Geralt the Hipster of Rivia

#1 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4600 posts) -

As the pre-release hype train slowly builds and we get more screenshots and stuff, two things are becoming increasingly clear:

1) This game is even more goddam gorgeous than the last one, which was pretty fucking gorgeous

2) Geralt is having a mid-life crisis

Allow me to present exhibit A.

open in a new tab to bask in its glory etc etc

This encapsulates both my points perfectly. Notice the sexiness of that horse. It is a goddam beautiful thing and I want to feed it carrots. Notice also Geralt's Hair and Choice of Apparel. Despite being a cranky old Clint Eastwood-looking motherfucker, he has the hair of a much younger Brooklynite douchebag. And what the fuck is he even wearing? Chain-mail shoulder pads? Is that supposed to be ironic, due it it not being a viable form of protection in any conceivable way? You can get a slightly better look here:

Musn't forget to sculpt the leather into fake pecs. After all, if it worked for George Clooney...

Normally him dressing like some wannabe Underworld video-game asshole wouldn't be a big deal, but considering he was such a dapper fellow in W2 I can't help being a little disappointed. You needn't dress like that to impress the ladies, Geralt. Your gravelly monotone and complete lack of facial expression was quite enough.

more pics if you're interested, because seriously, even though the final game will probably not look anything like this, it's still fun to pretend:

#2 Edited by Brodehouse (9848 posts) -

I would play the Witcher if there was a mod that did a find and replace on the term 'Witcher' and replaced it with 'Hipster'. Then I would understand why the entire world hates these witchers hipsters and treats them like lepers. Wherever the witcher hipster walks, trouble follows.

Also clearly they're putting him in this tight-fitting clothing to appeal to the female demographic. Typical objectification and developers trying to make a quick buck.

#3 Edited by BIGJEFFREY (4920 posts) -

Hipster Status.

DRAG TO TOOLBAR AND ZOOM IN ON HIPSTER

#4 Posted by RicoismynamE (17 posts) -

Yip, radar locked. Geralt could pull a lady dressed as a lady.

#5 Posted by tehsorrow (64 posts) -

Let's be honest though Geralt has always had terrible haircuts. It's amazing that a guy that wears black leather jackets, has cat eyes and facial scars and long silver hair is anything but the worst character ever.

#6 Posted by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

Let's be honest though Geralt has always had terrible haircuts. It's amazing that a guy that wears black leather jackets, has cat eyes and facial scars and long silver hair is anything but the worst character ever.

He's a Dante that doesn't suck

#7 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

Hair looks dumb up close, looks fine from far away though; his hair looked kind of stupid in the last game as well. If Game of Thrones has taught me anything it's that nudity must be in every scene for no reason; Witcher 3 is failing.

#8 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

In the second short story book (The Sword Of Destiny) it's describe how Yennifer makes him put way more attention to his appearance than he likes. Seen as there's a really good chance that Yennifer is in the third game (and by really good chance I mean certainty) then it's not out of the question to expect Geralt putting more effort into making himself more appealing for her for their reunion or hell, he may have already met her at this point and she's made him get that hair cut.

That's the crazy Witcher geek in me trying to justify what is, most likely, just one of many haircuts the developers have decided to show off. You can get a similar cut in the second game.

#9 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3794 posts) -

Looking forward to changing his armor out quick cause yes this new stuff looks dumb. It looks like stuff you'd see in most other fantasy games, where by comparison Witcher 2 has probably the best armor in any fantasy game, so that's a shame.

#10 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3794 posts) -

Guys guys guys, gameplay video:

http://leadergamer.com.tr/witcher-3-gamescom-oyun-ici-videosu-sizdirildi-49675.html

So the intro video is awesome, and the environments looks so damn nice. I love how natural they look now because it's open world.

#11 Posted by themangalist (1731 posts) -

I loved Witcher 2 and I'm excited to play the sequel, and hopefully see the Nilfgaardian invasion in full. BUT I have to say the mountains and little trees on top of it look really terrible in comparison to the beautiful graphics in the foreground.

Looking forward to changing his armor out quick cause yes this new stuff looks dumb. It looks like stuff you'd see in most other fantasy games, where by comparison Witcher 2 has probably the best armor in any fantasy game, so that's a shame.

I agree that the armor design is pretty bad as well :/ Geralt's bearded look seems a bit off and I don't quite know why.

I don't know. There's something about the art direction/graphics engine that is pushing the wrong buttons for me. When it comes out I doubt I'd be bothered by any of this (when I have a subpar PC), but just looking at the screens I was hoping for better.

#12 Posted by tehsorrow (64 posts) -

In the second short story book (The Sword Of Destiny) it's describe how Yennifer makes him put way more attention to his appearance than he likes. Seen as there's a really good chance that Yennifer is in the third game (and by really good chance I mean certainty) then it's not out of the question to expect Geralt putting more effort into making himself more appealing for her for their reunion or hell, he may have already met her at this point and she's made him get that hair cut.

That's the crazy Witcher geek in me trying to justify what is, most likely, just one of many haircuts the developers have decided to show off. You can get a similar cut in the second game.

She dresses him up for Thanedd in Times of Contempt too so there's certainly a precedent, although my guess is they won't be reunited til at leas the last half of the game.

#13 Posted by leebmx (2238 posts) -

Geralt is a sexy motherfucker and you people are crazy...with those shoulder pads he is obviously channelling a Joan Collins, mid-80's Dynasty look. With a beard.

#14 Posted by jiggajoe14 (665 posts) -

Geralt is a modern-day Andy Warhol.

#15 Posted by MEATBALL (3185 posts) -

Laughed at this thread. Great stuff.

#16 Posted by ajamafalous (11958 posts) -

That's a Rob Van Dam-looking haricut if I've ever seen one.

#17 Edited by Poppduder (460 posts) -

@samstrife said:

She dresses him up for Thanedd in Times of Contempt too so there's certainly a precedent, although my guess is they won't be reunited til at leas the last half of the game.

I appreciate the level of nerding out there is about the Witcher right here. ^^^

#19 Posted by Milkman (16647 posts) -

Look at that fucking horse.

#20 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5405 posts) -

Next gen fire confirmed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.