CD Projekt Red says Witcher 3 will have absolutely no DRM

  • 54 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Krullban (1062 posts) -
#2 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

It makes me really happy to say this next statement in a postive way....

No surprise there.

Thank you, Based Witcher.

#3 Edited by Philantrophy (354 posts) -

Well I for one am excited for some more Witcher, and I like how CD Projekt do things.

#4 Edited by Zeik (2652 posts) -

I can't help but feel like they're going to kind of shoot themselves in the foot somehow with how big of a deal they're trying to make this whole "no DRM" be.

#5 Edited by cmblasko (1319 posts) -

CD Projekt Red is quickly becoming one of my favorite developers. I really hope they maintain their consumer-friendly policies and continue to make high-quality games.

#7 Posted by joshwent (2323 posts) -
@zeik said:

I can't help but feel like they're going to kind of shoot themselves in the foot somehow with how big of a deal they're trying to make this whole "no DRM" be.

Seeing as how their sister company has resurrected hundreds of incredible, yet sadly forgotten titles with tons of rare bonus content, as well as recently offering new releases, all strictly with ZERO DRM, "shooting themselves in the foot" seems unlikely.

#8 Edited by BigJeffrey (5141 posts) -

from the owners of gog. i am ready for #beard

#9 Posted by PandaBear (1379 posts) -

@joshwent said:
@zeik said:

I can't help but feel like they're going to kind of shoot themselves in the foot somehow with how big of a deal they're trying to make this whole "no DRM" be.

Seeing as how their sister company has resurrected hundreds of incredible, yet sadly forgotten titles with tons of rare bonus content, as well as recently offering new releases, all strictly with ZERO DRM, "shooting themselves in the foot" seems unlikely.

And the first Witcher game is a DRM free PC/Mac only game and still sold over 2 million copies. I think they'll be ok.

#10 Edited by geirr (2676 posts) -

I assumed there wouldn't be DRM like their past titles? But hey keep honking that horn, this game is likely a must-buy either way.

#11 Edited by ThunderSlash (1907 posts) -
#12 Posted by Demoskinos (15097 posts) -

So, then no Steam then I take it? Well not that I have a PC that could run this anyways but meh!

#13 Posted by Krullban (1062 posts) -

They pulled off the same stunt for Witcher 2, and then got caught blackmailing supposed pirates. I like CDPR, but that situation was fucked up.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/23/cd-projekt-red-admits-sending-letters-to-witcher-2-pirates-was-a-mistake/

"Yeah, it was going on," said Szóstak. "It was all about sending letters to people who we knew pirated [The Witcher 2], and say, 'Hey, we know you have the pirated version of the game, and it would be nice if you could actually pay for it if you find the game good enough.'

"Although, once we started doing that, we got lots of feedback from the community—from gamers, and not even pirates, but actually legal gamers with a legal version of the game, saying, 'You know what, guys? That’s not entirely right to do that.' And they were like, 'You’re saying that DRM is not such a great thing, and you try to give your games without it, but on the other hand, you’re doing something like that?'

"So, we’re not afraid to say that wasn’t the best choice and best solution we could have done. And that’s why we kind of resigned and we don’t do it anymore."

#14 Edited by GreggD (4510 posts) -

So, then no Steam then I take it? Well not that I have a PC that could run this anyways but meh!

It will most likely be on Steam, as well. Witcher 2 was the same situation, but it still ended up on Steam. It's just that by default, the game is DRM-free, Steam notwithstanding.

#15 Edited by csl316 (9241 posts) -

My countrymen are swell dudes.

#16 Posted by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

I will buy 2 copies for this sentiment. Thank god for CD Projekt Red.

#17 Posted by CornBREDX (5816 posts) -

That's fine but they shouldn't make a big deal out of it. Pirates gonna pirate and all. No reason to hold up a sign.

#18 Posted by LiquidPrince (16109 posts) -

This is why CD Projekt is one of my favorite developers. Also Witcher is awesome.

#19 Posted by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

@cornbredx: Yeah, if they just released it on Steam and consoles then it would solve pirating problems. At this point it is just a bit of PR spit to keep up their good company image and they actually don't respect or trust gamers who love their games.

/s

#20 Edited by mlarrabee (3029 posts) -

That's fine but they shouldn't make a big deal out of it. Pirates gonna pirate and all. No reason to hold up a sign.

The sign is held toward other developers and publishers.

#21 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3963 posts) -

Still amazed how this studio manages to do their thing. Good on them. Making PC games and watching them be pirated would be tough.

#22 Posted by CornBREDX (5816 posts) -

@mlarrabee: Developers and publishers aren't the only ones that can see the sign. It's an admirable intent they have and the reason we all love them. But still, I hate to think that it makes it harder for them to make a profit off it.

Maybe I'm being silly, but pirates don't really care if developers make money.

I'm just saying, have no DRM and have it be that. They talk about their no drm policy all the time in gaming press, I don't see a reason to focus on it so much on a game that isn't released yet. It's like a beacon.

@roarimadinosaur : I don't understand the sarcasm. If you think I'm implying they should use DRM, that's not what I'm saying at all. I am also not saying anything about only releasing on steam and consoles because that doesn't solve anything either and I never said it would (console games are pirated too ;) ). Other than that I'm super confused by what you're getting at.

#23 Edited by tourgen (4542 posts) -

I thought Atari made them put DRM in The Witcher 2 (USA version at least) and they patched it out on day 1? Pretty funny. I think they met the letter of their contract with Atari but still managed to release it more-or-less DRM free after day 1.

Anyway I'll enjoy pre-ordering their deluxe edition of The Witcher 3. Can't wait! Awesome RPG games. I still haven't seen all of the story of #2 yet. It's so nice playing PC games without all the annoying and broken DRM nonsense & random EA/Uplay/Steam login nonsense.

#24 Edited by mlarrabee (3029 posts) -

@cornbredx: Like you said, the pirates are going to pirate anyway.

I understand your position and concern for the possible damage their parading does to their bottom line, but I love that they're willing to perhaps increase piracy of their own game to inspire change about how publishers treat their customers.

#25 Posted by GreggD (4510 posts) -

@cornbredx: Then what is your point? Yeah, pirates beacon, whatever, but they've had that over them ever since GOG started up. Them mentioning it now, as has been expected from the get-go is not out of place, obviously.

#26 Edited by CornBREDX (5816 posts) -

@greggd: My point is only that I don't think they should draw attention to it so early. I get their stance, and it's cool and fine and all. I just disagree with calling attention to it for this game before the game has come out and had a chance to make any profit.

That's it, really.

#27 Posted by Zeik (2652 posts) -

I just kind of feel like trying to push it too hard, to the point it almost feels like they're doing it specifically to tap into the anti-DRM fervor. I don't really like that. I'd rather hear them hype up all the cool new stuff that's going to be in the game. That's what will get me excited for their game.

#28 Posted by GreggD (4510 posts) -

@cornbredx: Fair enough.

@zeik said:

I just kind of feel like trying to push it too hard, to the point it almost feels like they're doing it specifically to tap into the anti-DRM fervor. I don't really like that. I'd rather hear them hype up all the cool new stuff that's going to be in the game. That's what will get me excited for their game.

You are not the target audience for that selling point. Go to GOG's forums. There are a LOT of anti-DRM crazies that hang out there and refuse to buy games unless they are DRM-free (no Steam, no Origin, either). They're primarily just reassuring those people. Also, when the game launches, it will more than likely be a day-and-date release on ALL digital platforms, with a special bonus for GOG users who buy it there, tying back into their cross-promotion, which they have proven to be highly effective in the past. It makes a ton of sense, in the grand scheme of things.

#29 Posted by Zeik (2652 posts) -

@greggd: That's exactly why I think it's bothering me a bit. It feels like they're specifically pandering to that audience to get them on their side. (Or keep them there I guess.) Being anti-DRM is great and all, but it's starting to feel like they're just throwing fuel on the fire at this point by basically coming with a press release just to make sure everyone knows "WE'RE TOTALLY ANTI-DRM GUYS! Please buy our game." It just feels a little...dirty for some reason.

But whatever I guess, I'm sure the game will be great, so I guess that's what really matters. I just wish they would spend more time talking about it over DRM.

#30 Posted by Dark (398 posts) -

In this case I could easily pirate it without any trying ...

They will have my money o.o

P.S. I don't pirate, I was being facetious.

#31 Edited by Rick_Fingers (523 posts) -

This reminds me that I need to restart and finish Witcher 2.

#32 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3963 posts) -

@zeik said:

@greggd: That's exactly why I think it's bothering me a bit. It feels like they're specifically pandering to that audience to get them on their side. (Or keep them there I guess.) Being anti-DRM is great and all, but it's starting to feel like they're just throwing fuel on the fire at this point by basically coming with a press release just to make sure everyone knows "WE'RE TOTALLY ANTI-DRM GUYS! Please buy our game." It just feels a little...dirty for some reason.

But whatever I guess, I'm sure the game will be great, so I guess that's what really matters. I just wish they would spend more time talking about it over DRM.

how could it be at all dirty?

You're reaching.

#33 Posted by Zeik (2652 posts) -

@artisanbreads: Because they're riling up a group of people that are already riled up over DRM. Like I said, they're throwing fuel on a huge DRM fire. They're basically capitalizing on people's negativity toward other companies. I'm not a fan of that approach to marketing.

#34 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3963 posts) -

@zeik said:

@artisanbreads: Because they're riling up a group of people that are already riled up over DRM. Like I said, they're throwing fuel on a huge DRM fire. They're basically capitalizing on people's negativity toward other companies. I'm not a fan of that approach to marketing.

It's not an approach to marketing, it's an approach to DRM management foremost. They also run GOG.com. They believe in that stuff. There's nothing wrong with not including DRM and then advertising that you don't.

People have gotten burnt and been annoyed with shitty DRM programs over the years. This is a feature.

This is like if a game came out in the vein of Sim City and advertised "hey you don't need to always be online for our game!". Would that bother you too? Would that be dirty in some way? Even though it's a benefit to the proper user?

#35 Posted by MB (12915 posts) -

Somehow this just makes me want to give CDPR more of my money right away. Regardless of their stance on DRM, they are still my favorite modern developer. I don't even mind if this move is simply them pandering to the vocal anti-DRM crowd or not, it's still a better policy than pretty much all of their contemporaries.

Moderator
#36 Posted by Zeik (2652 posts) -

@artisanbreads: It might if they kept emphasizing it repeatedly throughout the development of the game over talking about the game itself. I have no problem with them advertising their no DRM policy, but it feels like I hear much more about that than I do their actual projects.

#37 Posted by GreggD (4510 posts) -

@zeik said:

@artisanbreads: It might if they kept emphasizing it repeatedly throughout the development of the game over talking about the game itself. I have no problem with them advertising their no DRM policy, but it feels like I hear much more about that than I do their actual projects.

That's odd, because I've heard a LOT about The Witcher series and I'm eagerly anticipating ANY kind of info on Cyberpunk.

#38 Edited by Zeik (2652 posts) -

@greggd: I don't feel like I've heard that much about The Witcher 3 yet and we know next to nothing about Cyberpunk.

But whatever, this is turning into a bigger argument than it deserves. I don't care that much.

#39 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I dig how CD Projekt does business. That said, I'm not sure I'm really up for another Witcher game. We'll have to see I guess.

#40 Posted by GreggD (4510 posts) -

@zeik said:

@greggd: I don't feel like I've heard that much about The Witcher 3 yet and we know next to nothing about Cyberpunk.

But whatever, this is turning into a bigger argument than it deserves. I don't care that much.

Alright, I'll let it go. But I'll leave you with the fact that we are not even a year from Cyberpunk, and Witcher 3 is out next year, probably Q3 or so. We'll get more info as it gets closer, we all just have to be patient, is all.

#41 Posted by kishinfoulux (2455 posts) -

Absolutely no DRM...except Steam. >_>

#42 Edited by Three0neFive (2300 posts) -
@kishinfoulux said:

Absolutely no DRM...except Steam. >_>

Only if you choose to buy it on Steam.

I don't understand why you'd bother even saying that when you clearly don't care enough about the issue to know that CDPR always puts their games out on GOG (which has zero DRM) as well. But I guess the allure of looking like a snarky internet badass always beats being a reasonable, educated person.

#43 Posted by Twinsun (488 posts) -

@kishinfoulux said:

Absolutely no DRM...except Steam. >_>

Only if you choose to buy it on Steam.

I don't understand why you'd bother even saying that when you clearly don't care enough about the issue to know that CDPR always puts their games out on GOG (which has zero DRM) as well. But I guess the allure of looking like a snarky internet badass always beats being a reasonable, educated person.

Yeah, honestly.. It's the best of both worlds, people who would like to have no drm can buy it on gog.com and people who like steam, can buy it there. That's how it should always be imo.

#44 Posted by sixnahalf (50 posts) -

yeah steam has drm i suggest you get it on steam if you want a drm. :D

#45 Posted by Vuud (2035 posts) -

WITCHA! You're all right in my book. <3 <3 <3

#46 Posted by Village_Guy (2657 posts) -

They seem like nice people, maybe I should try and get back to Witcher 2 - I only gave it a single shot after all, but I couldn't get into it at all at the time...

#47 Posted by SamStrife (1286 posts) -

@zeik: You do realise that be so vehemently opposing this statement of theirs, you have become part of the DRM crazies yourself?

This is great news for those who are into all the anti-DRM stuff. It doesn't effect me (I will buy on Steam regardless) but I'm happy its their for people who feel it necessary.

#48 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3963 posts) -

@zeik said:

@artisanbreads: It might if they kept emphasizing it repeatedly throughout the development of the game over talking about the game itself. I have no problem with them advertising their no DRM policy, but it feels like I hear much more about that than I do their actual projects.

They are not talking about it over the game itself. You have no idea what you're talking about.

They were the cover of Game Informer. Was that about the DRM?

#49 Edited by avantegardener (1144 posts) -

I'm taunt with anticipation for this game, wouldn't bother me if they required a DNA sample to play it at this stage.

#50 Edited by jakob187 (21730 posts) -

Given that CD Projekt Red owns GOG.com, this comes as no surprise.

The real question is whether they will be supporting a patcher like they had with The Witcher 2. That thing was problematic at times, even through their GOG.com version.

@kishinfoulux: They could easily pull the same trick that quite a few games do, like Bastion and such...where you can buy it through Steam, download the game, but then move it to any computer you want and it is DRM-free. That's not necessarily DRM-free, as you'd still be buying it through Steam, but the moved folder could require no further activation through Steam, ala Bastion, Super Meat Boy, etc.

Fallout 3 GOTY Edition is another game on Steam that can be moved out of the folder and used on any computer, but you have to reactivate it through Steam. Afterwards, you can move it from the Steam folder to anywhere on your computer, and moreover, GFWL is optional on that. Nonetheless, that is NOT DRM-free.

Again, given that CD Projekt Red owns GOG.com, they could very easily say "the game will only be available through DRM-free channels such as our website GOG.com and other places like Desura."

Nonetheless, Steam is an OPTION that people have. It is not the end-all be-all for a lot of games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.