Witcher 2 boss fights too hard? (No Spoilers)

#1 Edited by chan05 (318 posts) -

Hi folks,

I'm really struggling with EVERY boss fight. I managed to survive the first 4 - 5 boss fights only by using the environment to my advantage. I'm not doing ANY damage at all (It takes 4-5 hits to see the health bar go down only the slightest bit) to the the enemys in the boss fights and most of the one hit kill me. Is there anything I missed? I wonder if I have a inferior weapon since i only have a sword with 8-12 damage!? I also still don't have the silver sword I had during the tutorial. Also what's the use of all these potions and oils if you cant use them in the boss battles because you are not able to meditate during the fights? I somehow have the feeling I'm missing something important. Can someone give me some advice?

#2 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@chan05: Been a while since I played it but it sounds like you are right about the sword. I believe the smith in Flotsam was the one who had the good weapons?

Also, are you using the signs? Shield is very important, as it the one that traps enemies. And if you die, just meditate before the battle and potion/oil up.

#3 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

Upgrade your weapons, meditate before fights, and make sure you are using all the necessary signs. There. That's my official strategy guide to The Witcher 2.

#4 Posted by chan05 (318 posts) -

@mosdl: I would really like to meditate but after dying the reload always puts me directly into battle, which means I cant meditate...that's really pointless because often times you don't know that a boss fight is coming up. Also yes I'm using the signs...they are the only thing that's helping me so far. I guess I have to look for a better sword then.

#5 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

The important thing you're missing is a silver sword. You have zero chance in the game without the proper equipment. Another thing is you need to prepare for fights by drinking potions beforehand. It's usually not that hard to figure out what sort of enemies you'll be fighting in the immediate future. You just need to be tactical about your fights.

#6 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

Were you paying attention to what they were telling you in the game?

#7 Posted by Omega (835 posts) -

Remember to use iron sword on humans and silver sword on monsters.

#8 Posted by YI_Orange (1148 posts) -

I just found bosses took a long time, a lot of running around, and alot of Quens.

#9 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

I don't remember if it applies to all bosses, but I know for at least one that when I died there was a very small window of about a second after the autosave loaded that I could hit the correct buttons to meditate and change up my potions. For human bosses take the offensive. I haven't finished the game yet, but a lot of even the tougher humans seem to have a hard time getting in an attack 1 on 1 if you go all in with yours.

#10 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

How have you gotten through 4-5 bosses with the stock sword and no silver sword? Wouldn't 4-5 bosses put you like two thirds of the way through the game?

#11 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

Yeah... if your trying to kill monsters with a regular sword you'd sooner beat them to death with a wet noodle. The game is very strict about Steel for humans and Silver for monsters. I haven't had much of a problem. Just abuse the crap out of the Quen sign. Fully upgraded its amazing and can keep you from taking damage and also deflect up to 50% of damage back to enemies.

#12 Posted by Redsox44 (482 posts) -

I just finished my first playthrough. And I played on hard, only one I had big problems with was the first Letho fight, I didn't have much trouble after that. You just gotta play carefully. And yea get a silver sword, you can buy silver ore from the dwarf who crafts in flotsam if you dont have any and he can craft it for you if you have the diagram. Which I think you automatically get.

#13 Posted by gamefreak9 (2359 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

How have you gotten through 4-5 bosses with the stock sword and no silver sword? Wouldn't 4-5 bosses put you like two thirds of the way through the game?

that's what I was thinking... isn't the first boss letho?

#14 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

Maybe he counts those spider queens, and kayran. I would call kayran a boss. Anyway, cant believe you didnt find a better steel sword and made a silver sword.

#15 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@gamefreak9 said:

@AlexW00d said:

that's what I was thinking... isn't the first boss letho?

Kayran is the first boss.

#16 Posted by pweidman (2334 posts) -

The Kayran was the first boss for me.

All advice in here is valid tc.

Have you lvled up much? And as soon as you get to lvl ten, the other three trees open. Put points in some good sword skills, and the sign skills, Quen especially.

I think the thing is the boss fights are one, not always easy to anticipate and properly prepare for and locked in quicksaves, and two, the diff ramps rather jarringly on them. Especially early on.

After you get lvled and get used to things; rolling non stop, using Quen and other signs effectively, as well as bombs and traps, and get better swords, things flatten out some, and the game flows much more comfortably imo.

#17 Posted by chan05 (318 posts) -
@Demoskinos how do i get the silver sword? Is there some kind of quest for it?
#18 Posted by Tennmuerti (8102 posts) -
@chan05 said:
You should have gotten this quest automatically in the first town, it tasks you with forging yourself a new silver sword.
#19 Posted by StingingVelvet (569 posts) -

Someone has rushed the game, ignored quests, ignored new weapons, and then is mad the game is too hard. That someone made his own bed.

#20 Edited by d0rks (73 posts) -

@chan05 said:

I wonder if I have a inferior weapon since i only have a sword with 8-12 damage!? I also still don't have the silver sword I had during the tutorial. Also what's the use of all these potions and oils if you cant use them in the boss battles because you are not able to meditate during the fights? I somehow have the feeling I'm missing something important. Can someone give me some advice?

@chan05 said:

I find it difficult to give specific advice, but it reads to me like you should look into finding or crafting a better steel sword and definitely get yourself a silver sword.

The quest mentioned is called "A Sword for Monsters", a free diagram for a basic silver sword can be found as loot at the start of Chapter I.

You may want to consider playing on an easier difficulty, in case you're not having fun and it sounds like you don't.

Also, unlike potions, oils can be applied during battles.

#21 Posted by Intro (1207 posts) -

Nah, it's a breath of fresh air to have a challenging game which I don't stumble upon too often.

#22 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I only got far enough in to have the first boss battle with the other Witcher, and man that was fucking dumb. It was SO incredibly frustrating, he took almost no damage when you DID hit him, and was almost always protected by quen. I was a pretty hardcore completionist and had the best gear I could find. I forget the difficulty I was on, but regardless that fight was just unfair and brutally unenjoyable, even beyond the difficulty spike it represented. I was doing great in all of the other combat situations, but that took me so fucking long to get past.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.