Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

Help in getting a new graphics card for The Witcher 3

Panthalassa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a video card that can run the Witcher on the highest settings, I've just recently gotten into gaming on the computer and not well versed in the technical side of a computer; meaning that i have no idea what i'm doing. I'm on a 250$ budget.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@panthalassa: What PSU and case do you have? You're going to be limited by those factors.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Karkarov

The test machines CDProjekt has been using which can max all but hair physics at 1080p 60fps uses a single GTX 980. So consider that.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get the 980.

Panthalassa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Panthalassa

@mb: The Computer is A Digital Storm PC FX4300 Vanquish L2, i think the PSU is a Corsair CX430W.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/components-item.asp?prodid=965806

RainDog505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

For your budget and based upon your spec sheet there is not much I'd recommend. You appear to have a R9 card--newest AMD GPU generation-- so any "better" card from AMD will be a higher ended card from a previous generation (HD 7970, HD 6970).

Unless you can bump your budget up to about 400 dollars, you should stick with what you have. Even if you were to afford a hoss card like a 290x or gtx 980, you'd likely need to up your PSU.

Maybe consider a console version if you can bare with knowing you'll have to play the PC version at medium-minimum settings

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mike

@panthalassaOk...looks like your case size is standard and should support a full length graphics card, so no need to be concerned about that part.

With a $250 budget, if I were in your position I would go with a 4GB AMD R9 290. Your PSU is pretty low, but it should work. The CX430M is a great PSU with very high efficiency across the entire load range and 32A / 384W on the 12V rail. However, if it ends up not being able to handle the R9 290, you should be prepared to either upgrade your PSU or plan ahead and buy the GPU from a vendor like Amazon with easy exchanges.

I did a quick search and there are a number of people running that PSU with an R9 290, so it should be fine.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

The test machines CDProjekt has been using which can max all but hair physics at 1080p 60fps uses a single GTX 980. So consider that.

Get the 980.

Guys, $250 budget.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@mb:I don't know much about AMD processors, but will the 4300 handle The Witcher 3? I've spend a few minutes poking around on Google and if I had that processor, I wouldn't be %100 sure about running Witcher 3 on it just yet.

@panthalassa - Do you have a PS4 or Xbox One? Those versions still look pretty nice and, from what I understand, seem to run at a pretty solid 30FPS. That might wind up being a better experience for you.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: The FX-4300 is fine, it's a 3.8Ghz quad core. It's not a great CPU but it isn't total garbage or anything.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Marz

If you haven't preordered witcher 3 yet or something, get a 970 it'll cost around 300-320$ but it comes with the Witcher 3 and Arkam Knight codes. Just ask a friend to let you borrow an extra 50$ or something and give him the arkham knight code :P

caska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would also suggest looking at any 9xx series video card that fits your budget seeing as they have their Witcher 3 promotion going on.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@caska said:

I would also suggest looking at any 9xx series video card that fits your budget seeing as they have their Witcher 3 promotion going on.

@panthalassa Yup, the 970 and 80 come with Witcher 3 - so if you have a preorder, cancel it and add that cash to your budget for a graphics card.

Go the 970 if possible (250 + 60 = 310, so you should be in the range for it)

EDIT: Oh wow, you get the new Batman too - using the above math, this is an example of what's within your budget;

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-970-4GD5T-OC/dp/B00NN0GIA0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1431170214&sr=8-6&keywords=gtx+970

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:
    @karkarov said:

@asilentprotagonist said:

Get the 980.

Guys, $250 budget.

Lul I wasn't telling him to buy one, I was just letting him know what was needed to "max" out the system. I should have rephrased the end bit as I meant more "consider those specs in your purchase so you know what kind of performance to expect".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.