Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Will I need to have finished the first one?

Buccura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Buccura

I have The Witcher and, as much as I like it, I couldn't keep myself interested because (And I'm sure many have had this issue) I eventually always forget what the plot is, what I'm supposed to be doing and why I should care. So, as a result, I've never finished it. Does anyone know if I would be lost on too many things if I just jumped into this one? (I believe I got as far as the 3rd act)

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Contro

Jumping in would be fine, but playing the original first would add a certain something to your experience of the sequel, that it wouldn't otherwise give.

Buccura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Buccura
    @Contro said:
    Jumping in would be fine, but playing the original first would add a certain something to your experience of the sequel, that it wouldn't otherwise give.
    Understandable. I do want to ask, though, if it's as easy to forget what you're supposed to be doing as it was in the first one unless you dedicated extremely long play times to it. I'm not bashing on the game, mind you, as I wish there were more RPGs like The Witcher. I just couldn't overlook this one flaw, for me at least.
    iceman0486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iceman0486

The quest mapping is a little better and the journal is written by Dandelion, so its a bit more informative.  That said, you get money from your imported character.  However much you had in your save.  Began without importing the first time and started with 100 orens.  Dug up my save from my old laptop and began the game with 250,000 orens.  Makes a bit of a difference on what you can kit yourself out with early game. 

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Nardak

The original witcher is a bit dated when it comes to graphics. I think the worst part storywise in that game is the swamp which drags on way too long.

Everytime I think of replaying the original witcher I remember that in order to play through it I have also to play through the swamp section again.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SlasherMan
    @Buccura said:
    @Contro said:
    Understandable. I do want to ask, though, if it's as easy to forget what you're supposed to be doing as it was in the first one unless you dedicated extremely long play times to it. I'm not bashing on the game, mind you, as I wish there were more RPGs like The Witcher. I just couldn't overlook this one flaw, for me at least.
    Even if you do forget, the journal in the game does a very good job of describing the plot and quests so you'd only need to quickly skim through it to remember. In fact, they go so far that even each side quest in the game is written like a short story, which I thought was a nice touch.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By valrog

I think you should give it another try. It's not necessary to enjoy the second one, but it's an incredible experience that would be a shame to miss. I was lost a lot in the first one as well, but when it all comes together things should be a lot clearer.

OdinsThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OdinsThunder

No it's not absolutely necessary, but it will make playing through the second game a much richer experience, and besides the original game is an RPG classic despite its flaws. The kicker is that it may be hard to play after you've played through TW2 so I'd definantly recommend playing the original game first.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.