The Witcher 2: Much better 2nd time through

#1 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -

I sucked at the witcher 2.  In the "tutorial" where you assault the ballista, I probably died about 10 times.  Same for the part where you are trying to open the gate for the king and you have to get the key from the group of dudes.  That cave with all the Nekkers probably about 10 times too.  I just couldn't grasp the combat.  I toughed it out through one play through and actually enjoyed it once chapter 2 started.  Hell, I only died on the Kayren 3 or 4 times.

I recently started a second playthrough to see the other decisions you can make.  I beat the Ballista part first try.  Got hit maybe 3 times.  Just finished up the tutorial that made me want to uninstall the game the first time around in under an hour dying only once to the dragon QTE because I wasn't paying attention.

If anyone found the game frustratingly hard like I did at the start to the point where it was unenjoyable, go back and play it again.  You will find(maybe?) that the game is a lot better once you know what the hell you are doing.

#2 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Mhm. It takes some getting used to. But once you master the combat, you can experience the beauty in its full glory.

#3 Edited by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

Well, it makes sense, since now you've got the hang of it, and know exactly what to do and what not to in combat.
I'll probably go for a second run later this year or the next. Really want to see the Iorveth side.

#4 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

The combat is actually a lot of fun once it clicks. It takes a while to click, however.

#5 Posted by Nate_is_my_fake_name (133 posts) -

I found this game to have the single hardest tutorial I have ever played.  In fact, I didn't really stop dying constantly until I hit level 5 or so.  I also started using my wired 360 controller, and I think that works better than the M/KB controls for this game.  After that, the game was much more manageable.  I loved the game in general, though.  Rather than replay the entire first chapter, I loaded my save near the end of chapter one, and made the different decision (sorry, I know that is worded poorly.  I am trying to avoid spoilers).  Though I have not played much since then, I noticed an immediate change--Flotsam is quite different at the end of chapter one, depending on what you decide.   I cannot wait to play the second chapter and see it all differently...the fact that they would even do something like this is pretty impressive to me.

#6 Posted by Evilsbane (4531 posts) -

My problem was trying to play using a Mouse and Keyboard, once you switch to a controller game is easy as pie, well not really still pretty tough but better.

#7 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

The combat was manageable enough right from the start, I don't know what all the fuss was about tbh.  The controls are kinda janky and unresponsive though, that much is true.

That (optional) fight against The Operator in Chapter 3 is a bastard though.  Easily the hardest part in the game.

#8 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -
@Jimbo: Do you get anything extra for fighting him? I chose the peaceful approach, since he kept kicking my ass.
#9 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

a second run is actually kinda needed to understand the full picture.

#10 Posted by Giefcookie (583 posts) -

One of the patches lowered the difficulty of the tutorial sections.

#11 Edited by Adamsons (877 posts) -
#12 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -
@SlasherMan said:
@Jimbo: Do you get anything extra for fighting him? I chose the peaceful approach, since he kept kicking my ass.
You get the satisfaction of kicking his smug, gargoyle-summoning ass (I died about 20 times to him at first, then decided to load an earlier save and come back when I had better stuff - he wasn't too bad then).  You get his staff which is pretty good but wasn't quite as good as the sword I had, and you get some dragon scales which I think can be used to craft another sword (again, wasn't as good as the one I had).  I'm not sure if I actually got anything from him that I used, but it was still totally worth it (unless you want the respec he offers I suppose).
#13 Posted by emem (1961 posts) -

@Evilsbane said:

My problem was trying to play using a Mouse and Keyboard, once you switch to a controller game is easy as pie, well not really still pretty tough but better.

Hm I think it's a lot more precise and easier with m&k. :) But now that I know how it works I could probably play through it with a gamepad, too. Gonna wait until I've got a better graphics card though.

#14 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -
@Adamsons: @Jimbo: Ah, nice. Thanks for that. I honestly just tried to take him on 3 or 4 times, then just gave up. I didn't want to bother when I had no idea if the reward would have been worth (or even if there was one at all). Maybe on my next playthrough.
#15 Posted by S0ndor (2715 posts) -
@SlasherMan said:
Well, it makes sense, since now you've got the hang of it, and know exactly what to do and what not to in combat. I'll probably go for a second run later this year or the next. Really want to see the Iorveth side.
I was quite amazed to see that Chapter 2 essentially becomes an entirely different game with 90% of the quests being unique to Iorverth's path. A lot of RPG's feature branching paths based on your decisions, but never have I seen a game take it quite this far.
#16 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -
@S0ndor: Yep, sound about what I heard. It's an entirely different chapter, with different character and different quests. People who only play this once will be a missing out on a whole lot of content, it seems, so yeah I'll make it a point to play this again later when I have the time.
#17 Posted by warxsnake (2635 posts) -

Hell yeah, planning to play it again by choosing the other dialog option. Cant wait.

#18 Edited by Adamsons (877 posts) -
@S0ndor said:

@SlasherMan said:

Well, it makes sense, since now you've got the hang of it, and know exactly what to do and what not to in combat. I'll probably go for a second run later this year or the next. Really want to see the Iorveth side.
I was quite amazed to see that Chapter 2 essentially becomes an entirely different game with 90% of the quests being unique to Iorverth's path. A lot of RPG's feature branching paths based on your decisions, but never have I seen a game take it quite this far.
This is probably the number one reason I'd advocate a second playthrough tbh. I finished the game first time running through with Roche and then tried to do a completionist one with Iorveth (Missed the operator questline this time around.)

It is surprising how different the paths are, but after finishing the game on Iorveths it made me reflect on how incomplete the Roche playthrough felt in hindsight, I don't think you meet Phillippa ever and the dragon scenes seem pretty abrupt and tacked on. 

I wouldn't say this is wrong, as while Geralt is in Henselts camp he would essentially be ignorant to the other branches plot elements, but finishing both paths really gave me a different view of the game.
#19 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

I wasn't intending to play it again straight away, but hearing how much changes I think I might have to.

#20 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
@Adamsons: Yeah, I was quite confused in the end (I still am, haven't went through the Iorveth path yet), not knowing who's who. And the journal acted like I did meet those people and find out their stories, when in fact, I haven't.
#21 Posted by Tennmuerti (7999 posts) -

If you are playing it now with the patches installed I believe they have also made the prologue sections of the game a tad easier.

#22 Posted by Nate_is_my_fake_name (133 posts) -
@S0ndor said:
@SlasherMan said:
I talked to a buddy who beat the game shortly after I did.  I chose the Roche path; he went with Iorveth.  It felt like we were talking about two different games at some points.  I understand the basic storyline and endgame are going to be the same, but yeah.  I cannot even think of a game that hits this level of difference, with the entire central chapter of the game (which is also the longest) being so different.  My only hope is that these decisions can be carried over into different playthroughs on TW3.
#23 Posted by HumanityPlague (251 posts) -

There's two other games it reminds me of, Space Rangers 2: Rise of the Dominators/Reboot, and Planescape: Torment.  All 3 games have a prologue-type mission where it's boring, or hard.  But, once you get into the main game, it opens right up.  It's not a hugely bad choice, but it is kind of odd.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.