Today's NOOOOOO: The Witcher 2 on Xbox 360 Delayed into Early 2012

• 86 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3389 posts) -
Alongside Mass Effect 3's delay, there's one less RPG with dozens of hours of content to play this fall.

Argh, I say.

CD Projekt RED's announced The Witcher 2 will not longer be coming to Xbox 360 this year. Instead, we're looking at early 2012 for the RPG sequel, a series that's been struggling to debut on consoles for a few years now.

Specifically, all parties involved are targeting first quarter 2012, meaning (likely) before the end of March.

The Xbox 360 version of the game has been pitched as an adaptation, not a port. CD Projekt RED hopes to spend the extra development time making sure the conversion happens smoothly.

"The extra time will allow us to polish the title to perfection, so that the game offers an ideally balanced, fantastic experience to gamers," said studio president Adam Kicinski in the press release.

More important, perhaps, are the recent legal issues surrounding the release of The Witcher 2.

Long story short, Namco Bandai's disputing CD Projeket RED being allowed to partner with THQ over the release of The Witcher 2 on Xbox 360 in Europe.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3389 posts) -
Alongside Mass Effect 3's delay, there's one less RPG with dozens of hours of content to play this fall.

Argh, I say.

CD Projekt RED's announced The Witcher 2 will not longer be coming to Xbox 360 this year. Instead, we're looking at early 2012 for the RPG sequel, a series that's been struggling to debut on consoles for a few years now.

Specifically, all parties involved are targeting first quarter 2012, meaning (likely) before the end of March.

The Xbox 360 version of the game has been pitched as an adaptation, not a port. CD Projekt RED hopes to spend the extra development time making sure the conversion happens smoothly.

"The extra time will allow us to polish the title to perfection, so that the game offers an ideally balanced, fantastic experience to gamers," said studio president Adam Kicinski in the press release.

More important, perhaps, are the recent legal issues surrounding the release of The Witcher 2.

Long story short, Namco Bandai's disputing CD Projeket RED being allowed to partner with THQ over the release of The Witcher 2 on Xbox 360 in Europe.

Staff
#2 Edited by X19 (2304 posts) -

Double Nooooo PS3 :(

#3 Posted by Dixperiken (94 posts) -

That kinda sucks. Especially if there putting more work into it.

#4 Posted by AmericanNinja (157 posts) -

hahaha.

#5 Posted by hwy_61 (920 posts) -

Suddenly Vinny playing The Witcher 1 now doesn't seem so crazy...

#6 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Odds this never gets released, just like the Witcher 1 port?

#7 Posted by GioVANNI (1283 posts) -

I'm willing to bet this doesn't come out at all.

Wasn't the first Witcher ALSO supposed to come out on the 360?

#8 Posted by Toxin066 (3250 posts) -

CD Projekt RED, take all the time you need. Perfection would be a nice.

#9 Edited by patrickklepek (3389 posts) -

@GioVANNI said:

I'm willing to bet this doesn't come out at all. Wasn't the first Witcher ALSO supposed to come out on the 360?

Correct, but they never showed that version off--they have been showing press Witcher 2 on 360.

Staff
#10 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

I agree with GioVANNI. It won't come out on the xbox360 or if it comes out it will have many problems.

#11 Posted by hermes (1349 posts) -
@X19 said:
Double Nooooo PS3 :(
I am with you on this one...
#12 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

read the title as "more time for Polish" and was liek "cool more sausage"

#13 Posted by Vorbis (2749 posts) -

It won't be released alongside Skyrim and Dark Souls, this is good news.

#14 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

So glad I played it already. It was awesome.

#15 Posted by admachina (188 posts) -

do i hear PC only GOTY?

#16 Posted by Yummylee (21204 posts) -
@Vorbis said:

It won't be released alongside Skyrim and Dark Souls, this is good news.

Absotively.
#17 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@mosdl said:

Odds this never gets released, just like the Witcher 1 port?

They were completely remaking the game for the 360 and PS3, it wasn't a simple port. It eventually just became a waste of time, as they were already making the sequel and you don't especially need to have played the first to understand it.

#18 Posted by Vexxan (4612 posts) -

Aww :/

#19 Posted by RE_Player1 (7544 posts) -

I rather they delay the game and make it good than release a bad game and have it on shelves forever.

#20 Posted by rmanthorp (3851 posts) -
#21 Posted by buft (3300 posts) -

damn shame

#22 Posted by PK_Koopa (581 posts) -

Well fuck. 
Hopefully they really do take this opportunity to polish it up.

#23 Posted by BenderUnit22 (1426 posts) -

Isn't that nice of them, delaying the game just so Vinny can finish the first game and the novels

#24 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -

It's a rail shooter.

#25 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1526 posts) -

@GioVANNI said:

I'm willing to bet this doesn't come out at all. Wasn't the first Witcher ALSO supposed to come out on the 360?

Sure it will come on xbox ... I really liked the game but you could see at every turn that they designed the game with consoles in mind, most people even agree that the game is best played with a controller on the PC. The Witcher 1 was a different story, that game was a PC game from head to toe and would have had to go serious redesigning to work on a console.

#26 Posted by JJOR64 (18882 posts) -

A little sadden, but I want them to take their time with this port.

#27 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

don't worry patrick you'll play it one day

#28 Posted by mnzy (2911 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85 said:

It's a rail shooter.

For Kinect.
#29 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

Not a huge loss, PC version will still probably be optimal. And I'm definitely a "console guy."

#30 Posted by Marz (5641 posts) -
@elsuperdonut: he already owns Witcher 2 on PC though :O
#31 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

First thought: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Second thought: Woot one less game to buy this holiday season, more chance I won't starve!

#32 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

Probably the best game of 2010 so far, at least from those I've played.
Hopefully the console folks can have a great experience with it as well :)

#33 Posted by Landon (4127 posts) -
@mnzy said:
@wolf_blitzer85 said:

It's a rail shooter.

For Kinect.
And it comes with Fruit Ninja.
#34 Posted by Reluctant_Hero (39 posts) -

Fall 2011 is already jam packed. I think the 360 port wil sell better next year when the only other RPG coming out, as of now, is Mass Effect 3.

With that said, I'll be there on day one no matter the release date. My year & half old M11x can't handle the PC version.

#35 Posted by hwy_61 (920 posts) -
@Marz Yeah but by the time he starts Witcher 2, I'll be starting it in 360 xD
#36 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

Witchery... denied!

#37 Posted by HS21 (2678 posts) -

Game needs more Polish polish. 

#38 Posted by kagato (886 posts) -

Im calling it, this game will never be released on consoles and talk of this and the first game coming out will continue to circle until the 3rd PC game is announced. Then the cycle will begin anew with that one, i dont know why but this series is never destined to arrive on consoles.

#39 Posted by Sammo21 (3199 posts) -

So let me get this straight...it's a nooooo now but then when it comes out during the heaviest season for games you'll also complain about so many games coming out. The Witcher 2 getting pushed to 2012 is good for the game so someone actually buys the damn thing.

#40 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

Get it on steam is 10 bucks cheaper

#41 Posted by pweidman (2282 posts) -

Probably better off. With all the games this fall and winter, might as well wait anyway. Still totally looking forward to it though on the 360.

#42 Posted by jmrwacko (2444 posts) -

Dunno why they would have to "adapt" the Witcher II to consoles. It plays great using a gamepad on PC.

#43 Posted by UberExplodey (923 posts) -

I think Today's NOOOOOO should be a regular feature, but that's just me.

#44 Edited by Krakn3Dfx (2484 posts) -

Also, it'll be called "Witcher 2 XTreme" and it'll feature a horde mode and Kinect based minigames.

Totally worth the wait.

""use the Kinect to piece your memories together on the screen. Failed, try again...Failed, try again...Failed, try again...Failed, try again..."

#45 Posted by Video_Game_King (35801 posts) -

That reminds me: did the console version of The Witcher 1 ever happen? Or did it get canceled while I blinked?

#46 Edited by Ghostiet (5208 posts) -

@GioVANNI said:

I'm willing to bet this doesn't come out at all.  Wasn't the first Witcher ALSO supposed to come out on the 360?

@Video_Game_King said:

That reminds me: did the console version of The Witcher 1 ever happen? Or did it get canceled while I blinked?

@kagato said:

Im calling it, this game will never be released on consoles and talk of this and the first game coming out will continue to circle until the 3rd PC game is announced. Then the cycle will begin anew with that one, i dont know why but this series is never destined to arrive on consoles.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. The Witcher: The Return of the White Wolf was a complete remake of the original game, not a simple port. It didn't come out because the devs they hired to do it failed every milestone, coupled with the financial crisis it simply became too expensive to give a fuck about, so they scrapped that and focused on the sequel.

The Witcher 2 works perfect with a gamepad and parts of the interface even look like something designed with a controller in mind (radial menu). If anything, they are probably optimizing the engine for consoles. Also, the 3 patches released so far gave a significant amount of fixes, changes and content for free, so they probably want the console version to be the "definitive" one, so they wouldn't have to jump hoops with bullshit like Namco Bandai suddenly crying "they erased DRM, waaah".

To be honest, this is a good decision. By the time, they might make up their minds about a PS3 version, it'll be more polished at launch than the PC version was and they won't have to compete for sales with Skyrim. The only significant cRPG coming out in early 2012 is Mass Effect 3 and that game is something completely different in every aspect.

#47 Posted by RoyCampbell (1096 posts) -

Who honestly saw this game coming out this year?

By the way, I think the game will look just fine. Just Cause 2, while obviously looking "better" on PC, looked wonderful on the Xbox 360. I've no doubts with Witcher 2 on 360.

#48 Posted by FritzDude (2249 posts) -

I have faith.

#49 Posted by steelknight2000 (429 posts) -

Already finished it so I win again.

#50 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Well for once PC users didn't get royally fucked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.