Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

How do you think will CDPR make the open world interesting?

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OfficeGamer

There's 100 hours worth of hand-crafted quests, and there will no longer be "go there kill X Nekkers" quests. I honestly have no idea how The Witcher 3's "20% bigger than Skyrim" world will not be boring. What the hell are they going to fill that world with with? Any quest you can think of to be approached with swords and spells has been done to death in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. I mean, when you list the quests of both Witcher games and the last 3 Elder Scrolls games, you're left with, not a whole lot.

We've scoured dungeons and crypts, done all kinds of fetch quests, killed tons of creatures for bounty, defended cities from attacks, exterminated beasts dwelling under people's homes, burglarized towns, found ale stashes for angry wives. What else is there?

So please list your ideas of how playing a Witcher game set in a massive world can still be fun and exciting. Basically what I'm talking about is side quests and world/AI interactions.

The only thing I can think of is the medieval atmosphere of Witcher 1 and 2 that will trump the atmosphere of other open world games such as Skyrim and Far Cry 3. The dirty cities, the beggars, kids running around, creepy alleyways, etc. Witcher 3's atmosphere and graphics and environments will basically deliver Skyrim quests in an alternative, better looking style, but that doesn't sound enough to cut it.

An interesting post that may answer my question somewhat:

According to the GI article, the monster hunting is going to involve more preparation activities.
    So first you need to activate your "witcher senses" to do a little investigation, look for clues, which are either scattered around or you hear Geralt talking to himself about what he thinks might have happened. It is used to narrow down a list of potential culprits, so eventually you are left with only one monster being the cause of trouble.
    Then, you search for books to know more about the monster, the potions you should use or his weak points. You might skip that and just go in "swords blazing", but you will be underpowered. Proper preparation might for example teach you some kind of special move, that will insta-kill the monster if executed properly during the fight.
    crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By crazyleaves

It will be a third person arpg. That's what will make it different, and it is made by CDPR.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Well, since Geralt is a static character I think I might actually give a shit about how I impact the world. Also, it might not play as terribly as the TES games.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By musubi

Well you have a cell phone and.....

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Detail, graphics, small and quick dungeon crawls, enemy variety, and very missable sidequests only given to the most intricate of explorers.

I do disagree on the fan plea for more sidequests. I'm starting to get bored of this lazy way of increasing content. I'd rather have a small amount of quests that entail unique events and enemies, something that The Witcher 2 did exceptionally well.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

@Demoskinos said:

Well you have a cell phone and.....

HEY, GERALT! WANNA GO BOWLING?!

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By abendlaender

In one interview they mentioned looking at the Gothic series and that was when I stopped and knew that all will be well. Cause Gothic 2 had an Open World (kinda sorta not really) and was amazing. Maybe one of the best RPGs ever made. Looking at that instead of Skyrim is a smart move

SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I really want Evan Lahti's Witcher/DBZ spin-off of Geralt constantly grimacing and then screaming to come to fruition. At the end of the game, he screams over a fade to black.

And then the true ending DLC begins with a fade-in scream.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By linkster7

@OfficeGamer said:

According to the GI article, the monster hunting is going to involve more preparation activities.
    So first you need to activate your "witcher senses" to do a little investigation, look for clues, which are either scattered around or you hear Geralt talking to himself about what he thinks might have happened. It is used to narrow down a list of potential culprits, so eventually you are left with only one monster being the cause of trouble.
    Then, you search for books to know more about the monster, the potions you should use or his weak points. You might skip that and just go in "swords blazing", but you will be underpowered. Proper preparation might for example teach you some kind of special move, that will insta-kill the monster if executed properly during the fight.

So every monster you have to hunt down is kinda like a episode of Supernatural or something? That does sound awesome, but it comes down to how varied or unique they are.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SlashDance

I just hope they're not too ambitious with their huge map and dynamic storytelling. It sounds like a pretty big undertaking for a team that never made an open world game before.

This game as the potential to be the best roleplaying game/adventure game since the creation of the universe, but there's also so many ways they could fuck it up... I guess we'll know soon enough.

SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@Linkster7 said:

@OfficeGamer said:

So every monster you have to hunt down is kinda like a episode of Supernatural or something? That does sound awesome, but it comes down to how varied or unique they are.

From my experience with the series in the books and games, the enemy types and their weaknesses are pretty varied. There's stuff that's in general categories and have general weaknesses across those categories, but specific enemies have specific weaknesses.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I hope they take notes from Red Dead as far as the dynamic events that pop up and the Stranger system.

I also really like how they've been saying there will be a focus on being a Witcher. If a lot of the towns have a big issue you can help out with, that would be interesting. The intro cinematic from Witcher 1 is a good example of what I'm talking about. And when you solve the issue there can be consequences however you handle it that will change the environment.

@SlashDance said:

I just hope they're not too ambitious with their huge map and dynamic storytelling. It sounds like a pretty big undertaking for a team that never made an open world game before.

This game as the potential to be the best roleplaying game/adventure game since the creation of the universe, but there's also so many ways they could fuck it up... I guess we'll know soon enough.

I agree very much. I have a lot of faith in this team but it sounds so daunting from how they've laid it all out. I hope it delivers, because the idea of merging the strengths of linear story based RPGs with the freedom of open world RPGs... that'd be a really big deal.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By breadfan

Boobs.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Tennmuerti

Well the world being huge does not by itself mean they have to fill it full of caves and dungeons out the wazoo like Skyrim, in fact i expect a lot of really nasty terrain that will make navigation tougher and also use up a lot of the real estate area. Also remember how dense and lush the previous 2 Withcer games made some of their areas like the swamp in 1 and the forest in 2's first major area. Filling out the world space that way. Where i'm getting from is Skyrim's boredom stemmed largely of doing samey dungeons and caves over and over. Even when quests were associated with them they were largely just about going through enemy infested areas as there were very few other mechanics to occupy you. The difference is in your basic quest design approach Skyrim had some variation but it was limited by 2 major things: everyone should be able to do everything approach and also the limited tool set at the hands of the player for actions that are not combat. It is a problem area that the previous 2 Witcher games do not have which will allow CDPR to diversify the quests. Secondly lets look at the narrative side of the quests in all the Witcher games they all had some personality to them and and many had interesting twists like investigating a brothel being run be vampires and deciding what to do about it or the several ways you could have handled the troll problem. Their writing is just plain better which goes a long long way. Finally Geralt is actually capable of having proper nuanced conversations with people, in the Witcher series this is a large part of the gameplay.

Witcher 2's problem was that it mostly narrowly focused almost it's entire efforts on the main path not the side stuff. But CDPR is quite capable of making some great fleshed out content if we look at Witcher 1. And that first game already had huge amount of side content hours wise. It would just have to be multiplied several fold. Which is the hard part.

Combine the much better writing of CDPR, gritty world of Witcher, the lush graphics/environments, dialogue interaction and a more diverse player toolset. There, now you can achieve a 100 hours worth of side content which is way more interesting to do. It's a herculean task but it's technically doable.

Dangerloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By Dangerloves

I just hope they do something better with the importing saves. Because my Witcher one experiencing was not my Witcher 2 story. What no Shanni? I purposely went out of my way to spite Triss in the first and second (Yes I know Triss is an important character in the Wiction universe etc). In fact at the end of my first Witcher experience, Geralt was supposedly moving out to the country side to settle down with Shanni and that adopted brat Alvin. One of the few major disappointments for me with the sequel. I didn't like that and the combat, also the Jedi mindtrick and renegade / paragon dialogue choices - lame. What may in Mass Effect doesn't always work in the Witcher. If they totally retconed the game again. I wouldn't be disappointed, in fact that would be good considering they've made Geralt pass out so many times he should have a fainting couch.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By John1912

Well I would really love a better crafting system, with items I actually care about. Id like it if the combat had some more impact. You feel like your beating people with a foam sword half the time. Properly populated caves and dungeons would be great, something Bethesda has never done.

Should be a hierarchy to the mobs in those areas. There should be a mini boss that is relevant to the cave or dungeon. Something at least that doesnt make me think "Hey there is a cave, ill check that out!". Something that gives a small goal and doesnt male me feel completely fucking stupid for wasting my time killing two rats, or two worthless assholes sitting by a fire. Give it some flare, a bit of sense that it has a story even if one isnt explained or even told.

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#17  Edited By fistfulofmetal

I really hope they put a lot of effort into monster hunting. The entire aspect of The Witcher fiction is fascinating in how it's approached. The first and second game each did it differently and I would like 3 to combine and refine them into a single gameplay feature.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Raven10

I'll be interested to see if they pull it off. The first Witcher game was pretty shaky at launch. Took a lot of patches to really bring it up to snuff, and it wasn't until the Enhanced Edition that they really made it a great game. The second game was a lot more polished but still took a fair amount of post-release work to make it as good as it is today. I wouldn't be surprised to see The Witcher 3 ship with a fair amount of bugs and flaws that are then are patched over the course of the next year. That said, I'm sure the gameplay will be great and the story will be brilliant. But CDPR is very ambitious with their tech, and they are often foiled by it. Not saying that is going to happen this time but I wouldn't expect anything close to perfection upon launch. A year later the game will be pretty mad brilliant but until then it will be a great but flawed game.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By golguin

You can simply have plenty of small contained storylines in side quests where those characters matter in whatever village or town you encounter them. It doesn't have to be save the world stuff.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, if they make it more like Gothic and less like TES, there's no doubt in my mind that this will not be a masterpiece.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.