Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

It's got a collectible card game

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pyrodactyl
    Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm so into this. Of course it must have gratuitous nudity and there has to be at least like a couple thousand women you can bang in the Witcher 3; that's thousands of card options for building your deck.

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Wait so it's taking the sex cards to its logical conclusion?

No Caption Provided

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By meptron

I've heard it's very similar to Magic: the gathering. Except in Magic you tap mana, in the Witcher you tap ass.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they weren't trying so hard to present The Witcher as a legitimately mature RPG I might let the idea of "sex cards" pass, but you can't have it both ways. Making banging everything that moves into a collectable card game is really fucking dumb.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
    deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sold. Done. Sign me up and take my money.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tuxfool
    No Caption Provided

@zeik: Maybe a little research is in order?

also...poor fucking infantry

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@zeik said:

If they weren't trying so hard to present The Witcher as a legitimately mature RPG...

Wait, who's doing that? Who's "they"? I've never seen anyone from CD Projekt RED say anything about their game being "serious" or "legitimate" or putting their game on a pedestal above anything else. Just because they're adults making games for an adult audience doesn't mean they can't include dumb shit.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tuxfool: I played The Witcher 1. Geralt banged everything he could so he could collect trophy cards of his encounters. It was really dumb, because there was no consequences for any of it. You were literally rewarded with psuedo-achievements for trying to have sex with everything.

I don't want them to make that mistake again with The Witcher 3. Not with all the talk of your actions having meaningful consequences.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@zeik: The Witcher 3 doesn't have sex cards.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tuxfool

@zeik said:

I don't want them to make that mistake again with The Witcher 3. Not with all the talk of your actions having meaningful consequences.

They weren't in W2, so they wouldn't bring those relics back.

There will still be nudity (and more?) in the game. Alas Geralt can't go full nude as they worried about the difficulty with animating his dick in the open world.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

@zeik said:

If they weren't trying so hard to present The Witcher as a legitimately mature RPG...

Wait, who's doing that? Who's "they"? I've never seen anyone from CD Projekt RED say anything about their game being "serious" or "legitimate" or putting their game on a pedestal above anything else. Just because they're adults making games for an adult audience doesn't mean they can't include dumb shit.

Just look at that last trailer they released, with all the talk of how they're tackling serious subjects like "racism". They definitely talk like they're trying to make this some bigger and more meaningful than your average RPG. And they've definitely talked about how your actions are supposed to have meaningful consequences many times. If sex never has consequences it's kinda hard to take the rest of that seriously.

But it's good to know The Witcher 3 is at least avoiding that whole sex card thing. Hopefully that means they will also treat sex with some amount of seriousness. I'm all for allowing dumb sexual encounters with random chicks, but if you're banging every thing with boobs across the countryside I'd like to see it come back and bite you in the ass later if they let you have a love interest.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tuxfool

@zeik said:

@joshwent said:

Just look at that last trailer they released, with all the talk of how they're tackling serious subjects like "racism". They definitely talk like they're trying to make this some bigger and more meaningful than your average RPG.

Racism, despite being clumsily highlighted in that trailer has always been part of the Witcher world. You played the previous games so you must know it is extremely prevalent.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tuxfool: I wasn't implying it's somehow unique to The Witcher 3. I'm just showing that they've made a point to highlight their "mature" subject matter. It's not by accident.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@zeik said:

And they've definitely talked about how your actions are supposed to have meaningful consequences many times. If sex never has consequences it's kinda hard to take the rest of that seriously.

But sometimes sex is just... inconsequential. I've only played The Witcher 1 and like half of one playthrough of 2, but at least in that the understanding between Geralt and Triss was always very clear that they were not monogamous. Triss as well. So Geralt's trists just would have not really affected the story after they happened.

My larger point is that there's no need for a work to be in a specific category of "seriousness". If Schindler's List had a really effective fart joke, it wouldn't necessarily somehow lessen the overall effect of its theme. The separation of "high art" and "base" things is a distinction made by antiquated critics who sought to keep their preferred media out of reach of the lower classes. They were wrong then and are even more so now.

So if CD Project can make some powerful statements about racism and include a bunch of effective cheesy shit too, more power to 'em.

Anyway, back on this thread, I'm a huge CCG fan, and this weird addition to The Witcher 3 seems really cool. Hope it's good!

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zeik

@joshwent: I'm not saying dumb shit is not allowed in an otherwise serious game, I just think the way they handled it in The Witcher 1 was exceptionally dumb and it lowered my opinion of the game. By your analogy, it was not a "really effective fart joke", it was a crass and out of place fart joke that didn't really fit the rest of the story.

Sex can be inconsequential, but it shouldn't universally inconsequential. Even if they want to suggest that someone like Triss is fine with it, I feel like there should be potential consequences elsewhere in the world. If you sex up the mayor's daughter it should be possible for him to find out and kick you out of town or cut you off from certain things or something. In Witcher 1 you could sex up the princess while she's cursed by evil magic and it has no negative consequences at all. That's just dumb. (It's not like it was even a big surprise reveal. They gave numerous hints that someone like Geralt should have picked up on, but ignores or remains oblivious to so he can sex her.)

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@tuxfool: I wasn't implying it's somehow unique to The Witcher 3. I'm just showing that they've made a point to highlight their "mature" subject matter. It's not by accident.

That's a really silly way at looking at it. its not trying to 'highlight' its matter or show its an adult game by having that in it, the world was created before these games and its always dealt with this and been here. Why would they remove it?

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope it's as good as Triple Triad. Also I hope you can break down the hero cards into like 100 Meteor spells to Junction to Squall's strength so Renzokuken hits the damage limit.

#JunctionSystemReturns2k15

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zeik

@pause422 said:

@zeik said:

That's a really silly way at looking at it. its not trying to 'highlight' its matter or show its an adult game by having that in it, the world was created before these games and its always dealt with this and been here. Why would they remove it?

Uh, what? Don't twist my words, I didn't say or imply anything about removing it. I was responding to the guy who said CDPR has never tried to market their game as "mature". They have, as that trailer shows. The "matureness" of the subject matter is a selling point of The Witcher games, and they know that, which is why they specifically point it out in a trailer. Nothing about any of that is implying such a thing should be removed from the game. I'm kinda saying the opposite, if anything.

(Sorry for derailing this topic so much TC. I didn't expect this to drag out so long.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.