Those that haven't played the original (i.e me).

#1 Posted by NTM (7344 posts) -

Are you really planning on playing the sequel on the consoles? I haven't been keeping track of it because for one, I don't have a PC powerful enough anymore to play the original or the sequel, and as much as I would love to play The Witcher and especially its sequel, I don't plan on playing the console version at all. Is there a reason I should? I'm not being pessimistic, it's a real question. Are you one that hasn't played any of The Witcher games on PC, but still would love to, so you're going to buy the sequel when it comes out on the 360?

#2 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

my pc is not up to par to play them but i am buy 2 on Pc seems to be a amazing game and the story stuff seems to be self contained.

#3 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

I've played both, but there's little you'd be missing if you skip the first game. The Witcher 2 ties in more directly with the books (which mostly haven't even been translated into English) than it does with the first game.. But it's a stand alone story, you should be able to get into it with no prior knowledge of the series, and I'd highly recommend it.

It's the best RPG this generation, period.

#4 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

How can you not run The Witcher? You ran Crysis!

#5 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

Waiting for the 360 port and looking forward to it.

Don't bother with the original. The controls are absolute garbage. Completely ruined my play experience.

#6 Posted by MikkaQ (10284 posts) -

I played the first couple hours of The Witcher, thought it was neat, but didn't play it past that. Then a couple years later, I've put many more hours into The Witcher 2, and I feel like I didn't really miss much at all. It's a significantly better game, it's almost completely different.

#7 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@BrockNRolla said:

Don't bother with the original. The controls are absolute garbage. Completely ruined my play experience.

What? Are you talking about the combat controls? I don't think anything else changed too dramatically.

The rhythm-based combo system worked well, I thought. It kind-of carries over into 2, though obviously you aren't locked into the animation in 2.

The combat system was exactly what ruined it for me. I found the "rhythm" system impenetrable. You could make it work, but it never felt natural, and any time you were facing more than one enemy it felt even worse. Is the combat really the same? That's a huge bummer for me if that's the case.

#8 Posted by NTM (7344 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

How can you not run The Witcher? You ran Crysis!

This was when I had the PC to play it, I can't do that anymore. Last year the PC died.

#9 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@rebgav: Thanks for the info. I liked the combo idea, but not the implementation in the original. I'm back on board for the port then.

#10 Posted by MetalBaofu (1374 posts) -

I've always wanted to play The Witcher 1 and 2, but have never been able to(crap PC). I thought about playing the first one through OnLive before the second one hit the consoles, but I never did. I'm not going to let that stop me from playing part 2 when it comes out on Xbox. I'll probably read some about the plot of part one first, though.

#11 Posted by MetalBaofu (1374 posts) -

@rebgav: Yeah, I have no intent of trying to go super in depth into it. I just want a basic understanding of what exactly happens in it, even if it has nothing to do with anything that happens in 2. At this point, I probably will never play the first one, so I guess I just want to at least read a little about it.

#12 Posted by kyrieee (379 posts) -

The story in TW1 is 98% self contained. There is some overarching stuff regarding Geralt's amnesia, but you can wiki that stuff.

#13 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10915 posts) -

I would definitely like to play the first one, but I'm not going to let that stop me from playing The Witcher 2 when it comes out on 360.

#14 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5819 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:

I've played both, but there's little you'd be missing if you skip the first game. The Witcher 2 ties in more directly with the books (which mostly haven't even been translated into English) than it does with the first game.. But it's a stand alone story, you should be able to get into it with no prior knowledge of the series, and I'd highly recommend it.

It's the best RPG this generation, period.

That's good to hear. I guess I'll be getting it next month then.
#15 Posted by xyzygy (9949 posts) -

I'm not playing the first. I heard that you don't need to know what's going on - I will play it someday when I have a better PC than this PoS.

#16 Edited by omghisam (284 posts) -

The first Witcher game was built on a heavily modified Aurora Engine (KOTOR and Neverwinters Night 2) so it is a PC ass PC game. If you don't have CRPG experience, I would just wait for Witcher 2 on the 360.

#17 Posted by UitDeToekomst (709 posts) -

i am looking forward to mid-April so i can finally play this highly acclaimed game on the 360. looks very good, and i hope i am not disappointed. haven't played the first game, and have no plans to. seems like this one stands on its own, as far as i have seen.

#18 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@rebgav said:

Witcher 2 has its own early-game combat problems as parries and blocks are locked up in the skills menu. You don't really have all of your basic melee combat abilities in place until you hit level 12 or 15 or something, depending on how you spend your points.

I believe they've rebalanced that since, but I haven't played since it came out.

All the choices in the first game are self contained (minus one retcon for the love interest in Witcher 2).

The basic world setup is easy - everyone is a racist, Elves are freedom fighters/terrorists (depending on your view) who have lost a lot of their land/powers, monsters exist and Witchers kill them. Except Witchers are hated too as they are mutants.

#19 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@mosdl said:

All the choices in the first game are self contained (minus one retcon for the love interest in Witcher 2).

That isn't really a retcon, even if you chose Shani in the first game it's not unlikely that Geralt would end up back with Triss. Hell, if Yennifer is in the next game he'll probably ditch Triss too.

Yennifer is getting into spoilers, but that can only mean a 3 way.

#20 Posted by benspyda (2033 posts) -

I played through Witcher 2 after only playing the intro area of the first game, and you don't need to have played it to jump right in.

I would like to go back to the original at some point though.

#21 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

Never played the first game, but I did read Blood Of Elves. Am I good to go for TW2?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.