Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

Are you going to replay the main game for the dlc?

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By jamin

Hey so I beat the main game when it first came out but, haven't touched it in a year. Should I redo the whole game again w/ the dlc or just the dlc? Also what do you guys plan on doing?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Heck no, that game is like 50hrs long. Also that DLC doesn't factor into the story so in a way why would you? Seems completely divorced from the main game and tailor made to be played after a long break.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I'm thinking seriously about it. My NG+ faded out after 10 or 12 hours so it's probably best to just start it again.

I've been looking for an excuse to play it again, anyway.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By rethla

I think im gonna finish up my new game+ with this DLC. Im currently at the later parts of the Baron quests but i havnt played for 7 months. Ignoring all those useless filler "?" on the map and only focusing on the fun quests and story i think it will be an enjoyable 20-30hours.

Colony024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

From what I understood this latest DLC will be the last, right? I thoroughly enjoyed the base game, but haven't bought any of the DLC yet, and I was kinda thinking of waiting a while, then getting all of it in one go and starting a whole new game.

The time investment is intimidating for sure, but Witcher 3 was also some of the best times playing an RPG I had in ages. Thing is, right now I still remember quite a bit of how it all went down, so I think I might wait until more of it has been committed to ancient memory, and then go in for the 'expanded' experience. It'll be a fresh game though, I don't really go for this NG+ thing at all.

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla: so I never did the ng+ is there anything different then the main game?

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By MezZa

Yep! I haven't played it since November or so, and I haven't done either of the dlc or a new game + run so I might as well just do a full run through ng+. After I finish my re-run of Persona 4.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'll just jump straight into the DLC. Though, I might entertain going through the main story a second time just because the game is so stinking fantastic.

OKJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see any need to go back to the main game, but you may have to take a little bit of time to get used to the combat again when you fire up the DLC.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Hearts of Stone is divorced from the main game in really weird ways. Like, there's a romance in it where Geralt never once has the option to bring up the fact that he's basically got a girl, and treats me like a jerk for not trying to chat up this new character. The only reference to events that occurred in the rest of the game so far was that it mentioned that one character had died, whereas I imagine it would not have if I had done the quest before finishing the game.

The only possible reason I might recommend incorporating it in a longer playthrough is that you would get a larger opportunity to try the gear contained within, but it's not like the base game didn't have enough options.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Justin258

It's a thought that has crossed my mind, but that's one hell of a time investment. I have no idea how long my first run took me, the game didn't keep accurate track of my time, but I spent months playing that game. I got it when it came out and I think I beat it in late October?

I also didn't do a ton of world exploration. I pretty much did any side quest I came across along the main path, but I didn't really go out of my way to do them.

I probably will restart the game and just play it whenever I just want to explore a big world and do quests and stuff without much challenge and without any real intention of finishing it. Skyrim was that game for me for years and I've kinda missed having something to just fall back on when I get home from a long day at work and don't feel like playing Doom on harder difficulties or Dark Souls or something like that.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even have enough time to play the DLC, so no.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Normally I would, especially for a game I enjoyed as much as I did the Witcher 3. However, I just played it for the first time this March/April, so it's a little soon to be doing a full playthrough again, particularly for a game of this length.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Already started.

...Not sure I'll have the time to finish it though. My Hearts of Stone completed save is already level 39 so I don't really want to use that for the 35-starting Blood and Wine. Buuttt I want all my stuff so the only options are to start a new game or do NG+. I guess I just decided I want a fresh start.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jamin724: I got to keep all my items, recepies and levels. The tutorials are gone and the monsters are higher level. I havnt noticed anything substansial.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I spent 90 hours beating the game, there's no way I'm going back through it. I wouldn't have the time nevermore anything else lol.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes..?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apothaeos: No kidding. Way to undermine one of the game's huge narrative accomplishments, right?

But I wasn't shamed into doing anything. When Gunther told me to find her a gift to cheer her up, I found the nearest fast travel point and peaced out. Quest failed!

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I'm gonna play a 100 hour game again because I'm made out of time. My entire body is just the abstract concept of time where my flesh should be. I exist at all points in time. I piss temporal anomalies.

No, are you insane?

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I am working my way through the books, and will almost definitely start a new game+ once I am done with the 6th book, which is on its way to me now.

Have given me a greater appreciation for the games, and that is upon considering Witcher 3 one of the greatest RPGs of all time.

captainjudaism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I intend to play through the game again in a different way, as my first build was 100% combat and heavy armor, and go through the DLCs that way. I know I could just load up my old game and go through the DLCs that way but eh. Also going to wait until I can afford a new PC, since I'm in dire need of an upgrade, before I go through it again though.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no. Ain't nobody got time for that

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually haven't finished it, but I'm just a few missions short, so I'll do both when it comes out. I definitely wouldn't replay the whole thing though. It's a great game, but I can put those several dozen hours on others games.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Yes, just as soon as I finish Doom and Uncharted 4.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My hard drive failed and I lost my save data for the game, so I was planning on replaying it anyway. It's alright though. I adore the Witcher series, so I'm actulaly looking forward to playing through it again.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#28  Edited By megalowho

Blood and Wine looks to be huge - dozens of hours huge, 90 quests huge. If you're worried about burnout in the slightest I'd hold off on starting from scratch again.

Both DLC campaigns are side stories anyway, which serves as a good starting point for getting back into the world of The Witcher on their own.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I considered it but I am just not ready to sink that much time back into the game. I'll just play the DLC itself.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, I've had a 100% complete save including all '?' sitting there waiting, I did the same for HoS. I thought about going into NG+ but the thought of my map having ?'s all over it again made me shudder, besides TW isn't about the challenge for me.

VipeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see a bunch of no in this thread, so here's a yes! I myself have already started and am currently level 16. I will play through both DLC's for the first time and I'm excited as all hell!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't do it I was going to replay fallout 4 but got bored in 20 minutes I can replay some big open world games like all the GTA games but replaying Witcher 3 feels to crazy I thought about it though.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Considering I spent about 200 hours across 5 months finishing this fucking (amazing) game, I'm gonna go ahead and say no. As much as I would absolutely love to experience it again, I unfortunately think this was a one-and-done for me. I would definitely like to play the DLC, however, I don't know when I'll have time for that.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

No. I played Hearts of Stone DLC. That kicked my arse for a while because I'd forgotten how to play The Witcher. After a couple of hours it all came back to me and I was fine back in to it. I suspect Blood and Wine will be the same.

Avatar image for deactivated-650f737f2e2d5
    deactivated-650f737f2e2d5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've started up a NG+. I still have to play the first DLC. Sticking just to quests and completely ignoring most of the ? on the map is making things move along a lot faster for me. Plus in my initial play through I got the bad ending and I needed to rectify that shit anyway.

Avatar image for tavistavistavis
    tavistavistavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just started playing through my original game. I need to get my "skillz" back before the new dlc. I hadn't played it since I beat the first dlc, I did beat it but never started a new game+ and I don't plan on doing it before the new dlc. Maybe one day I'll get around to that ng+

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I played Hearts of Stone DLC. That kicked my arse for a while because I'd forgotten how to play The Witcher. After a couple of hours it all came back to me and I was fine back in to it. I suspect Blood and Wine will be the same.

This sums up my position as well. I usually hate dying so often in games, but the story in Heart of Stone was so strong that I didn't mind dying so often relearning to play the game. If the writing in the next expansion is anywhere near the same quality of the first DLC, then I won't have any problems with it a second time around too.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
    Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still going through NG+, can't imagine I'll finish before the new DLC comes out. NG+ on DM is pretty rough but hella fun. Running a tank build via alchemy and bear gear (over 10k hp buffed + rend for primary attack) and still getting 3-shotted by slightly higher level enemies really incentivizes smart play. Plus, got MGSV on backlog so want to finish that first.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still on the Skellige part of my first playthrough but I think I will wait until I get to NG+ before starting either of the expansions so as to give me some incentive to go back into the game instead of doing them all in one playthrough then never touching the game's NG+ when I've seen everything the game has to offer.

pkmango7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The upgrade system is so unfulfilling at lower levels I don't think I could ever stomach a fresh game.

I haven't actually played Hearts of Stone yet so I got a week to clean house!

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By TobbRobb

No, somehow the story beats really stuck with me from that game. I tend to forget story stuff quite fast, making room for mechanical stuff in 19 other games I'm playing. But yeah, Witcher 3. I got that stuff in my head still.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RonGalaxy

Already played through it twice, so nah.

cclemon36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cclemon36

I just continued my ng+ run after many months in anticipation for the upcoming dlc, but I'll load up my regular game complete save to play it. I'll play the dlc's on ng+ if / when I get there.

Notme2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im still trying to finish the main game before Blood and Wine comes out. Once I do that I will carry over that character in to B&W.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c06c6e81315
    deactivated-63c06c6e81315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finished up Hearts of Stone on NG+ and cleared all the point of interests. I'm ready and hyped.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda late now to do it... More than likely will just boot up my last save from my 2nd playthrough which should be right after hearts of stone. It would probably be a good idea though to play a little bit to get used to the controls again. HOS kinda surprised me with how difficult some of the bosses were.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My plan is to read the books before Blood and Wine is released on May 31, and then start NG+ to play through the main game a second time and the DLC for the first time.

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

(Sigh) Probably. Goddamn, this game...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.