This game has become so much better!

#1 Posted by Flaboere (344 posts) -

I finally got money together to get a powerfull PC, and decided I would play The Witcher 2 again, this time on a machine that can run it as it deserves to be run. And boy, did they change a lot! It's now got a real toturial, and the game seems to have become much better and easier, enemies seems to do less damage, you now do a little AOE damage from the start and blocking seems not to take any vigor.

I just wanted to share this, so if anyone of you are sitting out there, thinking you're waiting to play Witcher 2 untill it got fixed, now is the time!

#2 Posted by ick_bop (110 posts) -

It's gonna get way better when the EE hits.

#3 Posted by Jimbo (9709 posts) -

Console gamers would have rejected it out of hand in its original PC state. Polish and accessibility are desirable on PC, but necessities on console.

Blocking not using vigor seems like a pretty fundamental change though, which will change combat from tactical to block/counter button mashy bullshit. Maybe that's what people want, I don't know.

#4 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

We're talking about the 2.0 update right? Yeah it came out when I had like 1 hour into the game so I installed it and kept going, didn't notice any differences. 

@Jimbo said:

Blocking not using vigor seems like a pretty fundamental change though, which will change combat from tactical to block/counter button mashy bullshit. 

That happened?
#5 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -

So will the Enhanced edition be free for everyone or is that something wich will have to be purchased seperately?

If it is free for everyone regardless what venue you bought it from (gog, store, steam etc) i would have to say that the gog.com advertisement behind it is very misleading making it sound as a exclusive deal.

#6 Posted by Jimbo (9709 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: I don't know, just going on what OP said.

#7 Posted by Vitor (2789 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

Console gamers would have rejected it out of hand in its original PC state. Polish and accessibility are desirable on PC, but necessities on console.

Blocking not using vigor seems like a pretty fundamental change though, which will change combat from tactical to block/counter button mashy bullshit. Maybe that's what people want, I don't know.

Pretty sure damage chips through blocks now instead though. Parrys are made way, way more essential.

I'm looking forward to playing through it again once the EE update comes out alongside the console version in April. I dunno about you but after the previous update, playing through the Arena just made me realise how broken the combat could be during the early game when you're faced with multiple dudes. My favourite game of last year, but I only really started appreciating the combat once you had more options opened up to you on the skill tree.

#8 Edited by gike987 (1720 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

It made it so block is now pretty much useless (but I haven't played much so maybe it gets better when you upgrade your skills), because the trade off was that you still take some damage when you block.

#9 Posted by kyrieee (379 posts) -

I think blocking a blow staggers the enemy, which is good for knights with lots of armor or guys with shields

#10 Posted by mak_wikus (475 posts) -

@Questionable said:

So will the Enhanced edition be free for everyone or is that something wich will have to be purchased seperately?

If it is free for everyone regardless what venue you bought it from (gog, store, steam etc) i would have to say that the gog.com advertisement behind it is very misleading making it sound as a exclusive deal.

It'll be free for everyone through auto-update thingy.

#11 Posted by Flaboere (344 posts) -

@kyrieee said:

I think blocking a blow staggers the enemy, which is good for knights with lots of armor or guys with shields

Yeah, good for humans, but so far i'm not using it so much, pretty sure some of the bigger monsters will cut through, at least with some of their charge attacks. Also some damage do get through. So now, it's more used as offense than defense, for some of the enemies that parry really well.

I'm almost at the Kayran and it's awesome so far. Seems it's only the enemies in the prologue that does less damage now, which is fine.

#12 Posted by Spoonman671 (4371 posts) -

I recently decided to go ahead and buy this game, but I've been waiting on a Steam sale before picking it up.  I hear the updated version is a pretty big improvement, which makes it all the more enticing.

@Jimbo said:

It's my understanding that that is the reason why Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were such failures.
#13 Posted by M_Shini (548 posts) -

Im playing thru witcher one in preperation for the EE update for my pc version, Witcher 2 was my entry into the series, played thru it twice alreadyso having all that extra stuff in there after Witcher 1 should be pretty fun to relive it all over again.

#14 Posted by Swoxx (2980 posts) -

I really enjoyed it. Still though, not as much as Witcher 1

#15 Posted by IceColdGamer (604 posts) -

I haven't played either the first or second one. I just built a new machine, maybe I should dive in?

#16 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6937 posts) -

That new trailer made me go from moderately interested in the console version to the point where I now have the Dark Edition preordered. I need myself a good long dark fantasy game and this seems the perfect game for it. I could not be more excited.

#17 Posted by Hunkulese (2526 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

I like the arbitrary bullshit. What exactly constitutes a console gamer? They would band together and reject The Witcher 2 because they are console gamers? They could have released The Witcher without making any changes and it still would have sold more copies on the consoles because there are way more "console gamers" then there are PC gamers.

#18 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Hunkulese said:

@Jimbo said:

I like the arbitrary bullshit. What exactly constitutes a console gamer? They would band together and reject The Witcher 2 because they are console gamers? They could have released The Witcher without making any changes and it still would have sold more copies on the consoles because there are way more "console gamers" then there are PC gamers.

I plan to get this day one because my PC could not run it. I also intend to take that week off for vacation and enjoy it all. I was unaware of the vigor change and would have still enjoyed it. Ill just set it to a harder setting to compensate. 
#19 Posted by Declarius (180 posts) -

@Hunkulese said:

@Jimbo said:

No. There's a reason it never came out on consoles, and never will. If they were so obviously going to make tons of money, they would have done it. With that logic everyone would be making RTS's for consoles, they don't work, and don't sell well, so they don't make them. Oh, but there's a bigger market, that makes more sales.

#20 Posted by mosdl (3223 posts) -

@IceColdGamer said:

I haven't played either the first or second one. I just built a new machine, maybe I should dive in?

There is a demo for the first Witcher out there.

#21 Posted by Jimbo (9709 posts) -
@Spoonman671
I recently decided to go ahead and buy this game, but I've been waiting on a Steam sale before picking it up.  I hear the updated version is a pretty big improvement, which makes it all the more enticing.

@Jimbo said:

It's my understanding that that is the reason why Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were such failures.
Difficult isn't the same thing as unpolished or inaccessible. Most people seem to consider the Souls combat to be fairly tight, whereas many at launch considered TW2 combat to be quite clunky and unintuitive.
#22 Posted by Jimbo (9709 posts) -
@Hunkulese

@Jimbo said:

It's not arbitrary. Your typical remaining PC gamer has a higher tolerance for lack of polish / inaccessability than your typical console gamer. That just stems from the nature of the platforms. Developers can't get away with shit on consoles that they can on PC, because the audience just won't accept it.

I assume by 'The Witcher' you mean 'The Witcher 2' and I disagree - I don't think it would have reviewed very well as a console game and I think word of mouth would have been quite bad among that audience. If you did mean The Witcher 1 then that applies doubly so.
#23 Posted by Hunkulese (2526 posts) -

@Dagmar said:

@Hunkulese said:

@Jimbo said:

No. There's a reason it never came out on consoles, and never will. If they were so obviously going to make tons of money, they would have done it. With that logic everyone would be making RTS's for consoles, they don't work, and don't sell well, so they don't make them. Oh, but there's a bigger market, that makes more sales.

It's coming out on the 360 in April and they just announced that The Witcher 3 will be released on the same date for PC, PS3 and the 360. RTS games pretty much require a mouse and keyboard to play properly. That's why they don't get released on consoles and there have still been many attempts to figure out a way to make a RTS work on a console. The main reason the Witcher games have been PC only is because of the fairly high system requirements. It would take a lot of time and money to tweak them so they would run well on a console. Now that they have established the games are good it's worth the extra time and money to get the console version out.

#24 Posted by groin (822 posts) -
#25 Posted by Hunkulese (2526 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

@Hunkulese

@Jimbo said:

It's not arbitrary. Your typical remaining PC gamer has a higher tolerance for lack of polish / inaccessability than your typical console gamer. That just stems from the nature of the platforms. Developers can't get away with shit on consoles that they can on PC, because the audience just won't accept it. I assume by 'The Witcher' you mean 'The Witcher 2' and I disagree - I don't think it would have reviewed very well as a console game and I think word of mouth would have been quite bad among that audience. If you did mean The Witcher 1 then that applies doubly so.

You keep making stuff up and trying to pass it off as fact. It doesn't matter if people are on a console or a PC they will put up with a lot if the game is good in fact someone who spent $1500 for a PC is probably more likely to get pissy when their game doesn't work right. Look at the Fallout and Elder Scrolls series. They are both super buggy and at times broken yet are some of the best selling console games of all time. Both the Witcher games are far less buggy then what Bethesda has put out.

It also makes no sense why you would think The Witchers would not have been reviewed well on a console. Maybe you didn't see any reviews but the Witcher games got a lot of praise from reviewers. If they were able to provide the same game and experience with a slightly less shiny package then reviewers wouldn't like it anymore? Are PC reviewers only giving high scores because games look pretty? A good game is a good game no matter which platform it is released on.

#26 Posted by Jimbo (9709 posts) -

@Hunkulese said:

It doesn't matter if people are on a console or a PC they will put up with a lot if the game is good in fact someone who spent $1500 for a PC is probably more likely to get pissy when their game doesn't work right.

Nope, you're wrong about that. Hence the tutorial and polished up combat which will be in place for the console launch. They know they won't get off so lightly this time around if those things aren't sorted out, because the audiences have different expectations. CD Projekt are making the changes necessary to give their game the best chance of succeeding on their new target platform.

#27 Posted by Spoonman671 (4371 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
@Spoonman671

@Jimbo said:

Difficult isn't the same thing as unpolished or inaccessible. Most people seem to consider the Souls combat to be fairly tight, whereas many at launch considered TW2 combat to be quite clunky and unintuitive.
I never suggested those games were difficult.  They are not.  I suggested that they were inaccessible and, to a lesser degree, unpolished--which they are.  If you are suggesting that Demon's Souls is accessible, then I should think you would be able to intuit the meaning of the following symbols, since the game certainly assumes you could.
#28 Posted by Hunkulese (2526 posts) -

@Jimbo: Wrong about what? I already gave you an example. Fallout and Elder Scrolls super buggy, super unpolished, sold a crap ton of console copies anyway. The fact that PC gamers don't complain? Go to the message board of any PC release during the first week or so and it's littered with posts about people who are pissed because they spent a gagignity dollars on a new video card and the game still doesn't run properly. "PC gamers" and "console gamers" are both just gamers and they enjoy playing good games.

As long as they are able to make them actually run properly on a console there is nothing in either Witcher game that would make it a horrendous experience on a console.

The Witcher 2 is getting an update because that's what they do. They released the free Enhanced Edition for the first Witcher that basically did everything the upcoming one will do (iron out some bugs, make gameplay improvements, extra content) and there was no console version.

Since you're telling me your comments didn't come directly out of your ass please enlighten us as to why "console gamers" will only buy games that are highly polished and 100% accessible.

#29 Posted by Jimbo (9709 posts) -

@Hunkulese said:

"PC gamers" and "console gamers" are both just gamers and they enjoy playing good games.

This is either very naive or an extremely simplified view of the market. Consoles and PCs each have pros and cons as platforms, and these are reflected in the people that choose to play them and the games they then choose to play, as you would expect. Reality is a little more nuanced than just 'gamers like good games!'

I don't really see how Fallout/Elder Scrolls or the Souls games counter what I'm saying here. As the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games have moved towards prioritising console, they have prioritised accessibility over pretty much everything else, with each now having extensive tutorials and taking steps to ease players into the game gradually, rather than throw them in at the deep end and let them figure it out for themselves (a la TW2). For all their bugs (and I'd argue Skyrim was actually pretty tight, but whatevs), the minute-to-minute gameplay in those games does not receive the criticism that TW2 did (which, as much as I enjoyed it personally, was indisputably clunky).

Souls has found a niche on consoles, but that's all it is - the mainstream (ie. bulk of the) console audience is still not interested in that game. I don't think CD Projekt are aiming at that same niche with TW2 and I don't think they need to. With the extra work they are putting in to prepare the game for console, I see no reason why they shouldn't be aiming closer to Bioware numbers rather than Souls numbers. The rest of The Witcher 2 was fantastic - the bad bits were 'good enough' for PC then, and with those ironed out it should be 'good enough' overall for console now. I firmly believe those 'bad bits' it was criticised for (no tutorial, clunky combat) would seriously have hampered its chances of being successful on console.

#30 Posted by Declarius (180 posts) -

@Hunkulese said:

@Dagmar said:

@Hunkulese said:

@Jimbo said:

It's coming out on the 360 in April and they just announced that The Witcher 3 will be released on the same date for PC, PS3 and the 360. RTS games pretty much require a mouse and keyboard to play properly. That's why they don't get released on consoles and there have still been many attempts to figure out a way to make a RTS work on a console. The main reason the Witcher games have been PC only is because of the fairly high system requirements. It would take a lot of time and money to tweak them so they would run well on a console. Now that they have established the games are good it's worth the extra time and money to get the console version out.

You were talking about the first game, which was planned for consoles and then cancelled. Also, until the game comes out and sells a lot, nothing is established.

#31 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

@Spoonman671: Air, Fire, Water, Earth (Grass)? How close am I?

Hey guys, don't mess around with The Witcher 3 announcement. Almost had a heart attack from the sudden excitement here...

#32 Posted by Doctorchimp (4063 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

@Spoonman671
I recently decided to go ahead and buy this game, but I've been waiting on a Steam sale before picking it up. I hear the updated version is a pretty big improvement, which makes it all the more enticing.

@Jimbo said:

And if you played Demon's Souls before Witcher 2, when the game launched it felt like a goddamn cheap imitation of Demon's Souls combat.

#33 Posted by Spoonman671 (4371 posts) -
@valrog said:

Hey guys, don't mess around with The Witcher 3 announcement. Almost had a heart attack from the sudden excitement here...

Way off, dude.  Think statistics, not elemental affinities.
#34 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

@valrog said:

Way off, dude. Think statistics, not elemental affinities.

Statistics? Uhm... Standard deviation? I honestly have no idea. The game just expects you to know what they mean? Wow...

#35 Posted by Disobedience (34 posts) -
@Spoonman671

@Jimbo said:

Hah :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.