resist this impulse I have to buy it online and wait for the retail version to get into stores.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Malakhii
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " Always Steam, who cares about trinkets? "
    Well getting it from GoG get's you extra stuff, is DRM free and will directly support the Devs. Seems it's the better choice then Steam. 
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Malakhii Yeah but then you have to deal with not having the game on steam which tends to be a major problem. I like my pc games all in one place, on one account.
    Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Thule
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " @Malakhii Yeah but then you have to deal with not having the game on steam which tends to be a major problem. I like my pc games all in one place, on one account. "
    I don't see how it's a "major problem". You can just make a link to it in your Steam library if you absolutely must have every single game you own in there.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Thule said:
    " @XII_Sniper said:
    " @Malakhii Yeah but then you have to deal with not having the game on steam which tends to be a major problem. I like my pc games all in one place, on one account. "
    I don't see how it's a "major problem". You can just make a link to it in your Steam library if you absolutely must have every single game you own in there. "
    Yeah but that's useless because it won't show when I log into my other computer. Steam is cool because you can use the same account on more than one PC and have them all work perfectly. 
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By scarace360

STEAM ALL THE WAY!

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By PerryVandell

I'm a sucker for games released on Steam but from what I've read, gog seems to be the way to go. 

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Malakhii
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " @Thule said:
    " @XII_Sniper said:
    I don't see how it's a "major problem". You can just make a link to it in your Steam library if you absolutely must have every single game you own in there. "
    Yeah but that's useless because it won't show when I log into my other computer. Steam is cool because you can use the same account on more than one PC and have them all work perfectly.  "
    I get you prefer Steam, but you could easily log into your GoG from multiple computers, so that's not what's stopping you. 
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Malakhii: But you can't buy every game from GoG. Steam is one login, one client and they sell damn near everything. 
    Also I'm waiting for whatever sale sells the Wticher 2 for 10$ or less, I'll give it a a couple years tops. I still haven't finished the first game when I got it off steam for like 5 bucks a while back, anyway.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Tennmuerti

Personally I really really want to buy a retail collectors edition version, because the goodies are apealing to me.
    When going on hollidays to meet my family we tend to play cards a lot and I also collect little statuetes from time to time, so having geralt's head would be cool.
    Unfortunately I'm working in a country where everything has to be imported from mainland Europe and the retailers suck ass in terms of trying to find out even if they will have a game day of release :(
    So digital is the only option.

zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By zungerman090
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " @Malakhii: But you can't buy every game from GoG. Steam is one login, one client and they sell damn near everything.  Also I'm waiting for whatever sale sells the Wticher 2 for 10$ or less, I'll give it a a couple years tops. I still haven't finished the first game when I got it off steam for like 5 bucks a while back, anyway. "
    Couple of years... Can't resist, yanno. I want to play it when it is released. 
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By demonbear
    @demonbear said:
    " This is a question i had to think through myself and it all came down to this : Both digital and retail versions are great, but I like my extras when they are physical, tangible. Therefore i'm trying very hard to resist this impulse I have to buy it online and wait for the retail version to get into stores. "
    Ok so I just contradicted myself here because I bought it on Direct2drive. I know its not steam and whatnot, but they have this crazy deal this weekend, 25% off selected preorders, including Witcher 2. Bought it for 33$, can you believe that? :D
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By ajamafalous

Always Steam.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Adamsons

I'm gonna get it from GoG, if it was Steam Cloud I would probably get it on Steam though.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DonPixel

I have +100 games on steam already.. I like to centralize everything there it's just way easier not having to care about multiple download logs.

Anyway if it wasn't for that I would go www.gog.com
    StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By StingingVelvet

I feel bad buying the boxed version because I would love to support CDP directly on GOG, but I am a collector and need that box.  Maybe if it was a bare-bones disc in a case like Valve games I could make an exception, but the boxed version is actually quite robust.

zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By zungerman090
    @StingingVelvet said:
    I feel bad buying the boxed version because I would love to support CDP directly on GOG, but I am a collector and need that box.  Maybe if it was a bare-bones disc in a case like Valve games I could make an exception, but the boxed version is actually quite robust.
    Same here. I'd buy it from GOG, but I don't really like digital unless it is Steam. Also, free stuff...
    Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Gav47

Steam. Achievements and TF2 Items.

fastidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By fastidious

Settled on the GOG.com version, DRM-free is a huge selling point for me so I want to support that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.