Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

Colorblind options added in latest patch!

Syce300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Syce300

So I was reading the patch notes for today's patch (on PS4) and saw that the third note was about colorblind options added to make Witcher vision not the worst thing! You just go to to the gameplay section of the options menu. I was only able to load up an earlier save so far as I'm not in a investigation quest at the moment and it seems the biggest change is that quest relevant items show up as a blue/purpleish instead of the red which makes a huge difference. It also seems that scents are also the blue/purpleish which makes those stand out more as well. I sometimes spent upwards of 10 minutes pixel hunting since the red often wasn't distinct enough to catch my eye. Plus it took me over 50 hours to realize that plants and quest items were a different color in Witcher vision! The Witcher vision segments were easily my most hated parts of the game so far so thanks a lot CD Projekt for fixing this for us colorblind folks!

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Karkarov

Good stuff, they made a ton of cool changes with this one honestly. Like you no longer get a giant block of text in the corner of the screen when you switch from mouse to keyboard. I also think the vignetting is a little stronger and lots of other cool options showed up. Like hiding NPC names so you can now take a SC with a dog on the screen without it looking like crap because it says "dog" over his head.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syce300: Wow, how varied can this colorblindness thing get? I always fail on tests which determine if you can distinguish between subtle hues of green and red (by far the most common type I think), yet I see them as utterly different colours when devious mixtures don't come into play. In practice I have problems in CAD with distinguishing a bright yellow from a bright green line if it's 1 or 2 pixels wide.

I too had trouble with following scents and noticing crates which glow red when yellow-glowing items were nearby. The yellow just popped-out much more. I think both Jeff and Vinny have that rarest type of color-blindness (I can't be bothered with checking the name on Wikipedia) which involves inability to tell blue from purple.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Thank fucking god. This is exactly what I wanted.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By firecracker22

I saw that in the patch notes, and later in the options menu. CDPR seems to really be listening, because I just recently heard rumblings about the lack of color blind options from fans. Good to see it's been added.

Syce300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@qrdl said:

@syce300: Wow, how varied can this colorblindness thing get? I always fail on tests which determine if you can distinguish between subtle hues of green and red (by far the most common type I think), yet I see them as utterly different colours when devious mixtures don't come into play. In practice I have problems in CAD with distinguishing a bright yellow from a bright green line if it's 1 or 2 pixels wide.

I too had trouble with following scents and noticing crates which glow red when yellow-glowing items were nearby. The yellow just popped-out much more. I think both Jeff and Vinny have that rarest type of color-blindness (I can't be bothered with checking the name on Wikipedia) which involves inability to tell blue from purple.

I'm not an expert on the details but by my understanding there are three main types of colorblindness, two being the "red-green" types that are more common in men and one being the far rarer "blue-yellow" that isn't a sex-linked recessive. Each of those three types I believe has a couple different variations but even within those I'm pretty sure it varies a little from person to person. I'm pretty sure Jeff and Vinny have a rarer form of one of the red-green types, I think Jeff said protonopia once, which makes sense since the blue-purple issues are pretty common in most if not all red-green types. Even though I have a lot of problems with greens similar to what you state (plus a lot of darker greens straight up looking grey), the blue-purple thing is probably the most noticeable to me. If you put a blue and a purple next to each other I can tell them apart but if you give me just one I can't tell which is which, hence me not knowing if the new quest color in Witcher vision is blue or purple!

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syce300: For me it's clearly light blue, but who knows, it's all about the thresholds.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've see colors normally and have 20/13 vision. I think I'll try turning on the colorblind options just to see what changes on screen.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.