Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

A little help from the GB community before I start Witcher 3.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I bought the Witcher 3, expansion pass and all when it was on sale for a good price the last few months on the One. I've been feeling the urge to dive into an RPG lately and I want to finally give this series a shot.

It'll be my first foray into the series and was looking for advice on the lore. There's only so many hours in the day and I've made the executive decision to play the third game and skip the second game (I'm not a PC guy so the first one is off the table from the get go) but still want to have a decent idea of previous events.

With that said, does anybody have any good leads on some fairly comprehensive lore videos/write-ups of what went down in the previous two games? I figure it would be the best option to meet the series half-way and know a little bit about the world itself and it's characters before jumping in. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'll also take any general tips about the game anyone feels is worth sharing, I've played plenty of RPG's in my time but if there is something specific you feel I should know as a Witcher greenhorn, gladly bend my ear about it.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ares42

Thesetwo videos seem pretty comprehensive, but honestly there's a lot of details that really aren't very relevant as far as Witcher 3 goes.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

If you have the time, the books are a great start.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

lun49gameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played all the witcher games and when I the third game came out I read this neat guide from kotaku. It goes into detail about every major character in the series and the plots of the first two games and talks about the cities the game is set in. It would probably take you a couple of minutes to read it and after that you can probably read from the Witcher wiki if you think you need more knowledge about the games. Theres also a guide about dragon age that I used because I never beat the first dragon age and skipped the 2nd one but bought dragon age 3 when Witcher 3 was delayed to 2015.

http://kotaku.com/a-beginner-s-guide-to-the-world-of-the-witcher-1704506152

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno about the games because I haven't played any of them yet, but I'm halfway through the second Witcher book and read the short story compilations before and they're all great. I say this as an avid reader of sci-fi and fantasy. I plan on playing the games in order after I finish the books. Just hoping I don't get Witcher burn out.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It honestly doesn't really matter if you haven't played the last games. I never played the first and forgot everything about the 2nd but still followed along fine. The codex in the game does a decent job of catching you up

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

As far as the lore, I made the descision to let the game itself handle that, anything I needed to know was recapped, albeit in general terms. Now as far as the game itself, do yourself a favor and play it on Death March, at the very least play on Blood and Broken Bones. The game does not force you to use its deep and varied system of alchemy and signs on normal, and you will quickly become overpowered. I for one hate switching difficulties once I start a game, so if you're a seasoned RPG player crank it up and enjoy a deep and rewarding game!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly think that the game does a really good job itself.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@gtb08 said:

As far as the lore, I made the descision to let the game itself handle that, anything I needed to know was recapped, albeit in general terms.

@jonny_anonymous said:

I honestly think that the game does a really good job itself.

I think, in general, you guys are right that the game does a decent job of filling in newcomers with the relevant details, but I feel like I would have appreciated aspects of the game a lot less had I not played the previous games or at least been somewhat familiar with the lore.

I've seen a lot of people, several of the GB staff included, say that they really fell off right around the time they went to Novigrad for the first time. I don't think it's a coincidence that most of the Velen stuff is pretty standalone, whereas almost all the the Novigrad quests have a connection to the previous games and pre-established characters. Without at least some familiarity with those characters, the Novigrad storylines would be far less compelling.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the information everyone! I'm glad to hear the game has a decent codex as well, it's one of the things I greatly enjoyed about the Dragon Age games. Even with the Witcher 3 codex being pretty decent, I'll still set some time aside and watch the lore videos linked by Ares and Exile (especially the Shoddycast videos, I love their Fallout series so I'm really excited to watch this one) and that kotaku write-up that was put up. I've heard the books are really damn great too, I'll take a look at those after I've played the game a bit.

Thanks again for lending me a hand GB community. I'll watch the lore videos over the next couple of days while cleaning up my back log and then get Witchin'

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@ll_exile_ll: Thats a fair point, I put in another hundred hours since that point, I was a bit lost during that chapter. Also, having completed the game and all dlc I began reading the books, which are really good!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.