Witcher 2.0 Is great

#1 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

Just wanted to "inform" people that the 2.0 version of the witcher 2 is great.

It has a much better tutorial (it is now a separated thing, thou quite short), also the arena addition is quite fun too, though lacks saving, which sucks.

Also, a new difficulty setting, DARK, which I think is as hard as insane, just that you can reload (thank god).

:D

#2 Posted by excido (199 posts) -

Awesome. I loved witcher 1 and bought witcher 2 on release date but didn't get more than an hour in before I stopped playing for no real reason. when I heard version 2 was coming i decided I'd start a new game with that. Glad to hear that at least one person is enjoying the update.

#3 Posted by fishmicmuffin (1041 posts) -

The combat is perhaps the most improved. It flows a lot better than before the patch. It feels much more responsive.

#4 Posted by Fishow73 (10 posts) -

My only complaint it that they made parrying useless, as you still take a decent amount of damage while using it.

#5 Posted by SSully (4130 posts) -

I just started playing it for the first time and am loving the game.

#6 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

The update was released when I was 1-2 hours in, so I installed it and continued my game. Don't see any differences, but apparently 2.0 has more quests 

#7 Edited by mosdl (3228 posts) -

It seems to play better, load times maybe faster and the fps seem to be stabler.

#8 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I already uninstalled. I'm assuming the arena is in the last city? Since the outpost already kind of had one.

#9 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

Witcher 1.0 was great, This doesn't come as a surprise to me. Good to hear the good news thou, I'm re-downloading tonight.

#10 Posted by fishmicmuffin (1041 posts) -
@ryanwho

I already uninstalled. I'm assuming the arena is in the last city? Since the outpost already kind of had one.

It's a separate mode entirely. It's in the main menu.
#11 Posted by Tennmuerti (8014 posts) -

Yeah just finished it a couple of days ago myself.
Dark itself mode isn't that hard imo. The only time I had a major difficulty with an enemy was that motherfucking hidden boss in CH3 since even with 600hp and around 90 armor his gargoyles still just fucking 2 shot you. Not to mention his fireball strips you of shield in 1 hit.
The biggest changes in 2.0 that affected my game is that they SEVERELY nerfed dammage of bombs and throwing daggers to bosses. Making them almost useless and forcing you to fight properly without cheese :)

Going to give arena a shot this weekend.

@Fishow73 said:

My only complaint it that they made parrying useless, as you still take a decent amount of damage while using it.

There was a problem with parry before in that is you took the tallents that improved it you could be basically parrying almost forever, making you pretty much invulnurable. So that's how they decided to fix it. 
But they also changed it so when you are out of Vigor you can still parry.
Personally i dislike it too, there were probably better ways to go about nerfing parry.
#12 Posted by selbie (1848 posts) -

I'm so glad I waited :) Saw it on Steam today and bought it straight away.

#13 Posted by Tennmuerti (8014 posts) -

Also the additional ability to change hairstyles is great!

I changed Geralt's hairstyle to the same one he had in Witcher 1

#14 Posted by Giefcookie (584 posts) -

Downloading the game now for a 2nd playthrough. Excited to see the changes. And the Kaedwani side of the middle act ofcourse.

#15 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

Also the additional ability to change hairstyles is great! I changed Geralt's hairstyle to the same one he had in Witcher 1

That was already implemented in 1.2 if I recall correctly. Anyway, 2.0 is incredible.

#16 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

It's superb all round, the game should have released in this state. The combat controls feel like they've increased in responsiveness significantly.

#17 Posted by Laksa (240 posts) -

bought it last night for $18 :D downloading on steam right now. cant wait to get into the arena.

#18 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -
#19 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

Haven't played since it came out. It's definitely better optimized. My fps is higher and a lot more stable compared to the release version. I haven't really done a ton of combat yet, but overall it seems like a better experience.

#20 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

How were you able to defeat the queen endragas?

Well to put it this way, I was able to defeat the firs tone, quite easy, 10 bear traps, 1 swallow and one of those white raffards, used 7 bombs, and insect oil. Is there an easier way? Because I usually get one hit by that enemy :(

Also, is there an easy way to earn money? I feel that there is so much fun stuff to buy and try out, I am afraid chapter 2 will come before I have enough money :(

#21 Posted by Tennmuerti (8014 posts) -
@amir90 said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Well to put it this way, I was able to defeat the firs tone, quite easy, 10 bear traps, 1 swallow and one of those white raffards, used 7 bombs, and insect oil. Is there an easier way? Because I usually get one hit by that enemy :(

Also, is there an easy way to earn money? I feel that there is so much fun stuff to buy and try out, I am afraid chapter 2 will come before I have enough money :(

I used a few bombs/daggers, but obviously this just got only some of their health down. Oils/potions are pretty important in the first chapter when you are still weak.
Apart from that I just cast quen for a buffer. This way if I get hit I can still maneuver away. Quen wile nerfed still serves a great purpose to take one or to hits and keep going or disengage.
#22 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

@Tennmuerti: I see, I will re stock up and do a couple of quests before I finish this one.

What skill tree did you go for?

I am going herbalist route this time, the extra damage from oils/traps is good and there are couple of useful stuff to learn here.

Much more fun then just going swordmaster path.

#23 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

It is pretty great. I bought the game day one, then died 20 times in the first fight and never played it again. But now that this patch is out I downloaded it and am loving the game.

Also to beat the the Queen Endragas, I just rolled...... a lot...... that fight was about 10 minutes of roll, hit, roll, hit, roll, shield, roll, hit. Rinse repeat.

#24 Posted by Tennmuerti (8014 posts) -
@amir90: I went for Quen first in the magic tree then the rest in swordmaster tree.
#25 Posted by Maluvin (264 posts) -

@amir90 said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Used Yrden, roll behind them while they're stuck, hit them from behind a couple times.

#26 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

@rebgav: I think they fixed that, because I am not able to hit him before he unstucks him self, gets full health and walks away.

@Maluvin
:

Thanks, I forgot that he loses a lot more health when hitting him from the back.

Still, I will restock and level a bit more, I just remembered how useful increasing dodge speed is!:D

#27 Edited by valrog (3671 posts) -

@amir90: What I did was just wait for it to charge and roll away, if I remember correctly it gets stunned if it charges into a tree or something.Yrden, Quen, Traps and Oils also helped a great deal. I setup Snare Traps (You can get a lot of them since they're scattered around the forest in great numbers) everywhere. Oh, and strong swings are more effective than fast ones. Hope that helps.

#28 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

@valrog said:

@amir90: What I did was just wait for it to charge and roll away, if I remember correctly it gets stunned if it charges into a tree or something.Yrden, Quen, Traps and Oils also helped a great deal. I setup Snare Traps (You can get a lot of them since they're scattered around the forest in great numbers) everywhere. Oh, and strong swings are more effective than fast ones. Hope that helps.

Will try, thanks for the reply.

#29 Posted by Zapato (98 posts) -

Currently playing through Dark Mode and quite loving it. New armor and weapons have nice special effects on them. Arena is also pretty good (though I suck at it), with a very nice online ranking system tied to it.

One thing though: When W2 was launched it had a lot of things going for it but a lot of bad stuff as well due to its design philosophy. They didn't implement very basic gaming stuff very well, such as a good tutorial and explaining the lore and the characters etc. Now 2.0 did (sort of) fixed the tutorial part. But they once again made the same mistake with the Dark Mode items: there really REALLY expensive. In some games this wouldn't be a problem, but in W2 it is since the only way to make that kind of money is to find the strongest arm wrestler in the current chapter and play that mini game for 2 whole hours. That's not 'Hard' or 'Dark Mode' but just tedious.

Here's hoping that they don't forget steps like these when they finish The Witcher 3.

#30 Posted by Sn1PeR (141 posts) -
#31 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

@Sn1PeR said:

@Contro said:

VOTE for THE WITCHER 2 - BEST RPG: http://www.goldenjoystick.com/

Done.

It doesn't have much competition, so I would be shocked if it doesn't win by default. Still voted, though.

#32 Posted by easthill (351 posts) -

Playing this on Dark Mode, the game is piss easy with the cursed armor/weapons. Until the Eternal Battle. God that made me hate the game for a while.

#33 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

@easthill said:

Playing this on Dark Mode, the game is piss easy with the cursed armor/weapons. Until the Eternal Battle. God that made me hate the game for a while.

How were you able to get that armor and weapon?

#34 Posted by easthill (351 posts) -
@amir90 said:

@easthill said:

How were you able to get that armor and weapon?

Bought it with money earned from arm wrestling a few thousand times.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.