The game won't launch

#1 Posted by Fat_Irish7890 (23 posts) -

when I click play in steam the pop-up appears saying "prepare to launch the witcher 2" and then closes a second latter. I have tried to verify the files, re-downloading, turning off antivirus, antivirus exclusions, running steam as admin, running the game as admin. Nothing works so please if anyone has any ideas im all for it

#2 Posted by FritzDude (2265 posts) -

Whats your PC specs? Or video card?

#3 Posted by Fat_Irish7890 (23 posts) -

intel i7 2.93 GHz

4gb ram

Geforce GTX 470

win 7 64 bit

#4 Posted by Tennmuerti (8134 posts) -

Have you tried the Steam forums?
Have you tried to restart your computer? (installed software frequently needs  a restart before starting to function properly) 
Are your GFX drivers updated?
Have you tried lunching the game launcher itself outside of Steam?

#5 Edited by Piririn (81 posts) -

"- turning off Steam Community and running the game from witcher2.exe file location in bin folder in The Witcher 2 installation directory. "

From the sites Faq thats the only thing you didnt mention.
 So i dont know, have you updated .NET framework and Directx? (Steam should do that for you though) 

EDIT: Also if you have really high resolution on your desktop, try lowering that and then start it.
#6 Edited by Fat_Irish7890 (23 posts) -

did all of that stuff. I've tried everything that was mentioned in the steam forum and the support FAQ. Only thing I can think of is norton antivirus is fucking me over. Im emailing the support guys now to see what they say.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.