Will retail connect through Steam?

#1 Posted by KarlHungus (125 posts) -

The title pretty much says it all. Whenever I can get one, I prefer a physical copy over digital, however, I am an achievement whore, and I want steam achievements.

#2 Posted by ericdrum (405 posts) -

I actually had this same question today for one of my friends who didn't have a good answer and wasn't sure.

#3 Posted by HS21 (2682 posts) -

From what I've heard a retail copy will not connect to your Steam account. You can run the game through Steam to get the overlay in game but it will not be considered a Steam game. 

#4 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

On steampowered.com there is a list of retail games that are Steam compatible. Witcher 2 might already be on the list if it is.

#5 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2360 posts) -

Based on the 5 mins i took to search google for an answer I can say that the physical copy of The witcher 2 won't ship with steamworks

#6 Edited by Marz (5658 posts) -

no

if you want achievements you have to buy directly from Steam.
#7 Posted by Brians (1464 posts) -

There are no achievements in steam. For the game

#8 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Why arnt you guys buying it on steam?

#9 Posted by Tennmuerti (8135 posts) -
@scarace360: Some people prefer to have physical boxes. Or are getting the collectors edition. Or buying on GoG.
#10 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -
@KarlHungus: 

Digital (ie Steam) means you can download it no matter what. ie I can load up Half Life 1 because i copied the install key into my steam account. That means since HL1 i have never repaid for a single steam game i  have purchased. imagine that. :p 
why wouldnt you buy it digital? seriously...
#11 Posted by Heltom92 (714 posts) -
@scarace360: Because buying it from GoG.com makes you a better person.
#12 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -
@Tennmuerti said:
" @scarace360: Some people prefer to have physical boxes. Or are getting the collectors edition. Or buying on GoG. "
Still dont know why steam hasnt started selling special editons. And just sending you the stuff from the box. and you download the game.
#13 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -
@Heltom92 said:
" @scarace360: Because buying it from GoG.com makes you a better person. "
How does GoG make me a better person?
#14 Posted by Heltom92 (714 posts) -
@scarace360: Well it doesn't really but because GoG and CD Projekt RED are owned by the same company more of the money will go to the developer if you buy from GoG.
#15 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -
@Heltom92 said:
" @scarace360: Well it doesn't really but because GoG and CD Projekt RED are owned by the same company more of the money will go to the developer if you buy from GoG. "
Fuck GoG. They can eat a dick for all i care. More shit i buy on steam more people get hired at valve more people get hired at valve fast i get half life3
#16 Posted by Heltom92 (714 posts) -
@scarace360: Wow ok was just saying didn't realise it was a touchy subject lol.
#17 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -
@Heltom92 said:
" @scarace360: Wow ok was just saying didn't realise it was a touchy subject lol. "
Na i just wanted to type some dumb shit.
#18 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -
Half Life 3 isnt coming out for a long time. Unless Gabe finally gets lypo and realizes you dont need to release a game every 5 or 10 years.
#19 Edited by omghisam (294 posts) -

No. It would only connect through steam as a copy protection measure which CD Projekt  doesn't jive with. The Witcher 2 is using a date check version of Securom Release Control with unlimited licences but only 5 computers being able to run the same copy at a time. The version sold through GOG has no DRM.

#20 Posted by KarlHungus (125 posts) -
@Tennmuerti: Exactly. I like having boxes. I like having discs. The retail of the game comes with some PHYSICAL objects that I would like. I know some of those things are digitized, but not all of them.
#21 Posted by DIABLOKU (59 posts) -

that world map is tempting me
how cool(nerdy) would it be to open the map and point at all the places you've visited

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.