Witcher 2 is now $19.99 on Steam (and Witcher 1 is $7.49)

#1 Edited by Sergey (21 posts) -

Update: Sorry, false alarm. The price was slashed, but only if you are accessing Steam with a Russian IP, like I do.

Without any proper announcement and not as a part of a special deal (as far as I can see) Witcher 1 & 2 prices were slashed in half on Steam as of now.

Great game, especially the second one.

Playing it right now on a "bootcamp" Windows 7 running on a Macbook Pro (early 2011) which is connected through a DisplayPort to HDMI cable to a 50 inch TV and surround sound system. Playing it with a 360 controller of course. Who needs consoles? :)

#2 Posted by Chrisbbq (45 posts) -

It's still 50 euros here in Europe/Norway :/

#3 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Im showing it as 50 bucks still.  

U.S 

#4 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

Wow that's a fairly huge price drop in a very small amount of time. Even if it is a sale that seems extreme. How did the game sell on release?

#5 Posted by Sergey (21 posts) -

Sorry guys, didn't know Steam does this.

I'm from Russia, bought Witcher 2 a week ago for full price myself and now discovered that the price was slashed.

#6 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

$49.99 here in Canada.

#7 Edited by Franstone (1110 posts) -

Sounded to good to be true....
And it is.

Already own it, just had to check.
US Steam $49.99

#8 Posted by AlexW00d (6235 posts) -

Still £35 in England...

#9 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -

Yeah, $49.99/$19.99 in the US.

#10 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2685 posts) -

Wow, I zipped over to Steam so fast only to have my heart broken.

#11 Posted by The_Dude (798 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Wow, I zipped over to Steam so fast only to have my heart broken.

Same :(

#12 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

No thanks.

#13 Posted by Marz (5648 posts) -

would using a russian proxy to access the store give the same discount?  

#14 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Maybe this is part of the summer sale coming up and they accidentally pushed it out on Russian steam or some shit?

#15 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

how well does it run on bootcamp out of interest?

#16 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

FUCKING LIAR.

#17 Posted by Skooky (473 posts) -
#18 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@Skooky said:
You can use http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=ru to access the Russian store.  I don't know if you'll be able to buy the game though.
If someone tries this let us know if it works, I don't wanna do it and then have it be like lolno you don't live in russia and can't play your game. 

Or it's only russian or something.
#19 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@Skooky said:
You can use http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=ru to access the Russian store.  I don't know if you'll be able to buy the game though.
It let me add it to my cart for 19.99.  Not taking a chance though, don't really have the money anyways.
#20 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -
@MariachiMacabre: It sold 400k copies on its first week.
#21 Posted by Vexed (313 posts) -

You should post this on gamebomb.ru 

#22 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

@SlasherMan said:

@MariachiMacabre: It sold 400k copies on its first week.

See that makes me wonder why the huge discount. I know CD Projekt sold two studios recently. One in Budapest and one somewhere else. Maybe they're not doing very well? I hope that's not the case.

#23 Posted by Sergey (21 posts) -

@cap123: It runs pretty nice (30+ fps) on a Macbook Pro at console's standard 720p resolution with custom graphics settings resembling their medium level. But I totally understand why they used the prologue prison level when demoing it on 360 during E3. The frame rate is MUCH better when you are indoors.

#24 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

has anyone tried purchasing it from the russian site to see if it works?

#25 Posted by Chris2KLee (2334 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said:
Probably won't work. You'd need to have a Russian proxy so your IP appears to be in Russia.
#26 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -
@Chris2KLee
@Pinworm45 said:
Probably won't work. You'd need to have a Russian proxy so your IP appears to be in Russia.
You wont be able to make a purchase but gifting works fine so find yourself a russian buddy with a PayPal account
#27 Posted by Darkstalker (893 posts) -

game is a daily deal for the summer sale right now anywho. way to bump a really old thread by the way

#28 Edited by valrog (3671 posts) -

Dark Souls is also 20 dollars from what I've seen on /v/.

@Questionable said:

@Chris2KLee
@Pinworm45 said:
You wont be able to make a purchase but gifting works fine so find yourself a russian buddy with a PayPal account

Why not?

#29 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -

@valrog said:

Why not?

Valve checks not only youre IP but also where the credit card is registered

#30 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

@Questionable said:

@valrog said:

Why not?

Valve checks not only youre IP but also where the credit card is registered

Damn, now I remember that I have to verify my country even if using paysafecard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.